Flashing Desktop

September 9, 2005 12:53:02 AM

After I reinstalled an HP printer from the Internet, my desktop started
flashing. The arrow turns into an hourglass for a split second at the same
time. I found that something turned on the Windows Installer (it showed
"Manual".) I finally got that to stop trying to install, but the desktop is
still flashing. What in the world could cause this and how do I get it to
stop? It's very irritating.
Thank you to whoever can help me.
--
S Jan

More about : flashing desktop

September 9, 2005 8:28:27 AM

Sagit wrote:

> After I reinstalled an HP printer from the Internet, my desktop
> started
> flashing. The arrow turns into an hourglass for a split second at the
> same
> time. I found that something turned on the Windows Installer (it
> showed
> "Manual".) I finally got that to stop trying to install, but the
> desktop is still flashing. What in the world could cause this and how
> do I get it to
> stop? It's very irritating.
> Thank you to whoever can help me.

It's HP's cr*ppy software. For the Desktop problem, try MVP Kelly
Theriot's fix:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm - Prevent automatic icon
and folder refresh, Line 157

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Sagit Wrote:
> After I reinstalled an HP printer from the Internet, my desktop started
> flashing. The arrow turns into an hourglass for a split second at the
> same
> time. I found that something turned on the Windows Installer (it
> showed
> "Manual".) I finally got that to stop trying to install, but the
> desktop is
> still flashing. What in the world could cause this and how do I get it
> stop? It's very irritating.
> Thank you to whoever can help me.
> --
> S Jan

Are you sure about the safety of this printer driver ?

In other words, all you wrote mean that this driver could be a
malicious software or a corrupted one (while downloadi, for instance)

Try to get another driver from the main HP url and ensure it is signed
before installing.

Hamed Kalbar

--
hamedkalbar
September 9, 2005 12:41:05 PM

I did download the printer driver from the HP website, and tried to update
the drivers, but they were OK. I disabled the automatic refresh for the
desktop icons and folders. The "hiccups" still occur. I looked in the
printers and FAX box, and the check mark designating the default printer
keeps going back and forth from the 5600 printer to the 2610 printer. So, I
am going to contact HP and see if they can shed some light. Thanks so much.
If they cannot help, I will get back to you. Thanks again.
--
S Jan

"Sagit" wrote:

> After I reinstalled an HP printer from the Internet, my desktop started
> flashing. The arrow turns into an hourglass for a split second at the same
> time. I found that something turned on the Windows Installer (it showed
> "Manual".) I finally got that to stop trying to install, but the desktop is
> still flashing. What in the world could cause this and how do I get it to
> stop? It's very irritating.
> Thank you to whoever can help me.
> --
> S Jan
September 10, 2005 7:02:20 AM

>What in the world could cause this ...

WIA.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

In memory of those lost during Katrina &
Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.

!