WarBird

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2004
I'm looking into building a new computer and I need some expert advice on which processor to buy. I read the reviews and the christmas buyer's guide, but questions still remain. For instance, upgradeability- I will want to be able to replace the CPU in a couple years, so I need one that will allow me to have that option. It was also mentioned that Intel might be switching to a new socket style soon, should I maybe wait until that happens or is that just pure rumor? If I did go with an Athlon64 would I be able to buy a Cpu in the future that uses the same style socket? And from a modding standpoint, could I use waterblocks with Socket A mounting holes on a Athlon64, or are the holes different? One last thing, should I just buy a processor, and plan on having to replace the motherboard in a couple years if i want to upgrade? Any help answering any of these questions would be greatly aprecciated. Thanks.

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
I would wait for a couple months before buying anything. Lots of new things around the corner, and they are prolly worth waiting for.

As for the mobo question, it's usually better to buy a new one. I for one would not want an old KT266 chipset for an AXP if you can get an nforce2. A good mobo is very important, and relativly cheap.

<b>wooooow <font color=red> Killer Klowns </font color=red> ... from <font color=blue>outer space</font color=blue>... HOLY SH¡T!</b>

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
Intel will be bring BTX form factor soon and it will replace ATX. except AMD will be left out in the cold. BTX=Balance Technology Extended
improved thermal, acoustics, and flexibility for a brighter future. So buy INTEL, if you don't want to be had. Intel will also bring first ever pinless cpu to the market, so no more bent or broken pins. LGA socket 775 has a future with Prescott, P4EE, Tejas, Celeron. Windows Longhorn will go gold in 2006. Who cares about windows 64 for extended systems.

-------
:evil: <b><font color=red>K</font color=red></b>anavit's Aquamark3 rig----><A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=1817959409" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=1817959409</A>

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
Thanks, but what is PCI express?
It's something new Intel brought also i forgot to mention. suppose to be faster than agp 8x. It's new Graphics slot interface replacing aging AGP slot.

-------
:evil: <b><font color=red>K</font color=red></b>anavit's Aquamark3 rig----><A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=1817959409" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=1817959409</A>

WarBird

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2004
Thanks so much, I had been leaning towards intel, but I wasn't sure. You said BTX would be coming out soon, are we talking a month or 6 here though?

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
*can't resist*
Inasne raving is not quite the same without leet talk...

To the original poster:
Don't listen to Kanavit he's a 'special' person.

If you want advice on what to buy there are plenty of sane, normal people who will give you advice based on you requirenments.

<b>wooooow <font color=red> Killer Klowns </font color=red> ... from <font color=blue>outer space</font color=blue>... HOLY SH¡T!</b>

superpsa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2002
This is a joke right?

<sarcasm>Yep, I'm going to ignore all the other options and buy Intel because it's going to use a BTX layout whereas the AMD CPUs will still be using that old hack ATX style! And Intel's pinless design will solve all those problems I used to have with bending the pins...because I'm a total muppet. And with Intel *inventing* PCI-Express, obviously they're the right choice. And...who needs a heating system when you could go Intel? Face it, they've got it sorted! </sarcasm>

AMD Is An Anagram Of MAD, Intel Is An Anagram Of INLET, Cyrix...Ah Who Cares?

G

>Intel will be bring BTX form factor soon and it will
>replace ATX. except AMD will be left out in the cold.

As if motherboard manufacturs couldnt make BTX form Athlon boards.. sheesh.

> BTX=Balance Technology Extended
>improved thermal, acoustics, and flexibility for a brighter
>future

Yeah, those hot prescotts indeed require such a new form factor to get rid of all that heat.. big heatsinks, huge noisy fans, I guess that is your idea of improved accoustics. If you want *less* noise, try Cool & Quiet and be able to run fanless.

>So buy INTEL, if you don't want to be had

Since there are no BTX boards yet, and when they come they will come equally as intel and AMD boards, I don't really see you point.. but then, I'm not surprised.

>ntel will also bring first ever pinless cpu to the market,
>so no more bent or broken pins

Do some reading. Those chips are actually *more* fragile than current cpu's.

>LGA socket 775 has a future with Prescott, P4EE, Tejas,
>Celeron

Prescott, yes, way up to 4 GHz -a mighty 25% "upgrade" from a current P4, and likely much less from what is available whenever s775 is available. Tejas ? Says who ? Celeron ? Exactly, there is an upgrade path for you !

