Sign in with
Your question

Can I buy digital adapters compatible with Comcast

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 5, 2013 9:09:16 PM

Comcast is now charging for the once two free digital adapters. I just looked at my bill, called Comcast and they can't help me because everyone is getting charged. My question is, how can we buy our own digital adapters, or how can we get around this? I can't see paying $1.50 per adapter X 4. That's an additional $6.00 per month. I'm also being charged $7.00 per month for a modem.
February 5, 2013 10:00:09 PM

If you can still find them at RadioShack or other electronic stores, you should be able to purchase them. Last time a saw (some time ago), they were still $50 each. Understand it will still take you around 2 1/2 years to recoup the cost of purchasing.

Also note: This applies to Digital to Analog Adapters, not DVRs or Digital Set Top Boxes.

-Wolf sends

Edit: I would note that while it may be possible to purchase a Digital to Analog (DTA) Adapter for use with Comcast, it may be necessary to contact them and have your device "activated" by them.
m
l
February 6, 2013 2:27:48 PM

Thanks, wolfshaw. I've been dealing with comcast for many years and if I continue to deal with them for the next 20 years at $6 per month for box rental that would $72 dollars per year for 20 years equals $1,440.00 I'll pay out of pocket for those boxes vs a one time charge of $200 for 4 boxes at $50 per box.
m
l
February 6, 2013 5:11:04 PM

Oh trust me. I understand completely. I've been using my own cable modem for years and upgraded my HTPC with a $2/mo cablecard device as opposed to $17/mo for my digital set top box.

Just saying you should probably contact Comcast first to make sure it will work rather than plopping $200 on what turns out to be 4 paper weights.

-Wolf sends
m
l
!