Sign in with
Your question

OEM Licencing

Last response: in Windows 7
November 22, 2012 1:17:45 AM

Hi everyone,

I was wanting some help with oem licencing for windows. I have decided that I would like to build systems as I have had a lot of requests for them, Also i would like to refurbish/recycle systems so I have a few questions which are

Where do I buy the licences from?
How much do they cost?
Will I get COA's?
Will a refurbished system need a new licence?
Do I need to be a "big" company to do this???

Any help would be much appreciated thanks!

Chris

More about : oem licencing

a b $ Windows 7
November 22, 2012 1:37:58 AM

Those sound like really good questions for Microsoft.
a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 22, 2012 1:41:40 AM

Hey Chris,

1. Many online retailers sell OEM copies of Windows 7, such as Newegg, NCIX, and TigerDirect. You can also get them at many physical stores such as retail Best Buy locations.

2. It may vary slightly, but most online and retail shops sell OEM copies for roughly the same prices for each edition.

3. Yes, a COA sticker containing the license key will come with the install media.

4. It depends what was done to the machine. If the system already had a license but you had to change out the motherboard to a different model when you rebuilt it, the system will need a new license.

5. No. With Windows 7, technically anyone can purchase an OEM license, but in some areas (like most of the United States if memory serves) you are required to buy a piece of hardware with the OEM copy of the OS. In some areas, this is not required (I live in Canada and it is not required here).
Related resources
November 22, 2012 2:13:22 AM

Thanks for the reply Phrophecy!

What I was wondering, is there no way to buy one disc and then get a licence and COA for each new build??

I live in the UK btw.

Thanks

Chris
November 22, 2012 2:15:35 AM

ss202sl said:
Those sound like really good questions for Microsoft.

Probabl, but thought someone on here might know
a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 22, 2012 4:18:51 AM

berwick_repair said:
Thanks for the reply Phrophecy!

What I was wondering, is there no way to buy one disc and then get a licence and COA for each new build??

I live in the UK btw.

Thanks

Chris

If you are going to be doing this in large volume, then I would suggest looking into Volume Licensing. It should be much more convenient for you, in addition to being a cheaper option.
November 22, 2012 3:04:22 PM

The_Prophecy said:
If you are going to be doing this in large volume, then I would suggest looking into Volume Licensing. It should be much more convenient for you, in addition to being a cheaper option.

Thanks, Ill look at that :) 
!