XP Pro Boots in End-less Loop

I have an older Gateway computer, that has XP Pro on it. After doing a
re-install, and updating all Windoes files from MS, I cannot install SP2
without the system going into an endless re-boot. The XP screen comes up,
then re-boots over and over. all other updates have been appied and are
working corectly. any ideas?

Gateway 1.8ghz
512mg ddr ram
ati 9200 se

Hi

Are you trying to install SP2 via Windows Update or from an SP2 CD? Do you
see any error messages when the reboot occurs?

--

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

"Ingoloid" <ingoloid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an older Gateway computer, that has XP Pro on it. After doing a
>re-install, and updating all Windoes files from MS, I cannot install SP2
>without the system going into an endless re-boot. The XP screen comes up,
>then re-boots over and over. all other updates have been appied and are
>working corectly. any ideas?
>
> Gateway 1.8ghz
> 512mg ddr ram
> ati 9200 se

Have done both ways...SP2 admin file that i downloaded form MS, then used to
MS way of unistalling the service pack. The I also tried the web-site way.
Have talked to Gateway folks (bewteeen them always trying to sell me
something), but what they suggest doesn't really apply to this situation,
something about a tvmedia application being installed.. and i dont have it
on my computer. It will boot into safe mode with SP2, but constantly
re-boots to the black XP boot screen when booting normally.

> Hi
>
> Are you trying to install SP2 via Windows Update or from an SP2 CD? Do
> you see any error messages when the reboot occurs?
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
> "Ingoloid" <ingoloid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have an older Gateway computer, that has XP Pro on it. After doing a
>>re-install, and updating all Windoes files from MS, I cannot install SP2
>>without the system going into an endless re-boot. The XP screen comes up,
>>then re-boots over and over. all other updates have been appied and are
>>working corectly. any ideas?
>>
>> Gateway 1.8ghz
>> 512mg ddr ram
>> ati 9200 se

"Ingoloid" <ingoloid@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Have done both ways...SP2 admin file that i downloaded form MS, then used to
>MS way of unistalling the service pack. The I also tried the web-site way.
>Have talked to Gateway folks (bewteeen them always trying to sell me
>something), but what they suggest doesn't really apply to this situation,
>something about a tvmedia application being installed.. and i dont have it
>on my computer. It will boot into safe mode with SP2, but constantly
>re-boots to the black XP boot screen when booting normally.

In Safe Mode right-click on My Computer and select Manage.
Expand the Event Viewer category and browse through the 3
subcategories looking for red-flagged error events that correspond to
the normal startup - reboots. Double-click on an error record to see
the details of that error.

Also open Control Panel - System - Advanced and click on the Settings
button in the Startup and Recovery (bottom) section. In the Startup
and Recovery window click on the checkbox for "automatically restart"
to clear it. That may put an end to the reboots on a normal startup,
but they may be replaced by a Blue Screen Of Death "STOP" error. If
so then that will actually be an improvement because with the
information from the STOP message, including the STOP code, all 4
parameters, and any file or module names mentioned it should be
possible to diagnose the underlying cause of the problem.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Hi Ron

An endless reboot would normally suggest a 'Repair' install. I haven't come
across any other solution.

--

> "Ingoloid" <ingoloid@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Have done both ways...SP2 admin file that i downloaded form MS, then used
>>MS way of unistalling the service pack. The I also tried the web-site
>>way.
>>Have talked to Gateway folks (bewteeen them always trying to sell me
>>something), but what they suggest doesn't really apply to this situation,
>>something about a tvmedia application being installed.. and i dont have it
>>on my computer. It will boot into safe mode with SP2, but constantly
>>re-boots to the black XP boot screen when booting normally.
>>

> In Safe Mode right-click on My Computer and select Manage.
> Expand the Event Viewer category and browse through the 3
> subcategories looking for red-flagged error events that correspond to
> the normal startup - reboots. Double-click on an error record to see
> the details of that error.
>
> Also open Control Panel - System - Advanced and click on the Settings
> button in the Startup and Recovery (bottom) section. In the Startup
> and Recovery window click on the checkbox for "automatically restart"
> to clear it. That may put an end to the reboots on a normal startup,
> but they may be replaced by a Blue Screen Of Death "STOP" error. If
> so then that will actually be an improvement because with the
> information from the STOP message, including the STOP code, all 4
> parameters, and any file or module names mentioned it should be
> possible to diagnose the underlying cause of the problem.
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Hi,

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 12:30:22 +0200, "Ingoloid" <ingoloid@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> The XP screen comes up,
>then re-boots over and over.

I have once experienced the endless loop.

In my case it was because the harddisk, where Windows XP was installed
got filled up.

So at the point where it was to create a pagefile.sys (the swap file),
there was not enough harddisk space to create the file ... Windows
then went into to endless loop (couldn't go into safe mode either).

I had to connect the harddisk to another computer and remove some
files to make room for the pagefile.sys. Then it booted.

Just in case you can use it.

Regards Leif.

"Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote:

>Hi Ron
>
>An endless reboot would normally suggest a 'Repair' install. I haven't come
>across any other solution.

In this case the machine will boot into Safe Mode so a bit of
investigation is possible and perhaps warranted.

There is also the possibility that her Gateway has only a "System
Recovery" disk or partition if the Windows XP came bundled with it.
That would likely preclude any possibility of doing a Repair Install.