TECH: Rollergames magnet

I'm going crazy here.

My rollergames magnet will not always catch the ball. (When it's
supposed to, that is.) It will MOST of the time (say, 9 times out of
10), but I don't remember this EVER failing on location. What happens is
the VUK shoots the ball over, and on that 10th time, it will slow the
ball down but NOT be strong enough to catch it.

I'm stumped! I've been half-assed chasing this problem since I've gotten
the machine, but at this point I'm annoyed that I can't figure out WTF is
wrong. Here's the list of everything I've done:

* Rebuilt connectors on under playfield transistor board. Replaced IDC
w/ trifuricon (not necessary, but had them on hand). Replaced header
pins also.

* Replaced TIP36C on under playfield board.

* Rebuilt interconnect board solenoid connectors and pins in similar
manner. Then I realized the magnet is a special solenoid and doesn't GO
through the interconnect board. Duuuhhhh... Oh well, I had GI problems
that needed fixing as well, so pulling the board wasn't an entire loss.
:)

* Rebuilt special solenoid connector and replaced header pins.

* Reground the magnet core so that it was back to its original "golf
tee" shape.

* Replaced magnet coil and core with another. (Thanks JWJ!)

* Socket/replace all 4N25 opto couplers

* Replaced driver transistor (used a tip102... sue me!)

* Replaced PRE-driver (2n4401, or 2n4403... I forget whichh one it is.
The NPN pre-drive transistor. THAT one. :) )

And now, I'm just _out_ of ideas. It'll work nine times out of ten, and
on the tenth time it'll try like heck to catch that ball, but it just
doesn't have the _gusto_ to grab it and hold it. And what's weird is
that on the other 9 times (and on the 11th try), the ball sticks to that
magnet like GLUE!

Any ideas? Things to check? Hell, at this point, are there any links in
the chain that I _haven't_ replaced!?? :)

Thanks, as always!

I'd suspect a weak trace on the board. Jumper the transistor legs to the
other spots they go to and see if the problem clears up. LTG :)

"TheKorn" <TheKorn@TheKorn.Net> wrote in message
> I'm going crazy here.
>
> My rollergames magnet will not always catch the ball. (When it's
> supposed to, that is.) It will MOST of the time (say, 9 times out of
> 10), but I don't remember this EVER failing on location. What happens is
> the VUK shoots the ball over, and on that 10th time, it will slow the
> ball down but NOT be strong enough to catch it.
>

> I'm stumped! I've been half-assed chasing this problem since I've gotten
> the machine, but at this point I'm annoyed that I can't figure out WTF is
> wrong. Here's the list of everything I've done:
>

> * Rebuilt connectors on under playfield transistor board. Replaced IDC
> w/ trifuricon (not necessary, but had them on hand). Replaced header
> pins also.
>
> * Replaced TIP36C on under playfield board.
>
> * Rebuilt interconnect board solenoid connectors and pins in similar
> manner. Then I realized the magnet is a special solenoid and doesn't GO
> through the interconnect board. Duuuhhhh... Oh well, I had GI problems
> that needed fixing as well, so pulling the board wasn't an entire loss.
> :)
>
> * Rebuilt special solenoid connector and replaced header pins.
>
> * Reground the magnet core so that it was back to its original "golf
> tee" shape.
>
> * Replaced magnet coil and core with another. (Thanks JWJ!)
>
> * Socket/replace all 4N25 opto couplers
>
> * Replaced driver transistor (used a tip102... sue me!)
>
> * Replaced PRE-driver (2n4401, or 2n4403... I forget whichh one it is.
> The NPN pre-drive transistor. THAT one. :) )
>

> And now, I'm just _out_ of ideas. It'll work nine times out of ten, and
> on the tenth time it'll try like heck to catch that ball, but it just
> doesn't have the _gusto_ to grab it and hold it. And what's weird is
> that on the other 9 times (and on the 11th try), the ball sticks to that
> magnet like GLUE!
>
> Any ideas? Things to check? Hell, at this point, are there any links in
> the chain that I _haven't_ replaced!?? :)
>
> Thanks, as always!

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001

On the time when it doesn't catch, is the magnet actuating?

Is always the same actuation that is bad? In other words, does it always do
9 good ones and then 1 bad one followed by 9 more good ones and a bad one,
etc?

Is the ball in contact with the playfield when it does not catch?

Otto

CARGPB11

"TheKorn" <TheKorn@TheKorn.Net> wrote in message
> I'm going crazy here.
>
> My rollergames magnet will not always catch the ball. (When it's
> supposed to, that is.) It will MOST of the time (say, 9 times out of
> 10), but I don't remember this EVER failing on location. What happens is
> the VUK shoots the ball over, and on that 10th time, it will slow the
> ball down but NOT be strong enough to catch it.

Looking forward to hear what happened. My magnet tries every time but
rarely ever catches it.

my dads does the same thing. it's just a weaker magnet and if the ball
rolls up the lane after dropping on the playfield. It gets to much
momentum going for the magnet to catch it. We bent the ramp outhole
tab more straight. so the ball wouldn't roll up hill. Now the magnet
catches every time. I don't think these are as strong as TZ and TOM
magnets.

I disagree, this magnet can be plenty strong. My current game has trouble
shooting the ball off the magnet core with a good strong upper flipper at
times

I'm stumped, but would be interested in hearing what you find :)

--
http://www.myhomegameroom.com

TheKorn wrote:
> So that left... the ground.

It's always the ground. :)

"Nwojedi" <nwojedi@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1123367864.785321.101640
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> my dads does the same thing. it's just a weaker magnet and if the ball
> rolls up the lane after dropping on the playfield. It gets to much
> momentum going for the magnet to catch it. We bent the ramp outhole
> tab more straight. so the ball wouldn't roll up hill. Now the magnet
> catches every time. I don't think these are as strong as TZ and TOM
> magnets.

That's definitely NOT it. The magnet (when it's 100%) is crazy strong.
It's just that 10th (or so) time when it's just a limp noodle that's
driving me crazy!

"Otto" <ottondebremove&%$*@bellsouth.net> wrote in

> On the time when it doesn't catch, is the magnet actuating?

Yes. When it fails, the magnet slows down the ball like crazy, but just
doesn't have the oomph to get it all the way _stopped_.

> Is always the same actuation that is bad? In other words, does it
> always do 9 good ones and then 1 bad one followed by 9 more good ones
> and a bad one, etc?

No; it's more-or-less random. It'll work for a bunch of times, I'll think
I'll finally have it fixed, then a game or two later the damn thing will
miss a ball again.

I've taken to playtesting the game with the glass off, and waiting it out
until sudden death happens; then I can test the magnet a lot more reliably.

> Is the ball in contact with the playfield when it does not catch?

Yes.

"Lloyd Olson" <ltg@ssbilliards.com> wrote in

> I'd suspect a weak trace on the board. Jumper the transistor legs to
> the other spots they go to and see if the problem clears up. LTG :)

Hmmm, an angle I hadn't thought of! I'll dig in and see what I get! :)