Windows XP says I have a "Dirty" disk!

Windows XP Home, during boot-up, just before the smarmy "Welcome"
message, flashes ever so briefly about 4 lines of error message, one
of which accuses me (an impeccable neatnik) of having a "dirty" disk.

My computer is a Dimension XPS Gen 2, with 3 drives:
C: Seagate SATA (120 gb ntfs)
D: Maxtor IDE (120 gb ntfs)
G: IBM IDE (60 gb fat32)

It's G: that's referred to by the message.
That drive has been installed since shortly after I bought the XPS,
but only recently has the error message come up. And since XPS can
actually run for as long as a week without the daily rebooting
required by 98SE, I've only seen it a few times--but it's done it
every reboot since the first time.

Is there some way to stop the boot-up long enough to read the message
(the Pause key doesn't do it)?

I thought I'd run my old favorite hate, Scandisk, but it doesn't seem
to be available in XP. Have I just misplaced it?

Any suggestions for some sort of program to "hoover" my dirty disk?

And is there any way to remove that ridiculous "Welcome?" (Jeez,
Louise, welcome to my *own* computer?!) If not removing it, changing
it would be nice. How about: "Hi there, Mr. Wells--my you're lookin'
good today! Stand by while I load all my bloatware and try to getcha
goin' here."

--John W. Wells

Right click on the drive in My Computer. Choose properties. Choose tools.

You'll see the options to check the disk.

Tom
"John W. Wells" <djinn@7Tsimmery.axe> wrote in message
> Windows XP Home, during boot-up, just before the smarmy "Welcome"
> message, flashes ever so briefly about 4 lines of error message, one
> of which accuses me (an impeccable neatnik) of having a "dirty" disk.
>
> My computer is a Dimension XPS Gen 2, with 3 drives:
> C: Seagate SATA (120 gb ntfs)
> D: Maxtor IDE (120 gb ntfs)
> G: IBM IDE (60 gb fat32)
>
> It's G: that's referred to by the message.
> That drive has been installed since shortly after I bought the XPS,
> but only recently has the error message come up. And since XPS can
> actually run for as long as a week without the daily rebooting
> required by 98SE, I've only seen it a few times--but it's done it
> every reboot since the first time.
>
> Is there some way to stop the boot-up long enough to read the message
> (the Pause key doesn't do it)?
>
> I thought I'd run my old favorite hate, Scandisk, but it doesn't seem
> to be available in XP. Have I just misplaced it?
>
> Any suggestions for some sort of program to "hoover" my dirty disk?
>
> And is there any way to remove that ridiculous "Welcome?" (Jeez,
> Louise, welcome to my *own* computer?!) If not removing it, changing
> it would be nice. How about: "Hi there, Mr. Wells--my you're lookin'
> good today! Stand by while I load all my bloatware and try to getcha
> goin' here."
>
> --John W. Wells

Follow Tom's advice, tick both boxes and if that doesn't remove the dirty
flag you will need to redo the partition(s) on that drive.
TweakUI allows you to bypass the Welcome screen.

Brian

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:39:17 -0400, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>Right click on the drive in My Computer. Choose properties. Choose tools.
>
>You'll see the options to check the disk.

Thanks, Tom. I tried it once--got a "can't complete" message with no
explanation after about an hour. It terminated in "phase 2." I'll
have to pursue it later. But the "dirty" drive message seems to have
disappeared on reboot!

--JWWells

>Tom
>"John W. Wells" <djinn@7Tsimmery.axe> wrote in message
>> Windows XP Home, during boot-up, just before the smarmy "Welcome"
>> message, flashes ever so briefly about 4 lines of error message, one
>> of which accuses me (an impeccable neatnik) of having a "dirty" disk.
>>
>> My computer is a Dimension XPS Gen 2, with 3 drives:
>> C: Seagate SATA (120 gb ntfs)
>> D: Maxtor IDE (120 gb ntfs)
>> G: IBM IDE (60 gb fat32)
>>
>> It's G: that's referred to by the message.
>> That drive has been installed since shortly after I bought the XPS,
>> but only recently has the error message come up. And since XPS can
>> actually run for as long as a week without the daily rebooting
>> required by 98SE, I've only seen it a few times--but it's done it
>> every reboot since the first time.
>>
>> Is there some way to stop the boot-up long enough to read the message
>> (the Pause key doesn't do it)?
>>
>> I thought I'd run my old favorite hate, Scandisk, but it doesn't seem
>> to be available in XP. Have I just misplaced it?
>>
>> Any suggestions for some sort of program to "hoover" my dirty disk?
>>
>> And is there any way to remove that ridiculous "Welcome?" (Jeez,
>> Louise, welcome to my *own* computer?!) If not removing it, changing
>> it would be nice. How about: "Hi there, Mr. Wells--my you're lookin'
>> good today! Stand by while I load all my bloatware and try to getcha
>> goin' here."
>>
>> --John W. Wells

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:25:11 GMT, "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_
remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Follow Tom's advice, tick both boxes and if that doesn't remove the dirty
>flag you will need to redo the partition(s) on that drive.

I think I may just unload that drive (it's data only) and reformat it
as NTFS like the other two.

>TweakUI allows you to bypass the Welcome screen.

Hey! Yessss! Somehow I misinterpreted that feature of TweakUI in the
past. Thank you!

--JWWells