Dimension 2350 - No Video Display

Hi All

I have a Dell Dimension 2350 running XP. It is approx 18 months old.
On power up the PC appears to start correctly,the HDD light flickers
etc and the light on the LCD monitor turns green, as though there is
a video signal, but there is no display.

The error leds at the rear of the PC are all green, and there are no
unusual beeps on start up.

I have tried a different monitor with the same result. And I have
confirmed the LCD monitor is ok on another computer.

The PC has a integrated graphics connection, so I cannot try to reseat
the video card etc. I wondered about trying another video card in a
spare PCI slot. With no display I cannot check/modify the startup
settings, if I had to disable the integrated graphics chip.

Has anybody got any ideas??

Cheers, Alan
11 answers Last reply
More about dimension 2350 video display

    Cheers..

    No signal even while the system is in POST? Or no video after Windows XP has
    started? Trying another video card in a PCI slot is not a bad idea also
    check and be sure that the memory is fully seated and reseat the processor.
    It may well be a problem with the onboard video but I suspect it is more a
    problem with a resolution setting. The key is whether the system displays
    anything during the POST.

    Regards,
    John O.

    amcd2000@hotmail.com (Alan) wrote in message news:<59e95722.0405251318.37d3a43f@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi All
    >
    > I have a Dell Dimension 2350 running XP. It is approx 18 months old.
    > On power up the PC appears to start correctly,the HDD light flickers
    > etc and the light on the LCD monitor turns green, as though there is
    > a video signal, but there is no display.
    >
    > The error leds at the rear of the PC are all green, and there are no
    > unusual beeps on start up.
    >
    > I have tried a different monitor with the same result. And I have
    > confirmed the LCD monitor is ok on another computer.
    >
    > The PC has a integrated graphics connection, so I cannot try to reseat
    > the video card etc. I wondered about trying another video card in a
    > spare PCI slot. With no display I cannot check/modify the startup
    > settings, if I had to disable the integrated graphics chip.
    >
    > Has anybody got any ideas??
    >
    > Cheers, Alan

    Trying a pci video card is a good idea. You cant
    disable the onboard video (just onboard lan and sound).
    Computer will boot into xp no problem with it enabled
    though (or should). I take it the computer is not under warranty.
    Good luck...Dave

    Hi Chaps,

    Thank you for your advice and comments.

    1. The PC is out of warranty )-:

    2. I tried reseating the memory and processor - no change

    3. I tried a PCI video card - Didn't work! The monitor never picked up
    the signal and the monitor indication led stayed yellow. It is quite
    painful when you can't actually "see" what is going on!!

    4. To clarify things a little … When I first power up the PC the
    following happens,

    a) After a couple of seconds, the monitor drops the "no signal" and
    the indication led turns from yellow to green. Simultaneously the POST
    sequence can be observed on the 4 error leds on the rear of the PC,
    until they are all green. There is no beep during the POST? There is
    No display during the POST.

    b) The PC begins to Boot from the HDD, there is no video display
    during boot up. I have also Booted from a floppy in drive A: and there
    was no display.

    In short the monitor appears to get a signal from the time you turn
    the PC on, but there is no display (or errors) during POST or Boot up
    etc.

    Again I really appreciate you help and comments ..

    Cheers, Alan

    "JJ" <jj@nospam.ca> wrote in message news:<ccQsc.31540$tb4.1083649@news20.bellglobal.com>...
    > Cheers..
    >
    > No signal even while the system is in POST? Or no video after Windows XP has
    > started? Trying another video card in a PCI slot is not a bad idea also
    > check and be sure that the memory is fully seated and reseat the processor.
    > It may well be a problem with the onboard video but I suspect it is more a
    > problem with a resolution setting. The key is whether the system displays
    > anything during the POST.
    >
    > Regards,
    > John O.
    >

    > "Alan" <amcd2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi All
    > >
    > > I have a Dell Dimension 2350 running XP. It is approx 18 months old.
    > > On power up the PC appears to start correctly,the HDD light flickers
    > > etc and the light on the LCD monitor turns green, as though there is
    > > a video signal, but there is no display.
    > >
    > > The error leds at the rear of the PC are all green, and there are no
    > > unusual beeps on start up.
    > >
    > > I have tried a different monitor with the same result. And I have
    > > confirmed the LCD monitor is ok on another computer.
    > >
    > > The PC has a integrated graphics connection, so I cannot try to reseat
    > > the video card etc. I wondered about trying another video card in a
    > > spare PCI slot. With no display I cannot check/modify the startup
    > > settings, if I had to disable the integrated graphics chip.
    > >
    > > Has anybody got any ideas??
    > >
    > > Cheers, Alan

    Tried adjusting the monitor settings? (brightness, etc.)

