JetDirect 2552B BNC to 10BT

I've got a 5si MX that has a JetDirect 2552B. The machine was defaulted to
factory settings including the JetDirect. The config test page shows no IPs
defined and Port Select shows BNC. I don't have any BNC hubs or net cards
to access the JetDirect via the BNC port. How can I change the port to use
the 10BaseT? There are no options in the printer control panel and I cannot
use the JetAdmin software because my network uses 10BT.

I'm waiting on arrival of a new JetDirect 400n in a few weeks, but in the
meantime I'd like to put her on the network.

Thanks.

<< How can I change the port to use
the 10BaseT? There are no options in the printer control panel and I cannot
use the JetAdmin software because my network uses 10BT. >>

A2-

I'm not sure, but I think the 5siMX also has a Macintosh serial port. If you
can find an older Macintosh with serial printer port, you could connect to the
printer using a standard Mac printer cable. Then you can run the HP Utility
program for Macintosh that can set all the parameters.

Fred

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 18:11:08 GMT, A-2 Xprt wrote:

>I've got a 5si MX that has a JetDirect 2552B. The machine was defaulted to
>factory settings including the JetDirect. The config test page shows no IPs
>defined and Port Select shows BNC. I don't have any BNC hubs or net cards
>to access the JetDirect via the BNC port. How can I change the port to use
>the 10BaseT? There are no options in the printer control panel and I cannot
>use the JetAdmin software because my network uses 10BT.
>
>I'm waiting on arrival of a new JetDirect 400n in a few weeks, but in the
>meantime I'd like to put her on the network.
>
>Thanks.

Is there a menu that says "HP MIO 1", or "HP MIO 2".

If so, that is the menu that should allow you to configure the JetDirect
card.

Aidan Grey

Thanks for the reply Aidan. There is the MIO 1 option in the control panel
but it doesn't give any option to change the active port. I can change IP
settings like address and subnet, but not the port.
I've heard that it's supposed to auto-sense, but even sending data using the
DLC protocol (Win 2000) with the correct hardware address, I get no
printout. The print manager says "Status Not Available" presumably because
it can't communicate with the 5si on the 10bT port.

Any other ideas?

"Aidan Grey" <apgrey@nospam.con> wrote in message
> > Is there a menu that says "HP MIO 1", or "HP MIO 2".
>
> If so, that is the menu that should allow you to configure the JetDirect
> card.
>
> Aidan Grey

If there are no options in the printer control panel, this would seem to
indicate a malfunctioning printer or JetDirect card.

Try this: Write down the MAC address as printed out on the 5siMX configuration
test page. Then plug a 10BaseT Cat 5 cable into the card, hook the Cat 5 to
your network, and run HP's Install Network Printer Wizard. When the Wizard asks
you how you want to find a printer, enter the MAC address. Go from there in
setting up the IP address, etc. BTW, use a fixed IP address for JetDirect cards
for best results.

When a Cat 5 cable is plugged into the JetDirect card, do the port lights on the
network hub or switch at the other end of the cable light up?

.... Ben Myers

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 18:11:08 GMT, "A-2 Xprt" <a2xprt@nospam.pacbell.net> wrote:

>I've got a 5si MX that has a JetDirect 2552B. The machine was defaulted to
>factory settings including the JetDirect. The config test page shows no IPs
>defined and Port Select shows BNC. I don't have any BNC hubs or net cards
>to access the JetDirect via the BNC port. How can I change the port to use
>the 10BaseT? There are no options in the printer control panel and I cannot
>use the JetAdmin software because my network uses 10BT.
>
>I'm waiting on arrival of a new JetDirect 400n in a few weeks, but in the
>meantime I'd like to put her on the network.
>
>Thanks.

Ben:

The options are in the MIO menu, just nothing to change the active port
settings. I can change network protocols on/off, config TCP/IP, and so
forth.

Plugging the JetDirect into a hub does light it up, so I know there's
loopback there. Normally, when I use a JetDirect I install DLC protocol,
enter in the Hardware address and I'm good to go. This one I've done the
same, but no go. The Test page still says "BNC" for port select; even
though it's plugged into the network.

As usual Ben, thanks for the help.

> If there are no options in the printer control panel, this would seem to
> indicate a malfunctioning printer or JetDirect card.
>
> Try this: Write down the MAC address as printed out on the 5siMX
configuration
> test page. Then plug a 10BaseT Cat 5 cable into the card, hook the Cat 5
> your network, and run HP's Install Network Printer Wizard. When the
Wizard asks
> you how you want to find a printer, enter the MAC address. Go from there
in
> setting up the IP address, etc. BTW, use a fixed IP address for JetDirect
cards
> for best results.
>
> When a Cat 5 cable is plugged into the JetDirect card, do the port lights
on the
> network hub or switch at the other end of the cable light up?
>
> ... Ben Myers

And what happens when you run HP's Install Network Printer Wizard??? ... Ben

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 01:46:30 GMT, "A-2 Xprt" <a2xprt@nospam.pacbell.net> wrote:

>Ben:
>
>The options are in the MIO menu, just nothing to change the active port
>settings. I can change network protocols on/off, config TCP/IP, and so
>forth.
>
>Plugging the JetDirect into a hub does light it up, so I know there's
>loopback there. Normally, when I use a JetDirect I install DLC protocol,
>enter in the Hardware address and I'm good to go. This one I've done the
>same, but no go. The Test page still says "BNC" for port select; even
>though it's plugged into the network.
>
>As usual Ben, thanks for the help.

>> If there are no options in the printer control panel, this would seem to
>> indicate a malfunctioning printer or JetDirect card.
>>
>> Try this: Write down the MAC address as printed out on the 5siMX
>configuration
>> test page. Then plug a 10BaseT Cat 5 cable into the card, hook the Cat 5
>> your network, and run HP's Install Network Printer Wizard. When the
>Wizard asks
>> you how you want to find a printer, enter the MAC address. Go from there
>in
>> setting up the IP address, etc. BTW, use a fixed IP address for JetDirect
>cards
>> for best results.
>>
>> When a Cat 5 cable is plugged into the JetDirect card, do the port lights
>on the
>> network hub or switch at the other end of the cable light up?
>>
>> ... Ben Myers

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 18:11:08 GMT, A-2 Xprt wrote:

>I've got a 5si MX that has a JetDirect 2552B. The machine was defaulted to
>factory settings including the JetDirect. The config test page shows no IPs
>defined and Port Select shows BNC. I don't have any BNC hubs or net cards
>to access the JetDirect via the BNC port. How can I change the port to use
>the 10BaseT? There are no options in the printer control panel and I cannot
>use the JetAdmin software because my network uses 10BT.
>
>I'm waiting on arrival of a new JetDirect 400n in a few weeks, but in the
>meantime I'd like to put her on the network.
>
>Thanks.

A question with regard to your old JetDirect card.

What speed and duplex setting is used on the switch or hub it connects to?
Could the switch be set to something other than 10/half? If this was the
case,
the JetDirect would probably not correctly detect the presence of the UTP
cable.

Try plugging it into an old 10 MBit hub, and see if you get a connection
light for the JetDirect.

Aidan Grey