>Windows Longhorn will go gold in 2006. Who cares about >windows 64 for extended systems

Who cares about Longhorn ? Windows XP for AMD64 will be made available this year, normally this summer.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

G

>One last thing, should I just buy a processor, and plan on
>having to replace the motherboard in a couple years if i
>want to upgrade?

Yes. Simple as that. Not any current mb will run with cpu's that will be released a few years from here. In fact, any current motherboard will be "obsolete" in just a few months, when intel comes out with socket 775, AMD with socket 939, and both will come with PCI express to replace AGP.

I wouldnt let this keep you from buying now though, you could wait months to get eg a S939 with a PCI express card, only to find that you don't really need an upgrade for the next 3 or 5 years anyway, after which time you'll need to replace your motherboard anyway. It would be like being stuck with a socket 7 EDO Ram motherboard today, trying to upgrade it.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
PCI-Express is the new Serial PCI interface. X1 replaces standard PCI with a tiny slot that has almost 2x the performance. x4 replaces those fast server slots (like 66MHz, 64-bit PCI-X). x16 replaces AGP8x. Most PC boards will probably have x1 slots and an x16 slot.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Ho no! Another Kavanit pointless post...

Come on Kavanit, be smarter! BTX is not revolutionnary! It's only a new way for Intel to make sure their chip will get better cooling because they need it.

And BTX is not yet available, so why do you recommend this to someone who wnats to buy a system now (or in a near future)?

And how amazed we will be... A pinless CPU, it's so amazing, I can't believe this anyone on my streets will come to my heuse to see this marvelous thing! I will be The King. And by the way if you bent or broke a pin on a CPU, it's because you should not touch it.

You don't even mention that AMD will get a new socket too that will be future proof. And for the 64 bits edition Windows, we don't necessarly care too. But it's not bad to have a CPU that is ready for it. And with actual 32 bits applications AMD64 performs well.

The more I read from you, the more I understand why people banned you from other forums.

I'm not an AMD Fan. I'm an aware customer that don't want to be ripped off. And I want people to have a clear picture of the market, not an opinion of an AMD basher that don't actually understand much of the CPU market.

KAvanit : are you working for Intel? And you only come here to bash AMD...

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
For instance, upgradeability- I will want to be able to replace the CPU in a couple years, so I need one that will allow me to have that option.
Wow! It's almost impossible to buy a system that will last that long. The only way to get upgradability in today's CPU market is to get the slowest CPU a motherboard support. But it's not a good thing to do. Because usually for only a few more dollars you get a better CPU.

Both Intel and AMD will get new socket out within a couple of months. Basically no have have an advantage. Maybe Intel, because some actual motherboard will support Prescott CPU (if they ever come out...). But, by the time you will want to upgrade, PCI-X will be out and the TOP CPU will only work on new motherboard.

If I were you, I would wait a couple of month or buy now medium to high end system that will last long enough.

Athlon XP based PC have the advantage to be cheap and quite mature. nForce 2 motherboards are very well designed and very stable. But, this platform is nearly dead. We will probably not see any new XP chip. So If you buy a Barton 2500+ with DDR400 ram you will be able to overclock if to 3200+. But you will not be able to upgrade your system in the future. You will have reach the limit of the platform.

Actuel Intel P4C with Prescott ready motherboards are not bad choice too. They cost more than Athlon XP systems, but they might support some Prescott chip. Be cautious, because we haven't seen any actuel performance rating for Prescott on actual motherboard and maybe HIGH speed Prescott will not be support on the actuel Prescott ready board, because of power needed or heat produced. So, it's a double-edge sword. You pay more, you get some upgradability.

Actual Athlon 64 systems have 2 probems. They are as mature as P4C and XP platforms and AMD will limit this platform to 3700+. So, you can buy today an AMD 64 3000+ chip with a good VIA based motherboard (most reviewer's confirm that is the best A64 chipset on the market for now) at a decent price. But you will not get room for more than a 3700+ chip. On the other hand, the A64 are ready for Windows 64 bits. When it will be out, you would get a "free" performance boost. It will not double your system performance, but you might get 10% to 15% boost in general. And maybe some apps. will get a bigger boost.

Of course, all the actual MB don't support PCI-X (that will replace AGP). But I don't think it's real problem, because Video Card maker will still make AGP Video Card.

For me, if I had to upgrade today, I would get an Athlon 64 3000+ with a VIA based motherboard and DDR400 memory.

But, If I had to upgrade within a few months, I would wait to see the performance of new Intel and AMD socket/cpu. About March/April.

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?