    > Hi Chaps,
    >
    > Thank you for your advice and comments.
    >
    > 1. The PC is out of warranty )-:
    >
    > 2. I tried reseating the memory and processor - no change
    >
    > 3. I tried a PCI video card - Didn't work! The monitor never picked up
    > the signal and the monitor indication led stayed yellow. It is quite
    > painful when you can't actually "see" what is going on!!
    >
    > 4. To clarify things a little . When I first power up the PC the
    > following happens,
    >
    > a) After a couple of seconds, the monitor drops the "no signal" and
    > the indication led turns from yellow to green. Simultaneously the POST
    > sequence can be observed on the 4 error leds on the rear of the PC,
    > until they are all green. There is no beep during the POST? There is
    > No display during the POST.
    >
    > b) The PC begins to Boot from the HDD, there is no video display
    > during boot up. I have also Booted from a floppy in drive A: and there
    > was no display.
    >
    > In short the monitor appears to get a signal from the time you turn
    > the PC on, but there is no display (or errors) during POST or Boot up
    > etc.
    >
    > Again I really appreciate you help and comments ..
    >
    > Cheers, Alan
    >

    > "JJ" <jj@nospam.ca> wrote in message
    > > Cheers..
    > >
    > > No signal even while the system is in POST? Or no video after Windows XP
    has
    > > started? Trying another video card in a PCI slot is not a bad idea also
    > > check and be sure that the memory is fully seated and reseat the
    processor.
    > > It may well be a problem with the onboard video but I suspect it is more
    > > problem with a resolution setting. The key is whether the system
    displays
    > > anything during the POST.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > John O.
    > >

    > > "Alan" <amcd2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi All
    > > >
    > > > I have a Dell Dimension 2350 running XP. It is approx 18 months old.
    > > > On power up the PC appears to start correctly,the HDD light flickers
    > > > etc and the light on the LCD monitor turns green, as though there is
    > > > a video signal, but there is no display.
    > > >
    > > > The error leds at the rear of the PC are all green, and there are no
    > > > unusual beeps on start up.
    > > >
    > > > I have tried a different monitor with the same result. And I have
    > > > confirmed the LCD monitor is ok on another computer.
    > > >
    > > > The PC has a integrated graphics connection, so I cannot try to reseat
    > > > the video card etc. I wondered about trying another video card in a
    > > > spare PCI slot. With no display I cannot check/modify the startup
    > > > settings, if I had to disable the integrated graphics chip.
    > > >
    > > > Has anybody got any ideas??
    > > >
    > > > Cheers, Alan

    Hmmm...gut feeling here is that two things are going on here. The PCI video
    card probably does not put out a signal because the BIOS would have to be
    changed to disable the onboard video. The second thing that might be going
    on is not very encouraging. It is possible that the monitor LED is green
    because it is getting a signal BUT the signal could be no video at all. IOW
    it may be that the onboard video is gone but the black screen is exactly
    what is being sent to the monitor. So it is not an absence of signal but a
    no display signal being sent, kind of like when the system is in standby.
    This might be a reach and we shall see what everyone thinks but have you
    tried clearing the BIOS. Not that it has anything to do with it but a
    corrupt BIOS may be causing some problems...I said it was a reach.

    Regards,
    JohnO.

    PS
    Of course it may be quite possible that the MB has breathed it's last.

    "David" <davids165@juno.com> wrote in message
    > amcd2000@hotmail.com (Alan) wrote in message
    >> Hi All
    >>
    >> I have a Dell Dimension 2350 running XP. It is approx 18 months old.
    >> On power up the PC appears to start correctly,the HDD light flickers
    >> etc and the light on the LCD monitor turns green, as though there is
    >> a video signal, but there is no display.
    >>
    >> The error leds at the rear of the PC are all green, and there are no
    >> unusual beeps on start up.
    >>
    >> I have tried a different monitor with the same result. And I have
    >> confirmed the LCD monitor is ok on another computer.

    <snip>

    Either the onboard display adapter has gone bad, or perhaps a DIMM.

