WIll reinstalling XP remove unnecesary registry entries?

If I decide to reinstall XP, will this clean up the registry?

Thanks.
10 answers Last reply
More about will reinstalling remove unnecesary registry entries

    VMI wrote:
    > If I decide to reinstall XP, will this clean up the registry?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Only if you do a clean install and not a repair.
    Why do you feel it is nessesary to clean up the registry? Are you having
    some problem?
    XP does not use the registry like older operating systems do,cleaning up the
    registry in XP really is not needed.

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    VMI wrote:

    > If I decide to reinstall XP, will this clean up the registry?

    If you want to clean the registry, clean the registry.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    "VMI" <vonchi_m@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > If I decide to reinstall XP, will this clean up the registry?

    If you do a clean reinstallation, yes; it will rebuild the
    registry from scratch.

    But why do you think you need to "clean up the registry"? It's
    normally not at all necessary.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    From: "VMI" <vonchi_m@yahoo.com>

    | If I decide to reinstall XP, will this clean up the registry?
    |
    | Thanks.

    Only if the PC is completely wiped and the OS is installed from scratch.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Thanks for the help. Greatly appreciated.

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > VMI wrote:
    >>
    >> If I decide to reinstall XP, will this clean up the registry?
    >
    > If you want to clean the registry, clean the registry.
    >

    > --
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Like when a virus happens???

    In news:eUv2A1LtFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Brian <no@no.com> typed:

    > Like when a virus happens???

    The way to get rid of a virus is with an anti-virus program.
    Reinstalling Windows is almost always way overkill if you have a
    virus. And trying to get rid of a virus by "cleaning the
    registry" may not remove the virus at all, and is far more likely
    to cause a problem than to solve one.'

    From: "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain>

    | In news:eUv2A1LtFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    | Brian <no@no.com> typed:
    |
    >> Like when a virus happens???
    |
    | The way to get rid of a virus is with an anti-virus program.
    | Reinstalling Windows is almost always way overkill if you have a
    | virus. And trying to get rid of a virus by "cleaning the
    | registry" may not remove the virus at all, and is far more likely
    | to cause a problem than to solve one.'
    |
    | --
    | Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    | Please reply to the newsgroup

    Exactly and not to mention that if the virus is a Boot Sector infector then even a
    re-format won't remove that kind of virus.

    If an infector modifies the OS (such as the Registry) then one needs to use a good AV
    application that will repair those changes as well as remove the infection. That is one
    reason why just deleting an infector is often not enough.

    Any questions on the proper ways to remove viruses and other malware should go to the News
    Groups that specialize in this kind of support...

    microsoft.public.security.virus
    alt.comp.virus
    alt.comp.anti-virus
    alt.privacy.spyware

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    > "VMI" <vonchi_m@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > If I decide to reinstall XP, will this clean up the registry?
    >

    > If you do a clean reinstallation, yes; it will rebuild the
    > registry from scratch.
    >
    > But why do you think you need to "clean up the registry"? It's
    > normally not at all necessary.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

    Since the 98 OS, I've done a clean install every year with each MS OS I've
    had installed on my past PCs. Have had everyone except Win2k. Spend most
    of the time writing zeroes to the hard drive with the hard drive
    manufacturers utility during each process. This is standard annual
    maintenance for me.
    The past two years, I've been restoring clean installs from image file (if
    its the same PC) instead of sitting through the whole install process again.
    All the MS OSes run better than the one year old install version as far as
    user interpreted speed by my own experiences. This includes adding the
    applications that were running as well.
    Is it needed? Probably not. But, I sure like it.
    Some change their oil every 10,000 miles if at all. Some every 3,000 miles.
    Some even less. The engine sure likes clean oil so not clunk up the
    internal works.

    In news:eI73MkTtFHA.3252@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Lil' Dave <spamyourself@virus.net> typed:

    >> "VMI" <vonchi_m@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> If I decide to reinstall XP, will this clean up the registry?
    >>

    >> If you do a clean reinstallation, yes; it will rebuild the
    >> registry from scratch.
    >>
    >> But why do you think you need to "clean up the registry"? It's
    >> normally not at all necessary.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup
    >>

    > Since the 98 OS, I've done a clean install every year with each
    > MS OS
    > I've had installed on my past PCs. Have had everyone except
    > Win2k.
    > Spend most of the time writing zeroes to the hard drive with
    > the hard
    > drive manufacturers utility during each process. This is
    > standard
    > annual maintenance for me.

    Your choice, of course. In my view, it's completely unnecessary
    and a big waste of time and effort. If you maintain your system
    even reasonably well, it should never be necessary to do this.

    I've run Windows 3.0, 3.1, WFWG 3.11, 95, 98, 2000 and XP on
    multiple machines here, almost every one from the day it was
    first released until it was replaced by the next version. I've
    never reinstalled any of them, and I've never had any performance
    problems with any of them.

    > All the MS OSes run better than the one year old install
    > version as far as
    > user interpreted speed by my own experiences.

    If that's your experience, I can't argue with it. It's not at all
    my experience, nor is it that of the many other people I know who
    run Windows.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

Windows XP Microsoft Registry