Inspiron 5150 - Need Information

Last response: in Computer Brands
May 25, 2004 6:17:42 PM

I would appreciate if anyone who owned this laptop
can give me an opinion both pros and con.
I am in a market for laptop and thinking of getting
Inspiron 5150.
I am particularly interested to know what brand of modem
does this unit has. Right now I only use modem to connect.
I am would to know if it connect at least 49 or higher speed
at connection time. I tested a Toshiba A40, with mobile P4
2.66GHz laptop for 7 days. The speed it give me was 46.6 kbs. I have
to disconnet several times dial again, before it will give
49.9 kbs and higher speed.
Thanks to all who can give me information.

E-mail: tseng@cc.umanitoba.ca
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 6:17:43 PM

tseng@cc.umanitoba.ca (Linda Tseng) wrote:

> I would appreciate if anyone who owned this laptop
>can give me an opinion both pros and con.
>I am in a market for laptop and thinking of getting
>Inspiron 5150.
> I am particularly interested to know what brand of modem
>does this unit has. Right now I only use modem to connect.
>I am would to know if it connect at least 49 or higher speed
>at connection time. I tested a Toshiba A40, with mobile P4
>2.66GHz laptop for 7 days. The speed it give me was 46.6 kbs. I have
>to disconnet several times dial again, before it will give
>49.9 kbs and higher speed.

The modem will be a standard 56K modem. What you are seeing with
that Toshiba, or with any other modem, is the variability of the
phone lines you are using, and not the modem itself. Before I
moved over to a cable internet connection, on any given day I
could see dial-up speeds ranging from the low 40s to the low 50s,
with an occasional dip to the high 30s. Most often I would
connect at 49 kbps. But there were no guarantees. At my then
office, which used the same telephone company central office but
was several thousand feet closer to it, we never got over 43.3 on
a dial-up. Never. Had to go ISDN [anyone remember that?] to get
anything decent.

[Prolly intentional on Bell-Atlantic's part.]
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

Linda Tseng wrote:

> I would appreciate if anyone who owned this laptop
> can give me an opinion both pros and con.
> I am in a market for laptop and thinking of getting
> Inspiron 5150.
> I am particularly interested to know what brand of modem
> does this unit has. Right now I only use modem to connect.
> I am would to know if it connect at least 49 or higher speed
> at connection time. I tested a Toshiba A40, with mobile P4
> 2.66GHz laptop for 7 days. The speed it give me was 46.6 kbs. I have
> to disconnet several times dial again, before it will give
> 49.9 kbs and higher speed.
> Thanks to all who can give me information.

I use this notebook primarily as a portable "Desktop
Replacement" system and it serves this function well.
As for the built-in modem, I have connected at ~50 kbs
with occasional time-outs but these really depend on
the quality of the telephone connection and line. More
important for me is the 10/100 onboard LAN connection.
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 1:45:37 PM

On 25 May 2004 14:17:42 GMT, tseng@cc.umanitoba.ca (Linda Tseng) wrote:

> I would appreciate if anyone who owned this laptop
>can give me an opinion both pros and con.
>I am in a market for laptop and thinking of getting
>Inspiron 5150.
> I am particularly interested to know what brand of modem
>does this unit has. Right now I only use modem to connect.
>I am would to know if it connect at least 49 or higher speed
>at connection time. I tested a Toshiba A40, with mobile P4
>2.66GHz laptop for 7 days. The speed it give me was 46.6 kbs. I have
>to disconnet several times dial again, before it will give
>49.9 kbs and higher speed.
> Thanks to all who can give me information.

I have an Inspiron 5150 and I like it very much. It's a bit heavier than
the Inspirion 4000 I replaced. It does get a bit warm when sitting on
ones lap but that is not where I normally use my laptop.

That being said, I don't think your quest for a laptop that will give
you the fastest dial-up modem speed is in vane. You see, the
computer being used for a dial-up modem speed has little to
do with the speed in which you actually connect. More mundane
to that is the telephone facility being used to connect to your ISP.

I normally use my 5150 with a wireless access to my Linksys
Router to get onto the Internet. I do occasionally take the laptop
away from home and have to rely upon dial-up access but
the speed in which I connect varies with every dial-up line I
use.

Jack Mac
!