Icons not displaying correctly

All my files with a .ico or .cur extention displays wrong. Some program has
associated itself with those two file types, and now that program's icon
display instead of the icon self.
I removed the association, but now Windows just displays the default icon
used for unknown file types.

Any ideas how I can get icons to display as icons again?

"Wimpie van Lingen" <van_diesel@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> All my files with a .ico or .cur extention displays wrong. Some
> program has associated itself with those two file types, and now that
> program's icon display instead of the icon self.
> I removed the association, but now Windows just displays the default
> icon used for unknown file types.
>
> Any ideas how I can get icons to display as icons again?

I'll tell you what I would do, but you might wand to wait 24 hours for
someone to tell me I'm all wrong.

Open Windows Explorer and click Tools | Folder Options | File Types.
For both ICO and CUR click Advanced and remove all actions.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> "Wimpie van Lingen" <van_diesel@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> All my files with a .ico or .cur extention displays wrong. Some
>> program has associated itself with those two file types, and now that
>> program's icon display instead of the icon self.
>> I removed the association, but now Windows just displays the default
>> icon used for unknown file types.
>>
>> Any ideas how I can get icons to display as icons again?
>
> I'll tell you what I would do, but you might wand to wait 24 hours for
> someone to tell me I'm all wrong.
>
> Open Windows Explorer and click Tools | Folder Options | File Types.
> For both ICO and CUR click Advanced and remove all actions.

Do it Alan's way.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Make a file called fix.reg in Notepad from the lines below.
Doubleclick it to launch it.
Ensure the first line is REGEDIT4 and the last line is blank and that
your mail/newsreader does not add any spaces to the end of lines.

-----cut below here for ico.reg-----------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ico]
@="icofile"
"Content Type"="image/x-icon"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\icofile]
@="Icon"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\icofile\DefaultIcon]
@="%1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ani]
@="anifile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\anifile]
@="Animated Cursor"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\anifile\DefaultIcon]
@="%1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.cur]
@="curfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\curfile]
@="Cursor"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\curfile\DefaultIcon]
@="%1"

-----end file above here

....Alan
http://dts-l.org/index.html

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 03:14:58 +0200, "Wimpie van Lingen"
<van_diesel@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>All my files with a .ico or .cur extention displays wrong. Some program has
>associated itself with those two file types, and now that program's icon
>display instead of the icon self.
>I removed the association, but now Windows just displays the default icon
>used for unknown file types.
>
>Any ideas how I can get icons to display as icons again?

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 21:44:19 -0500, "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE"
<franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote:

>"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> "Wimpie van Lingen" <van_diesel@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>>> All my files with a .ico or .cur extention displays wrong. Some
>>> program has associated itself with those two file types, and now that
>>> program's icon display instead of the icon self.
>>> I removed the association, but now Windows just displays the default
>>> icon used for unknown file types.
>>>
>>> Any ideas how I can get icons to display as icons again?
>>
>> I'll tell you what I would do, but you might wand to wait 24 hours for
>> someone to tell me I'm all wrong.
>>
>> Open Windows Explorer and click Tools | Folder Options | File Types.
>> For both ICO and CUR click Advanced and remove all actions.
>
>Do it Alan's way.

Thanks Frank.
No need to wait 24 hours now <g>

....Alan