install windows xp PLEASE!

hi everyone.

i recently built myself a computer, and am trying to install windows xp on it.

heres what happens:

i start the computer.

i put the cd in.

it says "press any key to boot from cd"

i press a key.

it loads up, and i go through a few steps.

then it says i have to put a recent version of windows cd in.

so i find this cd laying around that says "windows 95 companion"

i put it in and press enter.

i go through a few steps, and then i quick format the drive as an NTFS file
system.

then, it says "copying files. This may take a few munites to complete."
heres where the trouble comes in.

during the file copy process, i get multiple errors such as "cannot copy
ks.sys press enter to try again and....press escape to skip the file.

i press enter. happens again. i press escape, and it continues.

this happens multiple times, and when i get into the real setup, i get an
error somthing like this:

"the setup log should contain more information. this is a fatal error"

and windows xp never gets on there.
help PLEASE! i dont want my copy of xp to go down the drain...

Examine the Windows XP CD and make sure it is absolutely "pristine clean"
with no scratches, fingerprints or smudges. Use a mild non-ammonia based
household cleaning solution and a soft cloth to clean it.

How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
;326246]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"TheBestKeptOne" wrote:

| hi everyone.
|
| i recently built myself a computer, and am trying to install windows xp on it.
|
| heres what happens:
|
| i start the computer.
|
| i put the cd in.
|
| it says "press any key to boot from cd"
|
| i press a key.
|
| it loads up, and i go through a few steps.
|
| then it says i have to put a recent version of windows cd in.
|
| so i find this cd laying around that says "windows 95 companion"
|
| i put it in and press enter.
|
| i go through a few steps, and then i quick format the drive as an NTFS file
| system.
|
| then, it says "copying files. This may take a few munites to complete."
| heres where the trouble comes in.
|
| during the file copy process, i get multiple errors such as "cannot copy
| ks.sys press enter to try again and....press escape to skip the file.
|
| i press enter. happens again. i press escape, and it continues.
|
| this happens multiple times, and when i get into the real setup, i get an
| error somthing like this:
|
| "the setup log should contain more information. this is a fatal error"
|
| and windows xp never gets on there.
| help PLEASE! i dont want my copy of xp to go down the drain...

Assuming that you have a Genuine Windows XP CD as sold by
Microsoft (either retail or OEM) or an oem as distributed by
a company such as Dell...

Put the XP CD in the drive, step one
reboot the computer, step two
press ENTER, step three
read the on screen prompts to partition, format and install
XP

If the system does not try to boot from the CD as the first
step, open the BIOS and set the CD to be the first boot
device.

some support

"TheBestKeptOne" <TheBestKeptOne@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message
| hi everyone.
|
| i recently built myself a computer, and am trying to
install windows xp on it.

| heres what happens:
|
| i start the computer.
|
| i put the cd in.
|
| it says "press any key to boot from cd"
|
| i press a key.
|
| it loads up, and i go through a few steps.
|
| then it says i have to put a recent version of windows cd
in.

| so i find this cd laying around that says "windows 95
companion"

| i put it in and press enter.
|
| i go through a few steps, and then i quick format the
drive as an NTFS file
| system.
|
| then, it says "copying files. This may take a few munites
to complete."
| heres where the trouble comes in.
|
| during the file copy process, i get multiple errors such
as "cannot copy
| ks.sys press enter to try again and....press escape to
skip the file.

| i press enter. happens again. i press escape, and it
continues.

| this happens multiple times, and when i get into the real
setup, i get an
| error somthing like this:
|
| "the setup log should contain more information. this is a
fatal error"

| and windows xp never gets on there.
| help PLEASE! i dont want my copy of xp to go down the
drain...

"Windows 95 companion" doesn't sound like qualifying operating system to
me for an Upgrade. Suggest you buy a legit license and try again.

