Slow ShutDown...

September 9, 2005 12:56:54 AM

I Found The Solution To My Computers Slow 7 Minute ShutDown ... Now ShutDown
is accomplished in 22 Seconds...

I've been watching this newsgroup for months in efforts to identify a
solution to my computers Slow ShutDown ... The solution I found may help
others...

After reading about "How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP" ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353 ...

After Trial and ERROR ... I've discovered if someone has a computer with an
Extremely Slow ShutDown as mine was, they might try these procedures...

In Startup folder of Systems Configuration Utility ... {Start > Run >
msconfig} ... Select: "Disable All" > Apply > OK ... Reboot computer for
selections to take effect ... IMPORTANT STEP FOLLOWS >>> ReStart computer
AGAIN to see if computer ShutsDown within a normal period of time ... IF
NOT - go back to Startup folder of System Configuration Utility, and Select
"Enable ALL" and continue reading the link data I provided above ... IF
computer ShutsDown within a normal period of time, go back to Startup folder
of System Configuration Utility and enable (Check) one or a few items at a
time, til you discover which entry is causing your computer to ShutDown
Slowly ... Just REMEMBER to Reboot and also ReStart each time.

The exact item that was causing my computers 7 Minute ShutDown was
"pcsync2" - associated with Nokia Telephone PC Suite...

I hope this information helps someone ... it's a RELIEF to see my computer
ShutDown in 22 Seconds, after waiting for it to ShutDown in 7 Minutes for
months...

Enjoy!
SeaJay

More about : slow shutdown

Anonymous
September 9, 2005 10:36:31 AM

Check it here:-
'SHUTDOWN WORKS, BUT IT’S REAL SLOW'
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

SeaJay <CFortune wrote:

> I Found The Solution To My Computers Slow 7 Minute ShutDown ... Now ShutDown
> is accomplished in 22 Seconds...
>
> I've been watching this newsgroup for months in efforts to identify a
> solution to my computers Slow ShutDown ... The solution I found may help
> others...
>
> After reading about "How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP" ...
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353 ...
>
> After Trial and ERROR ... I've discovered if someone has a computer with an
> Extremely Slow ShutDown as mine was, they might try these procedures...
>
> In Startup folder of Systems Configuration Utility ... {Start > Run >
> msconfig} ... Select: "Disable All" > Apply > OK ... Reboot computer for
> selections to take effect ... IMPORTANT STEP FOLLOWS >>> ReStart computer
> AGAIN to see if computer ShutsDown within a normal period of time ... IF
> NOT - go back to Startup folder of System Configuration Utility, and Select
> "Enable ALL" and continue reading the link data I provided above ... IF
> computer ShutsDown within a normal period of time, go back to Startup folder
> of System Configuration Utility and enable (Check) one or a few items at a
> time, til you discover which entry is causing your computer to ShutDown
> Slowly ... Just REMEMBER to Reboot and also ReStart each time.
>
> The exact item that was causing my computers 7 Minute ShutDown was
> "pcsync2" - associated with Nokia Telephone PC Suite...
>
> I hope this information helps someone ... it's a RELIEF to see my computer
> ShutDown in 22 Seconds, after waiting for it to ShutDown in 7 Minutes for
> months...
>
> Enjoy!
> SeaJay

Anonymous
September 9, 2005 12:04:23 PM

More information:

Visit http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
See section "SHUTDOWN WORKS, BUT IT'S REAL SLOW"

Shutdown is very slow - Windows XP:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowshutdown.htm

How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User