4600i Combo RW/DVD drive troubles

Last response: in Computer Brands
May 26, 2004 1:06:36 AM

Hi,

My dad recently bought a Dimension 4600i with a DVD/CDRW drive. This turned
out to be a HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B unit.

Whenever he tries to copy an audio CD, the unit makes an image on the hard
drive, then asks for an empty CD-R. So far, so good. But whatever brand of
CD-R we feed the unit (i.e. TDK, Platinum), it keeps spitting them all out
again, asking for a blank CD-R.

I also tried a very cheap 4x CD-RW and that works fine. We then tried Nero
Burning ROM instead of Sonic RecordNow, but this gave the same result. I've
looked it up on the net and this drive should be supported by our version of
Nero. At this point, I decided to call Dell tech support, who then recommend
that we get Easy CD Creator or else wait for a couple fo months for a new
firmware to become available. The latter is unacceptable to me, even more to
my dad since this system was quite an expense for him. It makes no sense at
all to buy a new system and then have to wait for months before you'd be
able to burn a CD-R decently.

Does anyone have an experience like this? I checked the Dell Forum and there
was one similar complaint about the same unit, otherwise nothing. A Google
search on the GCC-4481 unit did not provide additional information.

Any help appreciated,

Dennis
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 1:06:37 AM

Ask them to replace the drive or you will return the system - assuming you
are still in the 30 day customer satisfaction period.

"Dennis Demont" <drdemspm@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My dad recently bought a Dimension 4600i with a DVD/CDRW drive. This
turned
> out to be a HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B unit.
>
> Whenever he tries to copy an audio CD, the unit makes an image on the hard
> drive, then asks for an empty CD-R. So far, so good. But whatever brand of
> CD-R we feed the unit (i.e. TDK, Platinum), it keeps spitting them all out
> again, asking for a blank CD-R.
>
> I also tried a very cheap 4x CD-RW and that works fine. We then tried Nero
> Burning ROM instead of Sonic RecordNow, but this gave the same result.
I've
> looked it up on the net and this drive should be supported by our version
of
> Nero. At this point, I decided to call Dell tech support, who then
recommend
> that we get Easy CD Creator or else wait for a couple fo months for a new
> firmware to become available. The latter is unacceptable to me, even more
> my dad since this system was quite an expense for him. It makes no sense
at
> all to buy a new system and then have to wait for months before you'd be
> able to burn a CD-R decently.
>
> Does anyone have an experience like this? I checked the Dell Forum and
there
> was one similar complaint about the same unit, otherwise nothing. A Google
> search on the GCC-4481 unit did not provide additional information.
>
> Any help appreciated,
>
> Dennis

Anonymous
May 26, 2004 1:06:37 AM

If "recently" is within the 21 days, ask for a replacement drive or tell
them you want to return the entire system.

If it's outside 21 days from shipment, keep trying until you get someone
willing to replace the drive - it's clearly faulty.

"Dennis Demont" <drdemspm@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My dad recently bought a Dimension 4600i with a DVD/CDRW drive. This
turned
> out to be a HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B unit.
>
> Whenever he tries to copy an audio CD, the unit makes an image on the hard
> drive, then asks for an empty CD-R. So far, so good. But whatever brand of
> CD-R we feed the unit (i.e. TDK, Platinum), it keeps spitting them all out
> again, asking for a blank CD-R.
>
> I also tried a very cheap 4x CD-RW and that works fine. We then tried Nero
> Burning ROM instead of Sonic RecordNow, but this gave the same result.
I've
> looked it up on the net and this drive should be supported by our version
of
> Nero. At this point, I decided to call Dell tech support, who then
recommend
> that we get Easy CD Creator or else wait for a couple fo months for a new
> firmware to become available. The latter is unacceptable to me, even more
> my dad since this system was quite an expense for him. It makes no sense
at
> all to buy a new system and then have to wait for months before you'd be
> able to burn a CD-R decently.
>
> Does anyone have an experience like this? I checked the Dell Forum and
there
> was one similar complaint about the same unit, otherwise nothing. A Google
> search on the GCC-4481 unit did not provide additional information.
>
> Any help appreciated,
>
> Dennis

May 26, 2004 4:19:26 AM

"WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
news:D 1Osc.72833$Cr3.16461@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com...
> Ask them to replace the drive or you will return the system - assuming you
> are still in the 30 day customer satisfaction period.

I believe my dad's still in the 30 day customer satisfaction period.
If he is, I will try that, thanks.

Dennis
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 4:19:27 AM

The 30-day guarantee was shortened to 21 days a while back - so if you're
near the end of that, call them immediately.

!