Getting rid of System Works

Hi,

I am about to get rid of norton system works and would like to know
about some alternatives.

I have been using norton systemworks for years and also use AVG as a
secondary virus checker.

I have sourced some alternatives for most of the utilities i.e zone
alarm, may try avast (instead of AVG), regclean.

But what I will miss is the 'one button checkup' from norton that scans
your system and detects any probs before fixing them. Is there any
other free program that do this?

If anyone has any other suggestions as to what alternatives to use
(preferably free!) instead of Norton System works then please feel free
to share.

Many thanks, Jason

Hi Lil'Dave, thanks for the reply.

So what combination of products would be good to keep my computer
problem free.

Something like: AVG, Zone Alarm, Spybot, reg cleaner, mailwasher?

What do you use?

Cheers.

The package software you're speaking of tends to alert the user of both
bonafide and bogus problems. That's why I stopped using it years ago. A
better package solution to what its attempting to do doesn't exist that
works.

"jcburgwin" <jason@burgwin.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am about to get rid of norton system works and would like to know
> about some alternatives.
>
> I have been using norton systemworks for years and also use AVG as a
> secondary virus checker.
>
> I have sourced some alternatives for most of the utilities i.e zone
> alarm, may try avast (instead of AVG), regclean.
>
> But what I will miss is the 'one button checkup' from norton that scans
> your system and detects any probs before fixing them. Is there any
> other free program that do this?
>
> If anyone has any other suggestions as to what alternatives to use
> (preferably free!) instead of Norton System works then please feel free
> to share.
>
> Many thanks, Jason

Hi Mike, I have been looking at adaware and will give it a try.

What I did like was the windoctor and pc health check option that came
with systemworks. Somebody recommended systemsuite as a better
alternative, whats your take on this? or can I do these sort of
maintenance checks through the things built into XP?

Cheers, J

WOW mike thats what I call a reply. Thanks for taking the time to do
that.

I have been looking at free defragers which I will try instead of XP's
(diskkeeper).

So the 'one button checkups' systems can give a false sense of
security, once scanned and I had gotten an all clear I was happy with
that!

Anyway, many thanks for your suggestions and help.

JC

Adaware and Spyware Blaster are good too..

www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

> Hi Lil'Dave, thanks for the reply.
>
> So what combination of products would be good to keep my computer
> problem free.
>
> Something like: AVG, Zone Alarm, Spybot, reg cleaner, mailwasher?
>
> What do you use?
>
> Cheers.

Xp's Defrag works ok.. just because it doesn't close up every gap like the
old Win 9x did doesn't mean to say that it hasn't worked.. again, one can
easily become paranoiac about these things.. the best part is that if XP
defrag didn't show you what is was doing, and just declared at the end of
the process that the job was done, you would be relatively satisfied..
having said that, I use Diskeeper ver. 8, but many of my colleagues prefer
Perfect Disk.. you might want to look at both full products.. neither are
free, but they do the job..

http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/

http://www.diskeeper.com/diskeeper/diskeeper.asp?ad=go13

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

> WOW mike thats what I call a reply. Thanks for taking the time to do
> that.
>
> I have been looking at free defragers which I will try instead of XP's
> (diskkeeper).
>
> So the 'one button checkups' systems can give a false sense of
> security, once scanned and I had gotten an all clear I was happy with
> that!
>
> Anyway, many thanks for your suggestions and help.

jonah

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

On 9 Sep 2005 04:23:09 -0700, "jcburgwin" <jason@burgwin.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am about to get rid of norton system works and would like to know
>about some alternatives.
>
>I have been using norton systemworks for years and also use AVG as a
>secondary virus checker.
>
>I have sourced some alternatives for most of the utilities i.e zone
>alarm, may try avast (instead of AVG), regclean.
>
>But what I will miss is the 'one button checkup' from norton that scans
>your system and detects any probs before fixing them. Is there any
>other free program that do this?
>
>If anyone has any other suggestions as to what alternatives to use
>(preferably free!) instead of Norton System works then please feel free
>to share.
>
>Many thanks, Jason

If you really want to use Win Doctor you can run it directly off the
Symantec CD you don't need System Works installed to use the
utilities. Put the CD in and click on "Run Utilities from CD"

I still use it occasionally off the CD to clean up ailing PCs (2003
Version)

There is nothing that will "automatically fix" a PC its a bit of a
myth and reg cleaning is unecessary on XP installations, reg cleaners
can help but but they are not magic. I use Reg Mechanic 4.0 mainly PCs
I am fixing see if I can get rid of duff entries the easy way.

What I do recommend is a good uninstall utility which checks the
registry when it uninstalls an app getting rid of the clutter left
behind by bad uninstall routines.

Jonah

Don't know your PC habits, hard to say.
Here, use NO free stuff. ZA Pro, Mailwasher Pro, NAV 2004, Trend Micro
AntiSpyware.
One standalone and inexpensive Symantec product that I did like and they
killed was CleanSweep. Never ran it in the background though, just for
cleaning including the registry. That was back in the 9X/ME days.

"jcburgwin" <jason@burgwin.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi Lil'Dave, thanks for the reply.
>
> So what combination of products would be good to keep my computer
> problem free.
>
> Something like: AVG, Zone Alarm, Spybot, reg cleaner, mailwasher?
>
> What do you use?
>
> Cheers.

CleanSweep was one of the most dangerous programs ever.. could be every bit
as bad as a registry cleaner in the wrong hands..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

> Don't know your PC habits, hard to say.
> Here, use NO free stuff. ZA Pro, Mailwasher Pro, NAV 2004, Trend Micro
> AntiSpyware.
> One standalone and inexpensive Symantec product that I did like and they
> killed was CleanSweep. Never ran it in the background though, just for
> cleaning including the registry. That was back in the 9X/ME days.
>
> "jcburgwin" <jason@burgwin.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi Lil'Dave, thanks for the reply.
>>
>> So what combination of products would be good to keep my computer
>> problem free.
>>
>> Something like: AVG, Zone Alarm, Spybot, reg cleaner, mailwasher?
>>
>> What do you use?
>>
>> Cheers.

It's aptly titled - as it's use will likely result in a Clean Sweep of your
disk drive with a format and fresh OS install. SystemWorks is another
inane product name, as in the old saying "Giving somebody the Works".