TheBestKeptOne wrote:

> hi everyone.
>
> i recently built myself a computer, and am trying to install windows xp on it.
>
> heres what happens:
>
> i start the computer.
>
> i put the cd in.
>
> it says "press any key to boot from cd"
>
> i press a key.
>
> it loads up, and i go through a few steps.
>
> then it says i have to put a recent version of windows cd in.
>
> so i find this cd laying around that says "windows 95 companion"
>
> i put it in and press enter.
>
> i go through a few steps, and then i quick format the drive as an NTFS file
> system.
>
> then, it says "copying files. This may take a few munites to complete."
> heres where the trouble comes in.
>
> during the file copy process, i get multiple errors such as "cannot copy
> ks.sys press enter to try again and....press escape to skip the file.
>
> i press enter. happens again. i press escape, and it continues.
>
> this happens multiple times, and when i get into the real setup, i get an
> error somthing like this:
>
> "the setup log should contain more information. this is a fatal error"
>
> and windows xp never gets on there.
> help PLEASE! i dont want my copy of xp to go down the drain...

Malke

Bob I wrote:

> "Windows 95 companion" doesn't sound like qualifying operating system
> to me for an Upgrade. Suggest you buy a legit license and try again.

You're absolutely right, Bob. The Windows 95 Companion is not an
operating system disk; it is a glorified How To.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

thank you, but none of your posts helped.

the cd is in good shape. i have tried multiple cd drives, and even multiple
hard drives.

ill try another cd...but lets say if that didnt work...what would be the
problem?

CD

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

And you haven't answered any of their questions either.

Do you have a full blown copy of XP, or is it an upgrade CD? Since you are
having to put in the Win 95 Companion CD for it to continue, then it sounds
like you have an upgrade disk. However, the upgrade will probably not work
b/c Win 95 Companion is not an OS.

"TheBestKeptOne" wrote:

> thank you, but none of your posts helped.
>
> the cd is in good shape. i have tried multiple cd drives, and even multiple
> hard drives.
>
> ill try another cd...but lets say if that didnt work...what would be the
> problem?

keith

Is the Cd a Full Retail Version or Upgrade?

"TheBestKeptOne" <TheBestKeptOne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi everyone.
>
> i recently built myself a computer, and am trying to install windows xp on
> it.
>
> heres what happens:
>
> i start the computer.
>
> i put the cd in.
>
> it says "press any key to boot from cd"
>
> i press a key.
>
> it loads up, and i go through a few steps.
>
> then it says i have to put a recent version of windows cd in.
>
> so i find this cd laying around that says "windows 95 companion"
>
> i put it in and press enter.
>
> i go through a few steps, and then i quick format the drive as an NTFS
> file
> system.
>
> then, it says "copying files. This may take a few munites to complete."
> heres where the trouble comes in.
>
> during the file copy process, i get multiple errors such as "cannot copy
> ks.sys press enter to try again and....press escape to skip the file.
>
> i press enter. happens again. i press escape, and it continues.
>
> this happens multiple times, and when i get into the real setup, i get an
> error somthing like this:
>
> "the setup log should contain more information. this is a fatal error"
>
> and windows xp never gets on there.
> help PLEASE! i dont want my copy of xp to go down the drain...

Is it a genuine XP CD? Clean the disk surface carefully or use another CD/DVD/CD-R/DVD-R drive to install XP from.

--
Greetings,
Daniel Martín

=?Utf-8?B?VGhlQmVzdEtlcHRPbmU=?= wrote:

> during the file copy process, i get multiple errors such as "cannot copy
> ks.sys press enter to try again and....press escape to skip the file.

Try an MS CD if you are currently using a homemade copy of an XP cd. Or,
your cd drive may have gone bad. Or, ram may be failing, do a ram test
ie can be done from a floppy drive.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

TheBestKeptOne wrote:
> hi everyone.

Snipped....

> during the file copy process, i get multiple errors such as "cannot copy
> ks.sys press enter to try again and....press escape to skip the file.
>
> i press enter. happens again. i press escape, and it continues.
>
> this happens multiple times, and when i get into the real setup, i get an
> error somthing like this:

Problems copying files or corrupted files during installation are
most often caused by defective or sub-standard hardware; in order of
likelihood, either RAM, the hard drive, or the motherboard. On very
rare occasions the installation CD is the problem.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm