"Save As" window size too big - cannot resize!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

for some of the software installed on my PC (not for all), the window size
of the "Save As..." window is now bigger than the screen. I have tried to
find an answer on how to resize this window again to a size that is within
the screen boundaries, but I was not successful. please help!
what I see at the moment is the upper part of the window. the filename
box, filetype box, OK and Cancel are not visible (off the screen). on the
left side I see the "Places", but only the top 2 or 3 of the places list. I
can save files by blindly type the name and press enter.

- I can't reach the lower righthand corner of the window --> resizing with
the mouse does not work
- rightclick or doubleclick on caption/title bar on top of the window does
not show me the resize option or resizes the window
- Alt-Spacebar does not show me the resize option (just Move and close)
- there is no maximize/minimize button in the upper right corner

this is for several software on my PC (i.e. Maxthon and regedit (export)).

any help or pointer is greatly appreciated

thanks
dan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Double-click on the "title bar". (The topmost section)

Dan wrote:

> for some of the software installed on my PC (not for all), the window size
> of the "Save As..." window is now bigger than the screen. I have tried to
> find an answer on how to resize this window again to a size that is within
> the screen boundaries, but I was not successful. please help!
> what I see at the moment is the upper part of the window. the filename
> box, filetype box, OK and Cancel are not visible (off the screen). on the
> left side I see the "Places", but only the top 2 or 3 of the places list. I
> can save files by blindly type the name and press enter.
>
> - I can't reach the lower righthand corner of the window --> resizing with
> the mouse does not work
> - rightclick or doubleclick on caption/title bar on top of the window does
> not show me the resize option or resizes the window
> - Alt-Spacebar does not show me the resize option (just Move and close)
> - there is no maximize/minimize button in the upper right corner
>
> this is for several software on my PC (i.e. Maxthon and regedit (export)).
>
> any help or pointer is greatly appreciated
>
> thanks
> dan

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Bob,

I have never seen this option work for Save As nor have any effect.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

In memory of those lost during Katrina &
Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.

> Double-click on the "title bar". (The topmost section)
>
> Dan wrote:
>
>> for some of the software installed on my PC (not for all), the window
>> size
>> of the "Save As..." window is now bigger than the screen. I have tried to
>> find an answer on how to resize this window again to a size that is
>> within
>> the screen boundaries, but I was not successful. please help!
>> what I see at the moment is the upper part of the window. the filename
>> box, filetype box, OK and Cancel are not visible (off the screen). on the
>> left side I see the "Places", but only the top 2 or 3 of the places list.
>> can save files by blindly type the name and press enter.
>>
>> - I can't reach the lower righthand corner of the window --> resizing
>> with
>> the mouse does not work
>> - rightclick or doubleclick on caption/title bar on top of the window
>> does
>> not show me the resize option or resizes the window
>> - Alt-Spacebar does not show me the resize option (just Move and close)
>> - there is no maximize/minimize button in the upper right corner
>>
>> this is for several software on my PC (i.e. Maxthon and regedit
>> (export)).
>>
>> any help or pointer is greatly appreciated
>>
>> thanks
>> dan

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Have never seen this behavior, Dan.

1. Which program installs are showing this?
2. What are the display settings set to?
3. Using the enter key works just as well.

Good luck and keep us posted.

--

"Dan" <nospamgonzzo@nospamgmx.li> wrote in message
> for some of the software installed on my PC (not for all), the window size
> of the "Save As..." window is now bigger than the screen. I have tried to
> find an answer on how to resize this window again to a size that is within
> the screen boundaries, but I was not successful. please help!
> what I see at the moment is the upper part of the window. the filename
> box, filetype box, OK and Cancel are not visible (off the screen). on the
> left side I see the "Places", but only the top 2 or 3 of the places list.
> can save files by blindly type the name and press enter.
>
> - I can't reach the lower righthand corner of the window --> resizing with
> the mouse does not work
> - rightclick or doubleclick on caption/title bar on top of the window does
> not show me the resize option or resizes the window
> - Alt-Spacebar does not show me the resize option (just Move and close)
> - there is no maximize/minimize button in the upper right corner
>
> this is for several software on my PC (i.e. Maxthon and regedit (export)).
>
> any help or pointer is greatly appreciated
>
> thanks
> dan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Open a MS Office 2003 application and try it. The OP only left little hints.

:)

PS WELCOME BACK!

Kelly wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> I have never seen this option work for Save As nor have any effect.

emarkay

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
Yes, double click on the top bar and the "Save As" window returns to normal size.

Another stupidity from Micro$oft. Thank [generic deity] for Ubuntu Linux!

Kees23

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Try GiMeSpace Desktop Extender, it will allow you to work smoothly with windows that are bigger then your screen!
Enjoy!