Sign in with
Your question

Win7 install doesn't see HDD

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
November 22, 2012 6:02:04 AM

Hi Tom's Hardware forum members. This is my first post. I am nowhere near as learned as most of you about computers, but I hope I am smart enough to figure out the problem with your help.

I am trying to resurrect my son's stock Gateway CX2618 Convertible Notebook.
http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Q106/Viper/5945nv.s...

Processor options Intel® Centrino™ Mobile Tech. with Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (2 MB L2 Cache | 1.73 GHz | 533 MHz FSB)
LCD display panel 14.0-inch Widescreen WXGA TFT with Digitizer and Executive Stylus
Chipset Intel 915GM
Memory 1024 MB DDR2 (2 × 512 MB) Dual Channel Memory
Video Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 (GMA900)
Hard Drive 80 GB HDD (5400 RPM) SATA
Optical Drive DVD +/- RW Multi-Format Double Layer
Network 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port) Intel® PRO/Wireless LAN 802.11g SecureEasySetup™
Interfaces 3 - USB 2.0 Ports, 1 - VGA External Connector, 1 - IEEE 1394 port, 1 - RJ11 (Modem), 1 - RJ45 (Ethernet LAN)
PCMCIA 1 - Type I or Type II; Card Bus

It came with WinXP. Recently it could not connect to the WiFi. It would connect when tethered to my son's droid, but I wanted to fix it.
I did all the basic computer fixes that I know of:
updated drivers
checked with anti-malware and anti-virus programs
defragged the HDD
error checked and auto-fixed the HDD

When I had finished it would not boot into WinXP because of an MBR error. All his original discs that came with the laptop are now gone so I tried to reinstall WinXP. This failed because I could not figure out how to install the SATA drivers, even with the benefit of nLite which adds drivers to an ISO image. I burned about 10 different DVD's while selecting different drivers before I gave up.

My friend is more knowledgeable about computers and he suggested that I "install Win7 because it has all the drivers in it." :cry:  I now know that is not true.

I have tired to install Win7 a number of times now with no success. At first it would hang at the "Starting Windows" screen, but that appears to only be an occasional problem that I can work around. The main issue is that Win7 doesn't see a HDD, so I can't install it.

I have tried the following files:

AHCI_Intel_6.2.0.2002_Vistax86x64 which is the SATA AHCI Driver found here: http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?p...

When "Hide drivers that are not compatible with the hardware on this computer." was checked. The following driver was revealed:

-Intel(R) 82801FBM SATA AHCI Controller <=== CAUSES BSOD

When "Hide drivers that are not compatible with the hardware on this computer." was UN-checked. The following driver was revealed:

-Intel(R) 613xESB/632xESB SATA AHCI Controller <=== CAUSES BSOD
-Intel(R) 613xESB/632xESB SATA RAID Controller <===untried
-Intel(R) 82801FBM SATA AHCI Controller <=== CAUSES BSOD
-Intel(R) 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller <===untried
-Intel(R) 82801FR SATA RAID Controller <===untried
-Intel(R) 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller <===untried
-Intel(R) 82801GHM SATA RAID Controller <===untried
-Intel(R) 82801GR/GH SATA AHCI Controller <===untried
-Intel(R) 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller <===untried
-Intel(R) 82801HR/HH/HO SATA AHCI Controller <===untried
-Intel(R) 82801HR/HH/HO SATA RAID Controller <===untried

----------

SATA_Intel_5.0.0.1032_XPx86x64 which is the SATA Driver found somewhere on Gateway's site.

No drivers were found when "Hide drivers that are not compatible with the hardware on this computer." was checked.

When "Hide drivers that are not compatible with the hardware on this computer." was UN-checked, the following drivers were revealed:

-GatewayHWID <=== "No new device was found. Make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media."

----------

D00365-002-001.exe which is the Gateway Notebook Intel SATA Support Driver Version: 5.0.0.1032 found here:
http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?...

No drivers were found whether "Hide drivers that are not compatible with the hardware on this computer." was checked or UN-checked.

----------

f6flpy-x86 which contain drivers from Intel found here:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldI...

No drivers were found when "Hide drivers that are not compatible with the hardware on this computer." was checked.

When "Hide drivers that are not compatible with the hardware on this computer." was UN-checked, the following drivers were revealed:

AHCI Controllers:
- Intel(R) 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller <=== DOES NOTHING
- Intel(R) 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller <=== DOES NOTHING
- Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series SATA AHCI Controller <=== DOES NOTHING
- Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller <=== DOES NOTHING
- Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller <=== DOES NOTHING
- Intel(R) C600 Series Chipset SATA AHCI Controller <=== DOES NOTHING
- Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller <=== DOES NOTHING
- Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller <=== DOES NOTHING
- Intel(R) ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller <=== DOES NOTHING
- Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller <=== DOES NOTHING
- Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller <=== DOES NOTHING
- Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller <=== DOES NOTHING
- Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller <=== DOES NOTHING

----------

Other than trying the rest of the files in AHCI_Intel_6.2.0.2002_Vistax86x64, I have no idea what to do. Is there a way to find and install the proper driver so that Win7 sees the HDD?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Soren-xyz

More about : win7 install hdd

Related resources
November 22, 2012 7:49:20 PM

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

Emerald,
No, I did not try either. I had no idea there were more drivers that needed to be installed.
Would you, please, tell me the correct one in each file to install?

Thanks,
Soren

alexoiu,
Thanks for the suggestion. I will start there first. I had no idea that such a thing existed.
I dl'ed and burned Hiren's BootCD. There are so many sites out there on Hiren's BootCD. I have read many of them and watched numerous videos, but I have not found one with simple step-by-step instructions on how to use one of the tools on Hiren's BootCD to fix the MBR. Would you, please, give me a link?

Thanks,
Soren
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 22, 2012 8:12:36 PM

Use the MBRFix tool
The command is :> MbrFix /drive 0 fixmbr /yes
m
l
November 22, 2012 8:52:04 PM

I am not sure where to find MBRFix tool.

I looked in:
Dos Programs

and then:
MBR (Master Boot Record) Tools

and found:
MBR Work
MBR Tool
Diskman
Bootfix Utility
MBR Save / Restore
Boot Partition
MBRWizard
Smart Boot Manager Installer
Partition Table Editor
MBR Utility
XOSL Boot Manager
m
l
November 22, 2012 10:31:04 PM

I see that MbrFix 1.3, Backup, restore and fix the boot code in the MBR., is on Hiren's BootCD 15.2. Would anyone, please, tell me how and where to find MbrFix 1.3 or how to fix the MBR with any of the tool that I can find?
m
l
!