Opening "New" function Freezing computer!

Hello all,
Somehow today my Xp Pro is freezing solid (with the "Wait" cursor running
endlessly) when ever I try to create a new folder or shortcut on either the
desktop or in Windows Explorer.
I have to re-boot (naturally) and the function will perform *once* and then
freeze things up solid again on a later attempt.
Please advise the solution !! <VBG>
Many thanks in advance..... Mark

Hey Folks,
Well it's sad that no one answered my query at all, but for those who may
run into the problem in the future I offer the solution which I found on my
computer.
TweakUI was holding on to a program which had been uninstalled from my
computer a few years ago in the "New" area (tab) which locked up not only
the New function, but also TweakUI itself.
after Uninstalling TweakUI, restarting and d/l'ing a fresh copy and
reinstalling TweakUI I was able to open the New tab and remove the offending
reference to the long-gone app.
Now the New function is working like greased lightning!