  • Desktops
  • Desktop Icons
  • Windows XP
September 10, 2005 2:00:18 AM

Installed XP Pro a few days ago. I'm pretty sure the icons on the
desktop didn't have their names _underlined_. Suddenly, they are
underlined when I logged on today.

Is there a reg hack I can use to remove the underlines? They make the
desktop look very cluttered.

Tried googling, but only got hits on how to underline in Word.

Thanks,
Nick

More about : remove desktop icons underline

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 2:00:19 AM

Follow these steps:

1. Open Start, Run, type (without quotes) 'control folders' and click OK.
2. Select the General tab and click on 'Double-click to open an item (single-click to select)'.
3. Click OK and see if the underlined has gone.

--
Greetings,
Daniel Martín

"Nick" <spambucketREMOVE_THIS@iinet.net.au> wrote in message news:Xns96CCDFAFCE30drizzeniinetnetau@192.168.1.2...
> Installed XP Pro a few days ago. I'm pretty sure the icons on the
> desktop didn't have their names _underlined_. Suddenly, they are
> underlined when I logged on today.
>
> Is there a reg hack I can use to remove the underlines? They make the
> desktop look very cluttered.
>
> Tried googling, but only got hits on how to underline in Word.
>
> Thanks,
> Nick
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 2:00:19 AM

Open Folder Options in your Control Panel and
under the General tab, place a dot next to
"Underline icon titles only when I point at them"
and click Apply.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Nick" wrote:

| Installed XP Pro a few days ago. I'm pretty sure the icons on the
| desktop didn't have their names _underlined_. Suddenly, they are
| underlined when I logged on today.
|
| Is there a reg hack I can use to remove the underlines? They make the
| desktop look very cluttered.
|
| Tried googling, but only got hits on how to underline in Word.
|
| Thanks,
| Nick
September 10, 2005 2:56:56 AM

No reg hack needed.
Control Panel-Folder Options-General tab.
Turn off single click or play with the underline options.

Try googling with a search like this:
http://groups.google.com/groups?ie=UTF-8&q=underline+de...

....Alan
http://dts-l.org/index.html

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 22:00:18 +1000, Nick
<spambucketREMOVE_THIS@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Installed XP Pro a few days ago. I'm pretty sure the icons on the
>desktop didn't have their names _underlined_. Suddenly, they are
>underlined when I logged on today.
>
>Is there a reg hack I can use to remove the underlines? They make the
>desktop look very cluttered.
>
>Tried googling, but only got hits on how to underline in Word.
>
>Thanks,
>Nick
September 10, 2005 4:33:35 AM

Daniel Martín <mardani29@yahoo.es> wrote in

> Follow these steps:
>
> 1. Open Start, Run, type (without quotes) 'control folders' and click
> OK. 2. Select the General tab and click on 'Double-click to open an
> item (single-click to select)'. 3. Click OK and see if the underlined
> has gone.

Thanks everyone, that did it.

Nick
September 10, 2005 6:49:55 AM

Hi Alan,

Great to see your name. Have missed so many of yall. Now that all is
getting better here in Louisiana any thoughts of joining us in Vegas? :o )

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

In memory of those lost during Katrina &
Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.

"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
> No reg hack needed.
> Control Panel-Folder Options-General tab.
> Turn off single click or play with the underline options.
>
> Try googling with a search like this:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?ie=UTF-8&q=underline+de...
>
> ...Alan
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>

> On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 22:00:18 +1000, Nick
> <spambucketREMOVE_THIS@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
>> Installed XP Pro a few days ago. I'm pretty sure the icons on the
>>desktop didn't have their names _underlined_. Suddenly, they are
>>underlined when I logged on today.
>>
>>Is there a reg hack I can use to remove the underlines? They make the
>>desktop look very cluttered.
>>
>>Tried googling, but only got hits on how to underline in Word.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Nick
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 11:26:33 PM

Missed you too.
Blow in my ear and I will follow you anywhere <g>

....A

!