XP doesn't regonize IDE controller attached HDD

Thats about it. I have a 30GB no-name IDE HDD attached by way of an adaptec
IDE controller card. HDD is set to master, in the right port for only one
drive, using the master end of the cable, has power, and card is recognized
by bios and windows.

I never see the HDD on the bios, even when it is recognized.

Any help will be appreciated.

Much love!

F.Y.I.
2.4 P4
1.5GB ram
7 answers Last reply
More about doesn regonize controller attached

    If you have a drive attached to an add-in card, such as an Adaptec ATA-100
    IDE card, you will NOT see the drive in the computer bios. This is normal.
    Only drives attached to the native M/B IDE ports are seen in the bios.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Zeretul1" <Zeretul1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thats about it. I have a 30GB no-name IDE HDD attached by way of an
    > adaptec
    > IDE controller card. HDD is set to master, in the right port for only one
    > drive, using the master end of the cable, has power, and card is
    > recognized
    > by bios and windows.
    >
    > I never see the HDD on the bios, even when it is recognized.
    >
    > Any help will be appreciated.
    >
    > Much love!
    >
    > F.Y.I.
    > 2.4 P4
    > 1.5GB ram

    Did you install the Adaptec Drivers for the IDE Controller Card? If
    yes, try another PCI slot. If no, do a google
    search for the drivers.
    "Zeretul1" <Zeretul1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thats about it. I have a 30GB no-name IDE HDD attached by way of an
    > adaptec
    > IDE controller card. HDD is set to master, in the right port for only one
    > drive, using the master end of the cable, has power, and card is
    > recognized
    > by bios and windows.
    >
    > I never see the HDD on the bios, even when it is recognized.
    >
    > Any help will be appreciated.
    >
    > Much love!
    >
    > F.Y.I.
    > 2.4 P4
    > 1.5GB ram

    If i restart the box, i can see the HDD, but after a day or two, it
    disappears. This also occurs with my front pin connected usb/card media hub.
    After a few days, i have to reboot to see these drives.

    =?Utf-8?B?WmVyZXR1bDE=?= wrote:

    > Thats about it. I have a 30GB no-name IDE HDD attached by way of an adaptec
    > IDE controller card. HDD is set to master, in the right port for only one
    > drive, using the master end of the cable, has power, and card is recognized
    > by bios and windows.
    >
    > I never see the HDD on the bios, even when it is recognized.

    You wont see the HDD in the bios on the motherboard as you have it
    connected to a separate controller card that has its own bios to see the
    HDD.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Only an ide card with its own bios would show a HD attached. This shows
    after the PC's bios is finished, but has not sequenced to look for boot
    devices. At least its been that way with Promise brand ide controller I've
    owned. And, XP is consistently seeing the hard drive attached. XP loads
    its own driver for the Promise card.

    The no-name hard drive may be the source of the problem. An 80 wire ide
    cable is typical replacement with a new or used hard drive. A weak power
    supply may give on again/off again symptoms for some of your hardware. The
    firmware needs a relook by the PC, if the voltage drops too low. Can only
    be done at cold boot, or reboot.

    Can't help you on missing after a few days lit off. Always turn my PC off
    at night.

    See below inserted in your post.

    "Zeretul1" <Zeretul1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thats about it. I have a 30GB no-name IDE HDD attached by way of an
    adaptec
    > IDE controller card. HDD is set to master, in the right port for only one
    > drive, using the master end of the cable, has power, and card is
    recognized
    > by bios and windows.

    Here you say the bios sees the hard drive in question.

    > I never see the HDD on the bios, even when it is recognized.

    Then, you say something opposite?????????

    > Any help will be appreciated.
    >
    > Much love!
    >
    > F.Y.I.
    > 2.4 P4
    > 1.5GB ram

    Well, if we are going to start this, I would ask that you actually read
    the post. I said "HDD is set to master, in the right port for only one
    drive, using the master end of the cable, has power, and **CARD** is
    recognized by bios and windows."

    I also said the "HELP" is appreciated, not nitpicking.

    Lil' Dave wrote:
    > Only an ide card with its own bios would show a HD attached. This shows
    > after the PC's bios is finished, but has not sequenced to look for boot
    > devices. At least its been that way with Promise brand ide controller I've
    > owned. And, XP is consistently seeing the hard drive attached. XP loads
    > its own driver for the Promise card.
    >
    > The no-name hard drive may be the source of the problem. An 80 wire ide
    > cable is typical replacement with a new or used hard drive. A weak power
    > supply may give on again/off again symptoms for some of your hardware. The
    > firmware needs a relook by the PC, if the voltage drops too low. Can only
    > be done at cold boot, or reboot.
    >
    > Can't help you on missing after a few days lit off. Always turn my PC off
    > at night.
    >
    > See below inserted in your post.
    >
    > "Zeretul1" <Zeretul1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thats about it. I have a 30GB no-name IDE HDD attached by way of an
    > adaptec
    > > IDE controller card. HDD is set to master, in the right port for only one
    > > drive, using the master end of the cable, has power, and card is
    > recognized
    > > by bios and windows.
    > >

    > Here you say the bios sees the hard drive in question.
    >
    > > I never see the HDD on the bios, even when it is recognized.
    > >

    > Then, you say something opposite?????????
    >
    > > Any help will be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Much love!
    > >
    > > F.Y.I.
    > > 2.4 P4
    > > 1.5GB ram

    So, thanks for the replies. But, my original question stands. Short of
    rebooting, how can I get XP Pro to re-recognize my card-attached HDD and my
    media card hub.

    "Zeretul1" wrote:

    > Thats about it. I have a 30GB no-name IDE HDD attached by way of an adaptec
    > IDE controller card. HDD is set to master, in the right port for only one
    > drive, using the master end of the cable, has power, and card is recognized
    > by bios and windows.
    >
    > I never see the HDD on the bios, even when it is recognized.
    >
    > Any help will be appreciated.
    >
    > Much love!
    >
    > F.Y.I.
    > 2.4 P4