Your question
Solved

Windows will not boot up, just freezes completely

Tags:
  • Boot
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
November 22, 2012 2:22:27 AM

Well i had bough Gta IV for pc. And after some updates required by the game it needed to restart my pc, when it booted back up, it had said some files were corrupted and i couldnt boot the OS. I tried installing, but it kept saying boot Mgr was missing, and said to press ctrl alt and delete and restarted the system. After weeks of trying, i used an actual program on my laptop and burned an iso of windows 7 to a disc. I went thru the install and after using any somewhat demanding task or program like internet explorer it would freeze, mouse, keyboard, etc would freeze. I had to hard reset it. Now most of the time it gets to where it shows the green, blue and red colors or something spinning to form the windows logo and then freezes. Ive tried various methods of switching around hardware like video cards, switchin ram, etc. Still same results. Ran memtest and cant get results due to it freezing. So i have a huge hunch i could be the ram. But again, it could be anything. Anybdy no the answer to this. itd be much appreciated.

More about : windows boot freezes completely

November 22, 2012 6:00:56 AM

Which game do you have in your computer? and when i need to restar your laptop, what is the prompt of it?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 22, 2012 6:21:13 AM

Ok to test the memory go here http://www.memtest86.com/ download and burn it to CD then boot your PC with that disc. You will need to choose to boot from CD instead of the hard drive. Let it run and it will check your memory.

If that comes back clean you could have a bad driver that is causing your PC to freeze. Have you installed all the required drivers? It sounds like you used the Windows 7 disc to re-install did you install all the drivers after that and get all of the updates including Service Pack 1?
m
l
Related resources
November 22, 2012 10:14:21 AM

Can you pls go into your bios and look at PC Health status and tell me you CPU temps...

m
l
November 25, 2012 3:01:14 PM

@bryonhowley, i did memtest and no errors seem to come up, an di cant install, uninstall any drivers or windows updates because if i can get onto the windows screen, then it freezes when doing any somewhat demanding task, like internet explorer or the windows update

@americanbrian, Cpu fan speed is at 2057 RPM and the cpu temp is at 32 degrees celcius, which is 89 degrees farenheit, which im pretty sure is actually normal or pretty cool temp right?
m
l
November 25, 2012 3:33:07 PM

Also, it is an ECS elitgroup motherboard with a intel core 2 du0 2.66 ghz dual core, 2 gb of ram, and i have numerous fans so everything is in fact cool
m
l
November 25, 2012 7:45:53 PM

Ok so i updated some video drivers hoping it would fix the issue, since it seems to be a software issue. It doesnt freeze as easily anymore, but it still freezes
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 26, 2012 12:20:20 AM

http://www.gta4.net/news/4135/recommended-pc-specificat...

Minimum System Requirements

OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz, AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4Ghz
Memory: 1.5GB, 16GB Free Hard Drive Space
Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA 7900 / 256MB ATI X1900

Recommended System Requirements

OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz, AMD Phenom X3 2.1Ghz
Memory: 2 GB (Windows XP) 2.5 GB (Windows Vista)
18 GB Free Hard Drive Space
Video Card: 512MB NVIDIA 8600 / 512MB ATI 3870

Basically, this game is not suitedto Windows 7 OS.

You need to uninstall the game and any updates that came with it.

m
l

Best solution

November 26, 2012 9:01:29 PM

It is suited for windows 7, one of the updates that came with it screwed up my previous windows 7 OS. I reinstalled and NOW the freezing occurs. It has something to do with the iso I used to install it, drivers are most likely corrupt
!