Win XP Explorer Search Function

Since moving to Win XP I have found that Win Explorer Search Files &
Folders function does not work properly (as Win 98 did).

I need to search a subset of the files (for example *.pas) to find a
file containing a string (for example TLargeInteger). Win 98 would have
found this but Win XP returns with no item found when there is
definitely a file(s) with that string in it in plain text (ie not
unicode).

Is there some subtle selection I am not making or is the Win XP Search
function broken.

Alan Lloyd

alanglloyd@aol.com wrote:

> Since moving to Win XP I have found that Win Explorer Search Files &
> Folders function does not work properly (as Win 98 did).

Using the "A word or phrase in the file" search criterion may not work
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309173/en-us

"Content Search Does Not Search All File Types for the Specified String"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309447/en-us

> And if this is the case, how can I change that?

You may want to use "Agent Ransack" on WinXP systems instead:
http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/default.aspx

--
d-d

Thanks d-d, I went with adding the key to the file-type entry in the
Registry.

Now works OK - Here's the registry file I used.

Contents of PasDpr_Search.reg ...

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pas\Persis­tentHandler]
@="{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08­002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dpr\Persis­tentHandler]
@="{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08­002b30bfeb}"

Alan Lloyd

alanglloyd@aol.com wrote:

> Thanks d-d, I went with adding the key to the file-type entry in the
> Registry.

You're welcome, thanks for the feedback.

--
d-d