Changing new motherboard with Windows7

alanfox99

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
Hi guys,

Recently I want to upgrade my hardware, such as Motherboard, CPU as well as display card, while I have Windows7 is installed on existing hardware.

1. Do I need to re-install the Windows7 after upgrading?
2. Do I need to re-register with Microsoft, regarding to the Windows7 re-detecting all new hardware.

Thanks,

Alan

visa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Almost absolutely yes. I would back up all important files and you could try booting but it will almost assuredly fail to boot up.

If you have access to imaging software such as Acronis, it can create hardware independent images but it's not free and I've had mixed results with the hardware independent images between different PC's.

I would reinstall Windows 7 from scratch either way. You'll have to activate it again (not register) but it should go through successfully assuming it's a retail version of Windows and not an OEM copy. If it's retail and fails to activate just call the number it gives you and tell them you just reinstalled and they'll fix it up for you.

daship

Distinguished
Oem, 1 time,
Retail, Infinite.
Technet 20 times.

If you your old motherboard was an intel chipset and the new one is to it will boot. I dont recommend it though because the registry will have things from the old motherboard.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Look at your sales receipt or your box it came in. If it's a Green, Blue, etc slip case cover with a plastic case, then you have a retail version.

windows-7-home-premium.jpg

The picture above is for Windows 7 Home. The professional version is in a blue slip case and ultimate is in a black slip case.

OEM's come in a small case (the size of a single DVD case) with a white slip cover.

win7_oem_03.jpg

Also, your Product Key sticker will say if it's OEM:

win7_oem_06.jpg

Or, did it come preinstalled with your PC? If so, that is also an OEM copy as well and you WON'T be able to use it on a new motherboard and will have to purchase a new copy of Windows 7. This is due to the fact that OEM copies are tied directly with the hardware they've been activated on, especially with PCs that come preinstalled with an OS.

I will share my experience with this issue on my new build.

I installed Win 7 64-bit (OEM) on an EVGA 3-way SLI motherboard. Later, I decided to upgrade to the EVGA Classified board. I made the motherboard switch, re-installed all hardware, and decided to turn the computer ON (even though EVGA clearly stated that I must re-install the OS).

Everything worked fine for a few days. Then I noticed that the Win 7 animation during start-up would freeze for about 12 seconds, and then resume. This was consistent and went on for a few days.

At this point, I decided to re-install Win 7 (per EVGA's clear instructions that came with the new board) on the new motherboard, and I did.

I powered ON the computer. I got a message requesting me to contact Microsoft for the activation code. I called Microsoft and they gave me the new activation code. They also told me that I will have to call them for the code in case I need to re-install Win 7 hereafter.

This is applicable to OEM versions of Win 7

Hope this info helps.

isamuelson

Distinguished

Sometimes this happens. I guess maybe they either don't check to see if it's OEM or they're too lazy or they don't know. However, that IS in violation of the OEM license and is technically illegal.

p1n3apqlexpr3ss

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
My experience with company XP discs... (pbtech.co.nz and dell)
Well... we had a olderish athlon xp system, agp and all, my dad decides to clean the interior of the case, takes off HSF, takes out cpu, fries that somehow (was in a day i didnt know much bout computers), we go out, get a new system with a e5200 in it, lga775, different platform, diff mobo, and we use the cd key and disc from the old system and it works completly fine on the new one....
My other experience i just realised was with a dell disc, with a oem key on the original oem mobo...