Closed

Remove Desktop Icons Underline

Installed XP Pro a few days ago. I'm pretty sure the icons on the
desktop didn't have their names _underlined_. Suddenly, they are
underlined when I logged on today.

Is there a reg hack I can use to remove the underlines? They make the
desktop look very cluttered.

Tried googling, but only got hits on how to underline in Word.

Thanks,
Nick
6 answers Last reply
More about remove desktop icons underline

    Follow these steps:

    1. Open Start, Run, type (without quotes) 'control folders' and click OK.
    2. Select the General tab and click on 'Double-click to open an item (single-click to select)'.
    3. Click OK and see if the underlined has gone.

    --
    Greetings,
    Daniel Martín

    "Nick" <spambucketREMOVE_THIS@iinet.net.au> wrote in message news:Xns96CCDFAFCE30drizzeniinetnetau@192.168.1.2...
    > Installed XP Pro a few days ago. I'm pretty sure the icons on the
    > desktop didn't have their names _underlined_. Suddenly, they are
    > underlined when I logged on today.
    >
    > Is there a reg hack I can use to remove the underlines? They make the
    > desktop look very cluttered.
    >
    > Tried googling, but only got hits on how to underline in Word.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Nick

    Open Folder Options in your Control Panel and
    under the General tab, place a dot next to
    "Underline icon titles only when I point at them"
    and click Apply.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Nick" wrote:

    | Installed XP Pro a few days ago. I'm pretty sure the icons on the
    | desktop didn't have their names _underlined_. Suddenly, they are
    | underlined when I logged on today.
    |
    | Is there a reg hack I can use to remove the underlines? They make the
    | desktop look very cluttered.
    |
    | Tried googling, but only got hits on how to underline in Word.
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Nick

    No reg hack needed.
    Control Panel-Folder Options-General tab.
    Turn off single click or play with the underline options.

    Try googling with a search like this:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?ie=UTF-8&q=underline+desktop+windowsxp

    ....Alan
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 22:00:18 +1000, Nick

    Daniel Martín <mardani29@yahoo.es> wrote in

    > Follow these steps:
    >
    > 1. Open Start, Run, type (without quotes) 'control folders' and click
    > OK. 2. Select the General tab and click on 'Double-click to open an
    > item (single-click to select)'. 3. Click OK and see if the underlined
    > has gone.

    Thanks everyone, that did it.

    Nick

    Hi Alan,

    Great to see your name. Have missed so many of yall. Now that all is
    getting better here in Louisiana any thoughts of joining us in Vegas? :o)

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    In memory of those lost during Katrina &
    Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.

    "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > No reg hack needed.
    > Control Panel-Folder Options-General tab.
    > Turn off single click or play with the underline options.
    >
    > Try googling with a search like this:
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?ie=UTF-8&q=underline+desktop+windowsxp
    >
    > ...Alan
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >

    > On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 22:00:18 +1000, Nick
    > <spambucketREMOVE_THIS@iinet.net.au> wrote:
    >
    >> Installed XP Pro a few days ago. I'm pretty sure the icons on the
    >>desktop didn't have their names _underlined_. Suddenly, they are
    >>underlined when I logged on today.
    >>
    >>Is there a reg hack I can use to remove the underlines? They make the
    >>desktop look very cluttered.
    >>
    >>Tried googling, but only got hits on how to underline in Word.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Nick

    Missed you too.
    Blow in my ear and I will follow you anywhere <g>

    ....A

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 02:49:55 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi Alan,
    >
    >Great to see your name. Have missed so many of yall. Now that all is
    >getting better here in Louisiana any thoughts of joining us in Vegas? :o)

    ....Alan
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

Desktops Desktop Icons Windows XP