Dell printers - what quality

What is the quality of Dell printers, particularly the 720 and A920?

What is the operating cost of consumables, i.e., how parsimonious is it
with ink?

I'm ordering an Inspiron for my son who's about to attend college. Dell
offers a free 720 and a $35 upgrade to the all-in-one A920. Of course,
they're not really free as there's an $11 shipping charge, despite the fact
that the system itself has free shipping.

Yet if the printer is of decent quality it's worth it, as his needs are not
great. But if it's junk it will probably have to be replaced and so not
worth getting in the first place.

Typically I don't order a printer or scanner with a system but buy them
separately, HP for printers, Espon for scanners. I have an HP LJ4 from 1993
(!) that's still my main printer for b/w. (Low cost.)

TIA.

Dell printers are made by Lexmark but use Dell-specific ink cartridges.
Lexmark printers are notorious for expensive ink consumption. We've got
an A940 for light duty use, and it has been alright for that, but if you
plan to run a lot of paper through it (is your son an English major?)
you would be much better off buying, for instance, an HP printer, even
at additional cost.

Roy Gordon wrote:
> What is the quality of Dell printers, particularly the 720 and A920?
>
> What is the operating cost of consumables, i.e., how parsimonious is it
> with ink?

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

the A920 is a rebadged samsung i believe
"Roy Gordon" <royg_XOUT@sonic_xout.com> wrote in message
> What is the quality of Dell printers, particularly the 720 and A920?
>
> What is the operating cost of consumables, i.e., how parsimonious is it
> with ink?
>
> I'm ordering an Inspiron for my son who's about to attend college. Dell
> offers a free 720 and a $35 upgrade to the all-in-one A920. Of course,
> they're not really free as there's an $11 shipping charge, despite the
fact
> that the system itself has free shipping.
>
> Yet if the printer is of decent quality it's worth it, as his needs are
not
> great. But if it's junk it will probably have to be replaced and so not
> worth getting in the first place.
>
> Typically I don't order a printer or scanner with a system but buy them
> separately, HP for printers, Espon for scanners. I have an HP LJ4 from
1993
> (!) that's still my main printer for b/w. (Low cost.)
>
> TIA.

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

I purchased an A960 with the stand alone fax, and the document feeder. The
printer does a nice job, and I like the fax. The inks are expensive, and
don't last long, but the printer was cheap at about $141.00. I would suggest
buying a HP printer. HP makes a very nice line of printers, but I wanted to
try something different.

"Tom Almy" <tomalmy@aracnet.com> wrote in message
> Dell printers are made by Lexmark but use Dell-specific ink cartridges.
> Lexmark printers are notorious for expensive ink consumption. We've got
> an A940 for light duty use, and it has been alright for that, but if you
> plan to run a lot of paper through it (is your son an English major?)
> you would be much better off buying, for instance, an HP printer, even
> at additional cost.
>
> Roy Gordon wrote:
> > What is the quality of Dell printers, particularly the 720 and A920?
> >
> > What is the operating cost of consumables, i.e., how parsimonious is it
> > with ink?

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Ahh my mistake please forgive me i was getting my models mixed up the A960
is a lexmark rebadged but the Dell Laser Printer 1600n is a SAMSUNG and as
far as I understand the new Colour Laser in the UK will be a rebadged Xerox
"Tom Almy" <tomalmy@aracnet.com> wrote in message
> Dell printers are made by Lexmark but use Dell-specific ink cartridges.
> Lexmark printers are notorious for expensive ink consumption. We've got
> an A940 for light duty use, and it has been alright for that, but if you
> plan to run a lot of paper through it (is your son an English major?)
> you would be much better off buying, for instance, an HP printer, even
> at additional cost.
>
> Roy Gordon wrote:
> > What is the quality of Dell printers, particularly the 720 and A920?
> >
> > What is the operating cost of consumables, i.e., how parsimonious is it
> > with ink?

"Roy Gordon" <royg_XOUT@sonic_xout.com> wrote in message
> What is the quality of Dell printers, particularly the 720 and A920?
>
> What is the operating cost of consumables, i.e., how parsimonious is it
> with ink?
>
> I'm ordering an Inspiron for my son who's about to attend college. Dell
> offers a free 720 and a $35 upgrade to the all-in-one A920. Of course,
> they're not really free as there's an $11 shipping charge, despite the
> fact
> that the system itself has free shipping.
>
> Yet if the printer is of decent quality it's worth it, as his needs are
> not
> great. But if it's junk it will probably have to be replaced and so not
> worth getting in the first place.
>
> Typically I don't order a printer or scanner with a system but buy them
> separately, HP for printers, Espon for scanners. I have an HP LJ4 from
> 1993
> (!) that's still my main printer for b/w. (Low cost.)
>
> TIA.

Unless he needs the all-in-one features, have a look at the HP 5150 inkjet.
Less than $100 (though you have to buy the USB cable). B/W printing is
upwards of 16-19ppm, and black replacement carts run about $19....

If he has to have an all-in-one, I'd read around and compare even though I
generally prefer HP imaging stuff. ( I also have an ancient HP inkjet that
simply will not die.... )

Stew

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 20:44:48 GMT, in
<Xns953E8BDFCB078roygsonicnet@208.201.224.154>, Roy Gordon
<royg_XOUT@sonic_xout.com> wrote:

>What is the quality of Dell printers, particularly the 720 and A920?
>
>What is the operating cost of consumables, i.e., how parsimonious is it
>with ink?
>
>I'm ordering an Inspiron for my son who's about to attend college. Dell
>offers a free 720 and a $35 upgrade to the all-in-one A920. Of course,
>they're not really free as there's an $11 shipping charge, despite the fact
>that the system itself has free shipping.
>
>Yet if the printer is of decent quality it's worth it, as his needs are not
>great. But if it's junk it will probably have to be replaced and so not
>worth getting in the first place.
>
>Typically I don't order a printer or scanner with a system but buy them
>separately, HP for printers, Espon for scanners. I have an HP LJ4 from 1993
>(!) that's still my main printer for b/w. (Low cost.)

Dell printers are made by Lexmark and Lexmarks drink ink like a
hole in the ground. I'd do some Googling on printers and some
key words like "cost of ownership" and consider paying more for
the printer if it will give you a suitably lower consumables
cost. For anything more than occasional or casual B/W printing
the Lexmark will eat your wallet alive.

--
Jim Higgins, quasimodo AT yahoo DOT com
icbm: 33.55.34N, 80.24.21W

Jim

The printer and the digital camera in this sundays ads as free with certain
computer purchases are basic bottom level printer and camera. You can go to
Sams club and Bj's and get the same thing for less than $75. The one
printer in the ad today was listed as a $59 value. Are they really giving
you anything,,, I doubt it, if they want to give you something, let you take
the value off the cost of the computer.

Jim