Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Is there a way to tell if my USB ports are 1.1 or 2.0? When I bought the PC
I thought I was getting 2.0 USB.

Purchased 4600 in Feb 04.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

PRB

--
"I LET MY MIND WANDER AND IT NEVER CAME BACK"

They are and you did.

Tom
"Phil" <PRB14-WN@(spamnono).invalid> wrote in message
> Is there a way to tell if my USB ports are 1.1 or 2.0? When I bought the
PC
> I thought I was getting 2.0 USB.
>
> Purchased 4600 in Feb 04.
>
> Any help appreciated. Thanks.
>
> PRB
>
> --
> "I LET MY MIND WANDER AND IT NEVER CAME BACK"

"Phil" <PRB14-WN@(spamnono).invalid> wrote in message
> Is there a way to tell if my USB ports are 1.1 or 2.0? When I bought the
> PC
> I thought I was getting 2.0 USB.
>
> Purchased 4600 in Feb 04.
>
> Any help appreciated. Thanks.
>
> PRB
>
> --
> "I LET MY MIND WANDER AND IT NEVER CAME BACK"

They are. Should be listed as "enhanced" USB controllers in device manager
if I recall correctly.....

Stew

They should all be. To check;

1) Right click on "my computer" on the desktop.
2) Click the "Hardware" tab.
3) Click "Device Manager".
4) Expand (Click +) "Universal Serial Bus controllers"

Any controllers with "Enhanced" in the description are USB 2.0.
I have 2 labeled "VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller" (for USB 2.0)(each
enhanced controller drives 2 plug-ins), and 4 "VIA Rev 5 or later USB
Universal Host Companion Controllers" (for USB 1.1)(1 plug per controller).
Ignore the USB Root Hubs, as they are drivers associated with all the USB
ports, whether 2.0 or 1.1.

If you have any non-enhanced controllers listed, plug a device (camera,
scanner, etc...) into any USB port, and the device should show up listed
under one of the ports in the device manager window. Just check each port
like this to see which ones ar 2.0 or 1.1.

On my 8250, which is supposed to have 8 USB 2.0 ports, only the 2 in front
and top 2 in back are 2.0, while the bottom 4 in back are 1.1.

Dell couldn't fix the problem, and would only give me a replacement machine
with a greatly downgraded graphics card, so I'm getting by with 4 high speed
& 4 low speed USB ports. Hop you have better luck...

---BW---