Restrictions and the Administrators Group

RJ

Is there documentation somewhere that will tell you what you
cannot do on a WinXP Pro PC if you don't have
Administrative access / logon (a member of the
local Administrators group)?

I know there are numerous things you cannot do, but I would
really like to see a list of the restrictions.

Thanks.

Malke

RJ wrote:

> Is there documentation somewhere that will tell you what you
> cannot do on a WinXP Pro PC if you don't have
> Administrative access / logon (a member of the
> local Administrators group)?
>
> I know there are numerous things you cannot do, but I would
> really like to see a list of the restrictions.
>
> Thanks.

See if this MS article (TinyURL'd) helps:

http://tinyurl.com/6mnot

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

RJ

Thanks... I have seen this. It is typical of the rather vague MS documentation,
and doesn't really tell you what exactly you won't be able to do
without Administrative access.

For example:

1. Are there applications you can't install?
2. Can you create VPN connections?
3. Can you write / delete / modify files in any directory?
4. Can you run regedit?
5. Can you change the system time?
6. Can you copy / delete profiles?
7. Can you access the Administrative tools?
8. Can you modify local group policies?

There are many things you cannot do without Admin access.
I was hoping there was a comprehensive list somewhere.

"Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message news:OMs2XdUtFHA.1284@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> RJ wrote:
>
>> Is there documentation somewhere that will tell you what you
>> cannot do on a WinXP Pro PC if you don't have
>> Administrative access / logon (a member of the
>> local Administrators group)?
>>
>> I know there are numerous things you cannot do, but I would
>> really like to see a list of the restrictions.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> See if this MS article (TinyURL'd) helps:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6mnot
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

RJ wrote:

> Thanks... I have seen this. It is typical of the rather vague MS
> documentation, and doesn't really tell you what exactly you won't be
> able to do without Administrative access.
>
> For example:
>
> 1. Are there applications you can't install?
> 2. Can you create VPN connections?
> 3. Can you write / delete / modify files in any directory?
> 4. Can you run regedit?
> 5. Can you change the system time?
> 6. Can you copy / delete profiles?
> 7. Can you access the Administrative tools?
> 8. Can you modify local group policies?
>
> There are many things you cannot do without Admin access.
> I was hoping there was a comprehensive list somewhere.

I don't know if there is or not. Try looking on TechNet.

Malke
--

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 17:05:35 -0700, Malke <invalid@not-real.com>
wrote:

>RJ wrote:
>
>> Thanks... I have seen this. It is typical of the rather vague MS
>> documentation, and doesn't really tell you what exactly you won't be
>> able to do without Administrative access.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> 1. Are there applications you can't install?
>> 2. Can you create VPN connections?
>> 3. Can you write / delete / modify files in any directory?
>> 4. Can you run regedit?
>> 5. Can you change the system time?
>> 6. Can you copy / delete profiles?
>> 7. Can you access the Administrative tools?
>> 8. Can you modify local group policies?
>>
>> There are many things you cannot do without Admin access.
>> I was hoping there was a comprehensive list somewhere.
>>
>I don't know if there is or not. Try looking on TechNet.
>
>Malke

There are some good starter articles in the XP help and support.

Just use "default group settings" for the search string and you will
come up with several articles about the different group settings and
what they can and can not do.