    There is NO provision in the BIOS to disable the on board
    video. It should just detect the PCI video card and turn itself off.
    Docs are here, if you need them.
    http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim2350/docs.htm#1103598

> [...]
    > >
    > > In short the monitor appears to get a signal from the time you turn
    > > the PC on, but there is no display (or errors) during POST or Boot
    up
    > > etc.
    > >
    > > Again I really appreciate you help and comments ..
    > >
    > > Cheers, Alan
    > >

    > > "JJ" <jj@nospam.ca> wrote in message
    > > > Cheers..
    > > >
    > > > No signal even while the system is in POST? Or no video after
    Windows XP
    > has
    > > > started? Trying another video card in a PCI slot is not a bad idea
    also
    > > > check and be sure that the memory is fully seated and reseat the
    > processor.
    > > > It may well be a problem with the onboard video but I suspect it
    is more
    > > > problem with a resolution setting. The key is whether the system

    I stand corrected. I was thinking 2400 here even though it was clearly
    stated as a 2350.

    Regards,
    John O.

    "Pen" <pen34us_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > > following happens,
    > > >
    > > > a) After a couple of seconds, the monitor drops the "no signal" and
    > > > the indication led turns from yellow to green. Simultaneously the
    > POST
    > > > sequence can be observed on the 4 error leds on the rear of the PC,
    > > > until they are all green. There is no beep during the POST? There is
    > > > No display during the POST.
    > > >
    > > > b) The PC begins to Boot from the HDD, there is no video display
    > > > during boot up. I have also Booted from a floppy in drive A: and
    > there
    > > > was no display.
    > > >
    > > > In short the monitor appears to get a signal from the time you turn
    > > > the PC on, but there is no display (or errors) during POST or Boot
    > up
    > > > etc.
    > > >
    > > > Again I really appreciate you help and comments ..

    I think your right about the BIOS issue. I "think" my BIOS is Rev.
    A00, and I "think" I have read where a newer revision allows you to
    select the PCI Video card over the onboard video.

    I also think you are on the right track about the signal but no video
    comments … I have sent off a query to Dell Support and will await
    their response before resetting the BIOS.

    I guess the next step is take the PC to an authorized Dell Service
    Center … I'm near Cleveland / Akron in Ohio and can't seem to find
    such a Computer service center in the area??

    Can one purchase (complete with processor and RAM etc) new or
    refurbished motherboards for the Dell Dimension 2350?? And I wonder
    what the cost would be??

    Many thanks to all for their comments.

    Cheers, Alan

    "JJ" <jj@nospam.ca> wrote in message news:<YPatc.45507$tb4.1498423@news20.bellglobal.com>...
    > Hmmm...gut feeling here is that two things are going on here. The PCI video
    > card probably does not put out a signal because the BIOS would have to be
    > changed to disable the onboard video. The second thing that might be going
    > on is not very encouraging. It is possible that the monitor LED is green
    > because it is getting a signal BUT the signal could be no video at all. IOW
    > it may be that the onboard video is gone but the black screen is exactly
    > what is being sent to the monitor. So it is not an absence of signal but a
    > no display signal being sent, kind of like when the system is in standby.
    > This might be a reach and we shall see what everyone thinks but have you
    > tried clearing the BIOS. Not that it has anything to do with it but a
    > corrupt BIOS may be causing some problems...I said it was a reach.
    >
    > Regards,
    > JohnO.
    >
    > PS
    > Of course it may be quite possible that the MB has breathed it's last.
    >
    > "Alan" <amcd2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Chaps,
    > >
    > > Thank you for your advice and comments.

    By doing a search on Ebay I found a few complete 2350 systems that were
    bidding at about $150 US. For that kind of money you could pick up the whole
    system and use what you need.

    Of course you could always pick up a 2400 pretty cheaply as well.

    Alan wrote:

    > Hi All
    >
    > I have a Dell Dimension 2350 running XP. It is approx 18 months old.
    > On power up the PC appears to start correctly,the HDD light flickers
    > etc and the light on the LCD monitor turns green, as though there is
    > a video signal, but there is no display.
    >
    > The error leds at the rear of the PC are all green, and there are no
    > unusual beeps on start up.
    >
    > I have tried a different monitor with the same result. And I have
    > confirmed the LCD monitor is ok on another computer.
    >
    > The PC has a integrated graphics connection, so I cannot try to reseat
    > the video card etc. I wondered about trying another video card in a
    > spare PCI slot. With no display I cannot check/modify the startup
    > settings, if I had to disable the integrated graphics chip.
    >
    > Has anybody got any ideas??
    >
    > Cheers, Alan

    I don't have any ideas. I've also got a 2350, and my warranty runs out
    in about a month. I noticed the HD showed some bad sectors last time
    I ran Norton. Maybe I should do a 24 hr burn-in test to see if there are
    other problems before the warranty runs out! I love my 2350(2.2Ghz
    Celeron)! :)

Dell Dimension Computers Displays