HP LJ3 50 Service Error - Update

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Greetings,
I am trying to figure out if the problem is the fuser or the
power supply.

The two AC leads on the fuser show an open circuit.
The two AC lugs from the PS which go into the fuser have ~120V.
The +24, +5, & -5 voltages are present on the side port.

I take this to mean that the problem is either the lamp or
the thermal cutoff electronics.

Comments?

<adthanksvance>
-het

--
"progress in software has not followed Moore's law." -John Holland

Computer Links: http://www.autobahn.mb.ca/~het/clinks.html
H.E. Taylor http://www.autobahn.mb.ca/~het/

H. E. Taylor wrote:

> Greetings,
> I am trying to figure out if the problem is the fuser or the
> power supply.
>
> The two AC leads on the fuser show an open circuit.
> The two AC lugs from the PS which go into the fuser have ~120V.
> The +24, +5, & -5 voltages are present on the side port.
>
> I take this to mean that the problem is either the lamp or
> the thermal cutoff electronics.
>
> Comments?
>
> <adthanksvance>
> -het

Yes, It seems so.

There is a fuse like thing in series with the lamp.

If you pull out the fuser and look you can figure out how to get into
the middle of the fuser and get direct access to the fuse thing. In the
middle of the "leading edge". At that stage, you can determine what is
open... the lamp filament or the fuse thing.

It is a lot of detailed work to replace the lamp, and cost wise, getting
a rebuilt fuser is far better for you.

I never located a source for spare fuse things, so.... you need to most
likely trade in the fuser for a rebuilt one..... or buy another printer
real cheap and maybe it has a good fuser.

Jim

Keepsake gift for young girls.
Unique and personal one-of-a-kind.
Builds strong minds 12 ways.
Guaranteed satisfaction
- courteous money back
- keep bonus gifts

http://www.alicebook.com

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

HP's spare part replacement unit is the entire fuser, which can be removed
easily by unscrewing 4 screws. Companies selling spares for older HP printers
have followed suit, usually with a trade-in of the old fuser. HP probably does
not sell spares for the LJ III any more... Ben Myers

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 17:24:48 -0500, jbuch <jbuch@CUTHERErevealed.net> wrote:

>H. E. Taylor wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>> I am trying to figure out if the problem is the fuser or the
>> power supply.
>>
>> The two AC leads on the fuser show an open circuit.
>> The two AC lugs from the PS which go into the fuser have ~120V.
>> The +24, +5, & -5 voltages are present on the side port.
>>
>> I take this to mean that the problem is either the lamp or
>> the thermal cutoff electronics.
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> <adthanksvance>
>> -het
>>

>Yes, It seems so.
>
>There is a fuse like thing in series with the lamp.
>
>If you pull out the fuser and look you can figure out how to get into
>the middle of the fuser and get direct access to the fuse thing. In the
>middle of the "leading edge". At that stage, you can determine what is
>open... the lamp filament or the fuse thing.
>
>It is a lot of detailed work to replace the lamp, and cost wise, getting
>a rebuilt fuser is far better for you.
>
>I never located a source for spare fuse things, so.... you need to most
>likely trade in the fuser for a rebuilt one..... or buy another printer
>real cheap and maybe it has a good fuser.
>
>Jim
>
>--
>

>Keepsake gift for young girls.
>Unique and personal one-of-a-kind.
>Builds strong minds 12 ways.
>Guaranteed satisfaction
>- courteous money back
>- keep bonus gifts
>
> http://www.alicebook.com

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Best parts source for all canon based lasers: www.theprinterworks.com

erie