ASP.NET

September 8, 2005 5:41:01 PM

Hello , I downloaded an H/P printer Driver today ,Wireless . This download
added the ASP.NET to the "Users Account" . This new account changed the way
this PC opens as now I need to click on my personal account name to bring up
the "Welcome sceen" . As before the download , simply pressing the "Start
button" would bring the PC to the desktop . Is ASP.NET account neccessary ?
XP Home . SP2 , A/V , Spyware protection , Wireless . Thank You .
--
KD

More about : asp net

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 8, 2005 5:52:01 PM

Hi, Installer,

I had the same thing happen after installing Microsoft's "Dot-Net"
utility that I needed for a third-party application. I wonderd about this
same thing for a while, then just went in under the Control Panel to User
Accounts and deleted the ASP username. Now my own screen name and sign-in
box comes up when I boot, and nothing seems to have suffered at all, even in
the third-party software.
It's as though Microsoft wants to be a 'user-in-absencia' on our
computers. Well, if Mr. Gates shows up at the front door he is welcome
either to use the Guest account or I'll create a special account for him!
September 8, 2005 8:11:08 PM

Hello , I have entered "regedit" and successfuly completed Anandos reply .
However when the PC restarted a window poped up reguarding "password was
incorrect . I clicked "OK" and the PC opened up to Normal . Perhaps a
password should be entered into the Admin account first , then proceed into
"regedit" ? I remember deleting the ASP.NET account when experiencing this
Logon problem in the past . I was never confident if ASP.NET is neccessary .
And if an account is added and activated someday , then entering a new key in
"regedit" for AutoLogin will be needed . After deleting ASP.NET , the logon
is back to Automatic . Thank You Anando , I will add your reply to notebook
"PC info" folder and experiment with that . Thank You Jim Wood .
--
KD

"Installer" wrote:

> Hello , I downloaded an H/P printer Driver today ,Wireless . This download
> added the ASP.NET to the "Users Account" . This new account changed the way
> this PC opens as now I need to click on my personal account name to bring up
> the "Welcome sceen" . As before the download , simply pressing the "Start
> button" would bring the PC to the desktop . Is ASP.NET account neccessary ?
> XP Home . SP2 , A/V , Spyware protection , Wireless . Thank You .
> --
> KD
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 8, 2005 9:48:43 PM

Hello,

How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Installer" <lost_in_70s_tunes> wrote in message
> Hello , I downloaded an H/P printer Driver today ,Wireless . This download
> added the ASP.NET to the "Users Account" . This new account changed the way
> this PC opens as now I need to click on my personal account name to bring up
> the "Welcome sceen" . As before the download , simply pressing the "Start
> button" would bring the PC to the desktop . Is ASP.NET account neccessary ?
> XP Home . SP2 , A/V , Spyware protection , Wireless . Thank You .
> --
> KD
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 8, 2005 9:48:44 PM

Is this the same problem?
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=827072
"The Welcome to Windows screen appears when you start
Windows XP after you install the .NET Framework 1.1"

"SYMPTOMS:
When you install the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 on a
computer that is running Windows XP, and then you start Windows,
the Welcome screen appears. This screen prompts you to click
your user name to start Windows."

"CAUSE:
When you install the .NET Framework 1.1, a hidden local user account that is named ASPNET is created. When you start Windows,
Windows treats the ASPNET local user account as an additional user account, although the ASPNET user account is hidden. Therefore,
the Welcome screen appears and prompts you to click your user name."

SOLUTION:
http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/welskip.php
i.e. -
run: control userpasswords2

*TimDaniels*

"Anando [MS-MVP]" replied:
> How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231
>
> "Installer" wrote:
>> Hello , I downloaded an H/P printer Driver today ,Wireless .
>> This download added the ASP.NET to the "Users Account" .
>> This new account changed the way this PC opens as now I
>> need to click on my personal account name to bring up the
>> "Welcome sceen" . As before the download , simply pressing
>> the "Start button" would bring the PC to the desktop . Is
>> ASP.NET account neccessary ?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 9, 2005 10:03:13 PM

Yup, the "control userpasswords2" way will fix it for you too.

--

!