Sign in with
Your question

Can't find Hard Drive!!

Last response: in CPUs
January 17, 2004 3:30:39 PM

I am building a PC. I am having trouble finding the Hard Drive. I am using the following:

Abit IS7
Segate 160GB SATA Hard Drive
Plextor PX-780A

When I first trurned the power on, the first screen prior to entering Setup showed this (only drive related info. There was more about CPU,etc):

IDE Channel 1 Master: Plextor PX-708A
IDE Channel 1 Slave : None
IDE Channel 2 Master: None
IDE Channel 2 Slave : None

IDE Channel 3 Master: None
IDE Channel 4 Master: None

Now, I didn't change jumpers on the Hard Drive or the DVD Drive. What am I doing wrong? Is the hard drive supposed to show up on the first screen or do I set it up in Setup?

I connected the hard drive to the onboard SATA connector on IS7. I did go into Onchip Serial ATA under Integrated Pheripherals in the Setup. Onchip Serial ATA is set to Auto.

Then the computer failed to boot up and asked for Bootup disk. I put in the WinXP Pro CD. The it said Setup did not find any hard disks on the computer.

I didn't pay much attention to Master, Slave, etc. I connected the DVD Drive to IDE1 on the mobo. I connected the hard disk to Serial ATA connector on the hard drive.

What am I doing wrong? Please help me. Thanks.

More about : find hard drive

January 17, 2004 4:35:31 PM

I'd read your MB manual. I'm guessing it's a bios thing. You may need to set first boot boot by scsi, boot order sata, onboard hardware serial ata enable mode base,

or somthing like dat. read the manual.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.
January 17, 2004 5:07:07 PM

Did you use the SATA driver disc during Windows installation?
Did you install the mobo drivers after Windows installation?
Related resources
January 17, 2004 5:14:14 PM

I haven't completed Windows Installation. I got the error message at the beginning of XP Pro Install.
January 17, 2004 6:06:20 PM

Most likely in the process of installing windows you'll need to hit f6 for the sata raid options. then it will ask you if you have a disk with the drivers.. you pop it in and pick the driver. after than say i'm done when it asks you and it should be all good.

Make sure it's enabled in your bios as well.

Abit nf7-s
barton2500+(stock)
mushkin lvl 2
radeon 9800pro
thermalright900a/w volcano7+ ontop moddified.
January 17, 2004 6:10:48 PM

You should not need to press f6 or install raid drivers unless your setting up 2 or more disks to be used in raid.

I think you just need to enable booting to sata in the bios.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.
January 17, 2004 8:25:16 PM

No, in the case where one uses SATA on a motherboard, they need to use the F6 option. It is not only for raid, but a driver for any controller that windows doesn't know about. For best luck, also slipstream SP1 into the installation.

The one and only "Monstrous BULLgarian!"
January 17, 2004 10:38:32 PM

I found it. Replaced the 4-pin power connector with a different one and moved the SATS cable to SATA2 from SATA1 on the mobo. Then I saw the hard drive. Just installed the Win XP Pro and it formatted the hard drive. I didn't use the disc sent in by Seagate. I am able to use the hard drive.

One problem is the floppy can't read my floppies! I see it in the bios, etc. but after I inserted the floppy, it asks me to insert one!! Any hints here?

Thanks.
January 17, 2004 10:50:16 PM

make sure the cable's not upside down/ twisted around.

The one and only "Monstrous BULLgarian!"
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2004 11:10:40 PM

Pin1 on the floppy drive is on the "other" side compared to IDE drives, the red stripe should be on the inside edge, not the outside edge. The flip in the cable goes just before the drive. Check your manual to find where Pin1 is located on the motherboard.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
January 18, 2004 12:09:02 AM

I will check the cable. Don't have a manual since I bought OEM.
January 18, 2004 12:44:12 AM

I swtiched the cable around and now the floppy can read but it says the disk is not formatted. I know it is formatted (100% certain) and has a few files. Whats up with that?
January 18, 2004 12:44:12 AM

I swtiched the cable around and now the floppy can read but it says the disk is not formatted. I know it is formatted (100% certain) and has a few files. Whats up with that?
January 19, 2004 3:48:44 AM

Re: No, in the case where one uses SATA on a motherboard, they need to use the F6 option.

That sounds goofy to me what if you had no floppy drive. this means you can't use SATA unless you got a floppy drive.

You would think since the bios can make windows boot from any number of devices it would be able to get it to recognise a sata drive without needing a floppy for aditional driver info.

January 19, 2004 6:37:29 PM

no, thats the way it is on most boards. some boards, i hear from crashman, treat the sata controler like an ide controler and windows will recognise it like any other hd controler.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015
January 19, 2004 11:28:10 PM

Personaly I don't see any excuse for that. It's not an add on controller its built into the M/B so the bios should have all the info, if built right. If a M/B manufacturer can get the info into the bios and have it work then they should do just that.

January 19, 2004 11:55:55 PM

since when do motherboard manufacturers do things that make any sense?

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2004 12:07:19 AM

I don't have any experience with SATA, but if your harddisk is not recognized by your BIOS, hitting F6 and feeding windows floppy drives is *not* going to help ! If your bios is not seeing the disk, you most likely didnt connect it properly. I'm guessing SATA also needs a master slave switch, in which case you want to set it as master. IF that doesnt help, try another SATA cable. In the early days of SATA, there where issues with the connector not giving a good contact; not sure if that is resolved by now, but my guess is it is something as trivial as that, not a driver issue. Is the disk spinning up ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
January 20, 2004 3:23:53 AM

Re: I don't have any experience with SATA, but if your harddisk is not recognized by your BIOS, hitting F6 and feeding windows floppy drives is *not* going to help !

It might and most likley does in many cases, I think I was a little hasty in my earlier post.

A stupid thing none the less.

!