Sign in with
Your question

My laptop won't shut off. It's been installing updates for 14 hours

Last response: in Windows 7
November 22, 2012 6:07:15 AM

Hello,

My HP laptop has been in shutdown mode all day. This morning I downloaded updates for my HP laptop, and I assume that while I was downloading HP updates, it also downloaded Windows 7 updates. After MY downloads finished I initiated shut down, but it had 18 updates to install. It has been stuck on update # 7 since 10 AM this morning.

I just bought this laptop this fall. I hadn't used it for almost a month, and meant to take it with me to school today, but I had to leave it at home while it shut down. Now I'm wondering if I should interrupt the process since it's been 14 hours since it started this and it still says installing update 7.

I'm worried that if I shut it off manually it will corrupt the bios.
What should I do?
November 22, 2012 6:30:14 AM

If it wasn't a bios update then it won't corrupt the bios. It might screw with your windows installation, but shouldn't you be able to restore to a previous working state using the windows built-in recovery option: "restore your windows to an earlier time"
m
l
November 22, 2012 7:27:33 PM

cbag said:
If it wasn't a bios update then it won't corrupt the bios. It might screw with your windows installation, but shouldn't you be able to restore to a previous working state using the windows built-in recovery option: "restore your windows to an earlier time"

HELP! I shut it off by the power button earlier this morning, but now it won't come back on. Nothing happens. I can hear the sound of something running but nothing comes on the screen now. Absolutely nothing, not even boot up info.
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
November 23, 2012 7:55:00 PM

remove the battery if you can, and try a cold boot on AC power and see if you get into the BIOS screen
m
l
November 24, 2012 7:33:35 AM

johnbl said:
remove the battery if you can, and try a cold boot on AC power and see if you get into the BIOS screen

I tried your suggestion and still get nothing. I went to HP Tech Support Online Chat this morning and they said I need to send it to them. They are sending a shipping box, etc. with a fed-ex label. At least it's under warranty. This really sux because I need to go out of town next week, and I needed my laptop while I'm away. I have research papers due the following week for grad school, but my father's funeral is next weekend. I'll be away from my computer for three days. This sux.

Thanks for trying to help.
m
l
May 16, 2013 5:18:12 AM

My computer took about 18 hours to install 12 updates. It got stuck on 6 of 12 for well over 12 hours. (I went to bed and don't know exactly how long that one took.) Honestly, if it's more than one or two updates, it's hard to know what all they are. One could be a huge service pack. Unless it goes on for over 24 hours, I would just let it run.
m
l
September 19, 2013 6:43:30 AM

Is there any way to tell a Window's machine to only install 5 updates at a time? I seem to have the same problem where I am shutting my computer down to hop on my bike and head home, but at the last second the screen prompts "Please do not power off or unplug your machine. Installing update 8 of 22" This problem seems to happen at least once a month and is quite a hassle, and interrupts my daily routine. There has to be a way to edit this??!!! Does anyone have any suggestions?
m
l
!