Win XP Explorer Search Function

Since moving to Win XP I have found that Win Explorer Search Files &
Folders function does not work properly (as Win 98 did).

I need to search a subset of the files (for example *.pas) to find a
file containing a string (for example TLargeInteger). Win 98 would have
found this but Win XP returns with no item found when there is
definitely a file(s) with that string in it in plain text (ie not
unicode).

Is there some subtle selection I am not making or is the Win XP Search
function broken.

Alan Lloyd
3 answers Last reply
More about explorer search function

    alanglloyd@aol.com wrote:

    > Since moving to Win XP I have found that Win Explorer Search Files &
    > Folders function does not work properly (as Win 98 did).

    Using the "A word or phrase in the file" search criterion may not work
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309173/en-us

    "Content Search Does Not Search All File Types for the Specified String"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309447/en-us

    > And if this is the case, how can I change that?

    You may want to use "Agent Ransack" on WinXP systems instead:
    http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/default.aspx

    --
    d-d

    Thanks d-d, I went with adding the key to the file-type entry in the
    Registry.

    Now works OK - Here's the registry file I used.

    Contents of PasDpr_Search.reg ...

    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pas\Persis­tentHandler]
    @="{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08­002b30bfeb}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dpr\Persis­tentHandler]
    @="{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08­002b30bfeb}"

    Alan Lloyd

    alanglloyd@aol.com wrote:

    > Thanks d-d, I went with adding the key to the file-type entry in the
    > Registry.

    You're welcome, thanks for the feedback.

    --
    d-d

Explorer Windows XP