copy and paste doesn't work in explorer

September 8, 2005 12:03:02 PM

here's a strange one...

when i'm in windows explorer and try to drag n drop or copy and paste a file
or folder from one disk to another or from one folder to another, it won't.

i can click on a file and then right click on the copy menu item but when i
click on a destination folder and right click to paste, it's grayed out. i
can copy and paste ok in notepad. also if i click on a desktop icon and then
right click and copy, when i then click on the desktop and right click, paste
is grayed out on the menu.

minimized programs don't sit on the task bar, the minimized items sit above
the taskbar as a titlebar with a maximize, minimize and x buttons.

any ideas short of reloading windoze?

--
a few miles from nowhere...
September 8, 2005 12:13:05 PM

Happens to me somtimes but not always

"soscc" wrote:

> here's a strange one...
>
> when i'm in windows explorer and try to drag n drop or copy and paste a file
> or folder from one disk to another or from one folder to another, it won't.
>
> i can click on a file and then right click on the copy menu item but when i
> click on a destination folder and right click to paste, it's grayed out. i
> can copy and paste ok in notepad. also if i click on a desktop icon and then
> right click and copy, when i then click on the desktop and right click, paste
> is grayed out on the menu.
>
> minimized programs don't sit on the task bar, the minimized items sit above
> the taskbar as a titlebar with a maximize, minimize and x buttons.
>
> any ideas short of reloading windoze?
>
> --
> a few miles from nowhere...
September 8, 2005 2:58:57 PM

soscc wrote:

> here's a strange one...
>
> when i'm in windows explorer and try to drag n drop or copy and paste
> a file or folder from one disk to another or from one folder to
> another, it won't.
>
> i can click on a file and then right click on the copy menu item but
> when i click on a destination folder and right click to paste, it's
> grayed out. i can copy and paste ok in notepad. also if i click on a
> desktop icon and then right click and copy, when i then click on the
> desktop and right click, paste is grayed out on the menu.
>
> minimized programs don't sit on the task bar, the minimized items sit
> above the taskbar as a titlebar with a maximize, minimize and x
> buttons.
>
> any ideas short of reloading windoze?

Do you have a Dell? If so, go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the
Dell Media Experience. If not, post back and let us know a few more
things such as:

1. Were you ever able to copy properly? If yes, what changed between the
time things worked and the time they didn't?

2. What is the virus/malware status of the computer? If you think it is
clean, what did you do to determine this? Be sure:
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing...

3. Have you done the normal maintenance of emptying your Temporary and
Temporary Internet Files folders?
http://aumha.org/a/health.htm - Take Out the Trash (section 4)

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

"=?Utf-8?B?c29zY2M=?=" <soscc@discussions.microsoft.com> writes:
>here's a strange one...

>when i'm in windows explorer and try to drag n drop or copy and paste a file
>or folder from one disk to another or from one folder to another, it won't.

>i can click on a file and then right click on the copy menu item but when i
>click on a destination folder and right click to paste, it's grayed out. i
>can copy and paste ok in notepad. also if i click on a desktop icon and then
>right click and copy, when i then click on the desktop and right click, paste
>is grayed out on the menu.

>any ideas short of reloading windoze?

Long ago I had similar problems. A guy I know who was always good at
this suggested I used the toolbar in Network Neighborhood for file
copies, within a drive, between drives or between computers. It worked
when I had been fighting this unsuccessfully for a week. Hopefully
this might help you.

>--
>a few miles from nowhere...
July 6, 2009 7:58:45 PM

I don't have an answer for this problem, but I have found a work-around. Im running Windows 7 - IE 8. I have been pasting into Notepad then doing the copy there and then pasting where I wanted it. I use the copy and paste a lot in Yahoo! mail to put full headers into forwards to FCC, etc inre "phishing" emails.
November 23, 2009 10:51:55 AM

I have this same problem but mine might be a little different as mine will not load any "Users" or the "Users Settings" only windows core basics for windows to run so I get no Internet no Sound because none of the services will start http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/frown.gif so its rendered my computer useless I'm suspecting corrupt registry settings as I had a brownout so I left the computer off for about 4 days before i got back to it to use it again and this is the state I was left in http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/frown.gif so if there is a portable registry fix to fully repair it to its original SP3 state I would like to know and be much appreciated for a link thanks in advance.
!