Erik

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

if I were to re-install windows xp, would I lose all of the files on my
computer, movies, pictures, things like that? I can't connect to the
internet with IE6 and I think this is my last resort.

In theory, you can do a repair (aka over-the-top) install
which SHOULD not affect the files.

Have you tried System Restore (>Start >All Programs
>Accessories >System Tools >System Restore) or the system
file checker (>Start >Run >SFC /scannow)

Mike

"erik" <erik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: if I were to re-install windows xp, would I lose all of
the files on my
: computer, movies, pictures, things like that? I can't
connect to the
: internet with IE6 and I think this is my last resort.

Most probably. But instead of doing the route you want to take why not tell us exactly per verbatim including error messages that you are receiving. Most probably there is a solution or fix. Also instead of a format if it comes down to that ,it would be better to do a Repair install. This way you get to keep all. Also there is a word called Back -Up. .
You should always back up everything that is important to you. You can put them (movies,etc) on DVD'S and CD's.

Again before doing anything can you post the issue and exactly what is happening that you are not able to connect.

--
Peter

"erik" <erik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1BFFBDD4-9775-4D2B-9A5F-0151B5599766@microsoft.com...
> if I were to re-install windows xp, would I lose all of the files on my
> computer, movies, pictures, things like that? I can't connect to the
> internet with IE6 and I think this is my last resort.

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 09:11:07 -0700, "erik"
<erik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>if I were to re-install windows xp, would I lose all of the files on my
>computer, movies, pictures, things like that? I can't connect to the
>internet with IE6 and I think this is my last resort.

Your ISP should help u here via fone.

Also try IE6 newsgroup
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser

A reinstall is overkill IMHO.

HTH-Larry

Any advise given is my attempt to show appreciation for all
the excellent help I've received here but I'm no MVP so it
may only apply NUGS (Normally, Usually, Generally, Sometimes :)

Jim

"erik" <erik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> if I were to re-install windows xp, would I lose all of the files on my
> computer, movies, pictures, things like that? I can't connect to the
> internet with IE6 and I think this is my last resort.
Surely a reinstall is not needed.
Jim