Distinguished
Dec 28, 2003
Hi
I just finished a major upgrade on my system:
MSI 865pe Neo2 LS mobo
P4 2.6
512 MB DDRAM
160 GB WD Hard Drive.

Problem 1: using the WMinfo (system info software that came with the mobo) the sysyem detects 2 processors (I am shure I installed only one!!!)

Problem 2: the system uses only 130 GB of Hard Drive. It is still a lot for my usage, but some programs get confused and cannot install)

Any suggerstions?

Thanks in advance

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
1) Newer P4s have a feature called Hyperthreading, which enables multithreaded processing, which makes Windows think you have two processors...it's a good thing, let it be.

2) Do you have XP with SP1 and/or have you updated your BIOS (don't think you should need it, but it's worth a try). Should get you up to 147GBish (forget exact number) of storage.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

Cloaked

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2003
it will not show up as the full 160GBs though, because of the discrepancies in the base 10 system the hdd manufacturers use (to make there seem more space) and the base 2 system computers use. It will be about 7 % smaller than advertised.

mario

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2003
Thanks Vapor,
the problem with the dual processor is that when I try to istall the VPN software to connect to my computer at work I get an error which says that VPN does not work with dual processor settings. Does it make sense?
I also noticed that some programs, like the Zone alarm firewall, do not work anymore. They start and then they disappear. So it happens with the DOS version of frisk antivirus software (f-Prot).
My OS is Windows 2000, and I formatted my HD with FNTS system, as opposed to FAT 32. I do not know if this is affecting the whole system.

Does anybody have any idea?

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
If a program you need says it's incompatible with it, get rid of it...it's not necessary, especially when it is a hindrance (not even sure if it's fully compatible with Win2k anyway).

In your BIOS there should be an option to disable Hyperthreading. Also, to get the extra 17-18GB of storage, install the latest service pack for 2000 and the latest BIOS update.

Cloaked

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2003
i would make sure you dont have a virus, as shutting down common antivirus and firewall programs is usually the first thing they do.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
It (disk space) will be about 7 % smaller than advertised.
Isn't that the biggest scam ever? Anything related to computers considers a KB 2^10 bytes and so on, I'd think you Americans with your "Consumer Reports" and consumer rebellions would have been all over this...

Got a nice overclocked overvolted system to keep you warm at night? That's great. Guess I'll have to settle for a woman...

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I think some old people are actually suing the companies over this...or they were, haven't heard about it in awhile. Maybe they settled out of court.

mario

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2003
are you shure about that?
Beside the hard drive and some minor sofware this system is running very well with hyperthreading enabled! I really think that what you are sayng is not true.

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
No sir he is right. Windows XP supports HT, older os's not always but can have some hangup's using it. I do know a couple of people using HT on 2000 without any problems.
But.. i've only used it with XP as well.

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081</A>
Figured i'd do it too..reality my ass.

mario

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2003
well, on my 2000 it works really well. May be 98 or 95 have problems...anyways.. Cloaked is right. I tried several free anti-viruses and none could work up to when I used AntiVir.
This guy found several infections (most were the worm/deborm.R.2)and removed them. Now I can finally reuse the firewall. This is the first infection I ever got since many years and I still do not understand how I got it.
Is it possible I got it in those few hours I connected to the net (DSL) without the firewall?.