dcom event id 10020

i'm getting this error on some high priority machines that are having some
issues and they are occuring about 10 every 30 minutes, anyone know how to
fix these issues? i've tried setting permissions again, but still nogo.

*The machine wide Default Launch and Activation security descriptor is
invalid. It contains Access Control Entries with permissions that are
invalid. The requested action was therefore not performed. This security
permission can be corrected using the Component Services administrative tool.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.*
2 answers Last reply
More about dcom event 10020

    Can you post a copy of the error message from Event Viewer?

    You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative Tools,
    Event Viewer.
    When researching the meaning of the error, information regarding Event
    ID, Source
    and Description are important.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

    A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
    click on the
    error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a button
    resembling two
    pages. Double click the button and close Event Viewer. Now start your
    message
    (email) and do a paste into the body of the message. This will paste the
    info from the
    Event Viewer Error Report complete with links into the message. Make
    sure this is
    the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "rumplestilt" <rumplestilt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i'm getting this error on some high priority machines that are having
    > some
    > issues and they are occuring about 10 every 30 minutes, anyone know
    > how to
    > fix these issues? i've tried setting permissions again, but still
    > nogo.
    >
    > *The machine wide Default Launch and Activation security descriptor is
    > invalid. It contains Access Control Entries with permissions that are
    > invalid. The requested action was therefore not performed. This
    > security
    > permission can be corrected using the Component Services
    > administrative tool.

    > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.*

    if you read at the bottom of my post, what's in * * is the error message from
    event views, sorry didn't make that very clear.

    anyway, i think i have this resolved finally...one dcom error was coming
    from incorrect permissions in the component services -> computers -> right
    click on "my computer" under the computers folder, properties, then go to the
    com security tab, under both access permissions and launch and activiation
    permissions click on the edit default, then make sure the administrator local
    group is added with full rights.

    2nd dcom error i was seeing was due to mcafee framework having the correct
    permissions, but for some reason having the incorrect sids on the users...to
    fix this: component services -> computers -> dcom config -> right click on
    framework service (granted you have mcafee installed) then properties, go to
    security tab, under the launch and activation permissions, check customize
    then edit, if anything is inside the users, remove them, then add local
    administrators, interactive, system and give them all full rights. this has
    gotten me squared away finally.

Permissions Windows XP