Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Could SFC & Chkdsk find no problems & still be a HD failure?

Last response: in Windows 7
November 21, 2012 12:21:59 PM

Hi,

So I woke up to a screen that would not 'wake up' and had to pull the plug to re-boot. Got past the sign-on screen, only to find a blank screen with no desktop. Startup Repair, found no problems, SFC indicated it found no integrity issues & Chkdsk /r finished with a message indicating the 'volume is clean'. I ended up taking the PC to the repair shop where they have now told me that my 2 y.o. Seagate Terabyte hard drive failed. My question is: Is it possible for me to get the results reported above on a system where the HD has failed? (Guess I am just double-checking the Tech in the Repair shop here).

Thanks for any insight.

Jeff
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2012 12:31:28 PM

The simple answer: yes
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2012 12:39:57 PM

Any HDD can fail any time. They may or may not be right. Ask them why they are so sure. Almost every HDD failure I've had was a corruption of the boot sector meaning the drive was still usable as storage. In your situation in the past I have bought a new HDD and later migrated data from the old to the new as necessary. BTW, if it's only 2 years old isn't it still under warranty? Maybe you should be talking to Seagate.
November 21, 2012 2:27:47 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone.
m
l
November 21, 2012 2:28:03 PM

Best answer selected by jwsmith708.
m
l
!