Windows expects uninterrupted Internet connection; I don't..

If ever I open Windows XP on my Computer without switching on the ADSL
wide-band modem, I get an error message saying Windows has recovered from a
serious fault and promptly wants to send a Fault Report to Microsoft. No
such Error message appears if I first switch on the ADSL modem and then
start Windows XP.

Does this mean that there is somewhere an Option to inform Windows XP that
it should or should not assume that there will be a Network Connection
switched on as soon as Windows opens up?

If such an Option exists in the I. E. or Network Connections, I would like
to know where it is and switch it off so that the Error message stops
popping at StartUp. Could anyone who knows how to switch off Windows XP's
false expectation, enlighten me on how to do that?

P. Jayant

kelly

Have no clue why this would be related to ADSL, but:

Use one of these three options.

Right Click the My Computer Icon/Properties/Advanced/
Performance/Settings/Advanced/Change.

1. Set Page File to 0, ok your way out and reboot. Then follow the same
procedure and reset the Page File to System Managed File.

2. No Page File. Reboot. Then delete C:\Pagefile.Sys then revert the page
file setting.

3. Set the swap file size to zero, reboot. Re-set to System Managed,
reboot. Reset the Custom setting, reboot.

You Receive a "System Has Recovered from a Serious Error" Message After
Every Restart
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q317277

Windows XP Problems if Your Profile Is Damaged
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q326688

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

In memory of those lost during Katrina &
Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.

"P.Jayant" <pjayant@sancharnet.in> wrote in message
> If ever I open Windows XP on my Computer without switching on the ADSL
> wide-band modem, I get an error message saying Windows has recovered from
> serious fault and promptly wants to send a Fault Report to Microsoft. No
> such Error message appears if I first switch on the ADSL modem and then
> start Windows XP.
>
> Does this mean that there is somewhere an Option to inform Windows XP that
> it should or should not assume that there will be a Network Connection
> switched on as soon as Windows opens up?
>
> If such an Option exists in the I. E. or Network Connections, I would like
> to know where it is and switch it off so that the Error message stops
> popping at StartUp. Could anyone who knows how to switch off Windows XP's
> false expectation, enlighten me on how to do that?
>

> P. Jayant

Thanks, Kelly.

Your procedure for overcoming the "System Has Recovered from a Serious
Error" Message has worked successfully. I was waiting for a sufficient
number of re-starts to convince me that the problem has really disappeared.
Hence the delay in acknowledging.

P. Jayant

kelly

Great, glad to hear it. Thanks for the update. :eek:)