Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which cable should I use?

  • Flat Panel Monitors
  • GPUs
  • DVI
  • Monitors
  • Cable
  • Peripherals
  • Product
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 26, 2011 5:42:45 PM

Please help

I know virtually nothing about cables. I need to buy the correct cable for my GPU.

My system has a EVGA GTX 460 GPU with a SCEPTRE X20WG-Naga Monitor.



The monitor came with what I believe is a D-sub/VGA cable. Which i have connected to my GPU with a VGA to DVI connector.... I think....

Since both of them have a DVI coonector should i be using a DVI to DVI cable? or should i by using the mini HDMI on the GPU to connet to the DVI on my monitor?

If I should use DVI which DVI do i use? Their seems to be many different DVI standards:
DVI-D (digital only) single link and dual link?
DVI-A (analog only)
DVI-I (integrated - digital and analog) single link and dual link?
M1-DA (integrated - digital and analog, and USB)

Could somone please point me to which cable to buy? I tend to use

More about : cable

Best solution

January 26, 2011 7:57:09 PM

You will need to use a DVI-I Dual link cable. Both your GPU and monitor have DVI-I Dual link ports. For help in the future just look at the ports on the GPU and monitor and look for what DVI port they both have.

Here is a list of the different types of DVI ports:
February 2, 2011 4:38:16 PM

Best answer selected by This One Time.
a b C Monitor
February 2, 2011 7:59:11 PM

Actually, you only need a single link cable for that. Dual link DVI is only needed for very high data rates (either a high resolution or a high refresh rate). If you have a 60Hz monitor, you only need dual link DVI for resolutions >1920x1200. Dual link is also needed for pretty much any 120Hz monitor.

Since the linked monitor is a 1680x1050 60Hz monitor, you only need a single link DVI-D.