Could SFC & Chkdsk find no problems & still be a HD failure?

jwsmith708

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Hi,

So I woke up to a screen that would not 'wake up' and had to pull the plug to re-boot. Got past the sign-on screen, only to find a blank screen with no desktop. Startup Repair, found no problems, SFC indicated it found no integrity issues & Chkdsk /r finished with a message indicating the 'volume is clean'. I ended up taking the PC to the repair shop where they have now told me that my 2 y.o. Seagate Terabyte hard drive failed. My question is: Is it possible for me to get the results reported above on a system where the HD has failed? (Guess I am just double-checking the Tech in the Repair shop here).

Thanks for any insight.

Jeff

Solution
Any HDD can fail any time. They may or may not be right. Ask them why they are so sure. Almost every HDD failure I've had was a corruption of the boot sector meaning the drive was still usable as storage. In your situation in the past I have bought a new HDD and later migrated data from the old to the new as necessary. BTW, if it's only 2 years old isn't it still under warranty? Maybe you should be talking to Seagate.

ram1009

Distinguished
Any HDD can fail any time. They may or may not be right. Ask them why they are so sure. Almost every HDD failure I've had was a corruption of the boot sector meaning the drive was still usable as storage. In your situation in the past I have bought a new HDD and later migrated data from the old to the new as necessary. BTW, if it's only 2 years old isn't it still under warranty? Maybe you should be talking to Seagate.

Solution