need help installing windows HELP PLEASE!

hi everyone.

i recently built myself a computer, and am trying to install windows xp on it.

heres what happens:

i start the computer.

i put the windows xp upgrade cd in.

it says "press any key to boot from cd"

i press a key.

it loads up, and i go through a few steps.

then it says i have to put a recent version of windows cd in.

so i get my "windows 95 companion" cd

i put it in and press enter.it accepts it.

i go through a few steps, and then i quick format the drive as an NTFS file
system.

then, it says "copying files. This may take a few munites to complete."
heres where the trouble comes in.

during the file copy process, i get multiple errors such as "cannot copy
ks.sys press enter to try again and....press escape to skip the file.

i press enter. happens again. i press escape, and it continues.

this happens multiple times, and when i get into the real setup, i get an
error somthing like this:

"the setup log should contain more information. this is a fatal error"

and windows xp never gets on there.
help PLEASE! i dont want my copy of xp to go down the drain...

If it's not copying all the files it needs, the installation is going to be
a problem. Either you've got a badly burned copy of xp (in which case you
should use the original instead of the burned one) or the cd is dirty (in
which case you should clean it) or you're having a hardware problem with the
cd drive, which is having problem reading the CD properly. It could be the
drive or the cable, or more remotely, the motherboard.

"TheBestKeptOne" <TheBestKeptOne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi everyone.
>
> i recently built myself a computer, and am trying to install windows xp on
> it.
>
> heres what happens:
>
> i start the computer.
>
> i put the windows xp upgrade cd in.
>
> it says "press any key to boot from cd"
>
> i press a key.
>
> it loads up, and i go through a few steps.
>
> then it says i have to put a recent version of windows cd in.
>
> so i get my "windows 95 companion" cd
>
> i put it in and press enter.it accepts it.
>
> i go through a few steps, and then i quick format the drive as an NTFS
> file
> system.
>
> then, it says "copying files. This may take a few munites to complete."
> heres where the trouble comes in.
>
> during the file copy process, i get multiple errors such as "cannot copy
> ks.sys press enter to try again and....press escape to skip the file.
>
> i press enter. happens again. i press escape, and it continues.
>
> this happens multiple times, and when i get into the real setup, i get an
> error somthing like this:
>
> "the setup log should contain more information. this is a fatal error"
>
> and windows xp never gets on there.
> help PLEASE! i dont want my copy of xp to go down the drain...

the cd is fine...its not a burned copy either.
ive tried multiple cd drives, and multiple hard drives...none seem to work.

Please help!

Either buy a qualifying operating system CD and license for your
"upgrade" XP version OR buy a full retail or OEM version of XP.

TheBestKeptOne wrote:
> hi everyone.
>
> i recently built myself a computer, and am trying to install windows xp on it.
>
> heres what happens:
>
> i start the computer.
>
> i put the windows xp upgrade cd in.
>
> it says "press any key to boot from cd"
>
> i press a key.
>
> it loads up, and i go through a few steps.
>
> then it says i have to put a recent version of windows cd in.
>
> so i get my "windows 95 companion" cd
>
> i put it in and press enter.it accepts it.
>
> i go through a few steps, and then i quick format the drive as an NTFS file
> system.
>
> then, it says "copying files. This may take a few munites to complete."
> heres where the trouble comes in.
>
> during the file copy process, i get multiple errors such as "cannot copy
> ks.sys press enter to try again and....press escape to skip the file.
>
> i press enter. happens again. i press escape, and it continues.
>
> this happens multiple times, and when i get into the real setup, i get an
> error somthing like this:
>
> "the setup log should contain more information. this is a fatal error"
>
> and windows xp never gets on there.
> help PLEASE! i dont want my copy of xp to go down the drain...

FYI, Windows 95 Companion is not a qualifying cdrom nor
is Windows 95 a qualifying Windows product for upgrading
to Windows XP. Look here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix.mspx

Please read the Upgrade requirements very carefully.

TheBestKeptOne wrote:

> the cd is fine...its not a burned copy either.
> ive tried multiple cd drives, and multiple hard drives...none seem to work.
>
> Please help!

and where do i find those?

"Bob I" wrote:

> Please read the Upgrade requirements very carefully.

Malke

TheBestKeptOne wrote:

> and where do i find those?
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>
>> Please read the Upgrade requirements very carefully.

Here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/default.mspx

And since you've built this machine yourself and the installation fails
on several hard drives, check your RAM. I like Memtest86+ from
www.memtest.org. Obviously, you have to get the program from a working
machine. You will either download the precompiled Windows binary to
make a bootable floppy or the .iso to make a bootable cd. If you want
to use the latter, you'll need to have third-party burning software on
the machine where you download the file - XP's built-in burning
capability won't do the job. In either case, boot with the media you
made. The test will run immediately. Let the test run for an hour or
two - unless errors are seen immediately. If you get any errors,
replace the RAM.

If the RAM checks out all right, then you have other hardware problems,
probably the motherboard.

Also, as you've been told numerous times, the Windows 95 Companion is
not an operating system and you will need a qualifying operating system
for an upgrade:

Qualifying Media -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/matrix.mspx

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

> the cd is fine...its not a burned copy either.
> ive tried multiple cd drives, and multiple hard drives...none seem to
> work.
>
> Please help!

Could be bad or incompatible memory.

Or it could be something in the bios that's set wrong.

My best guess would be the memory.

D.Currie wrote:

> If it's not copying all the files it needs, the installation is going to be
> a problem. Either you've got a badly burned copy of xp (in which case you
> should use the original instead of the burned one) or the cd is dirty (in
> which case you should clean it) or you're having a hardware problem with the

At an appointment earlier in the week, the customer [dad] said they were
having problems copying files during the XP install. From experience,
most of the time this is due to a dirty cd or really old or worn out
[due to gaming in many cases] cdrom drive.

So I ask to see the XP disk he was using. He calls his son upstairs for
the CD and he tosses down the stairs a backpack filled with audio,
games, every cd they own in the backpack, none of them in a case or
envelope. He found the XP cd and it looked like it was in a sander and
then run over :)

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

>"i put the windows xp upgrade cd in"
You can't load a WHOLE XP on a clean drive from an UPGRADE ... you need a
whole OS (Not WIN95) to use the upgrade.

"TheBestKeptOne" <TheBestKeptOne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi everyone.
>
> i recently built myself a computer, and am trying to install windows xp on
> it.
>
> heres what happens:
>
> i start the computer.
>
> i put the windows xp upgrade cd in.
>
> it says "press any key to boot from cd"
>
> i press a key.
>
> it loads up, and i go through a few steps.
>
> then it says i have to put a recent version of windows cd in.
>
> so i get my "windows 95 companion" cd
>
> i put it in and press enter.it accepts it.
>
> i go through a few steps, and then i quick format the drive as an NTFS
> file
> system.
>
> then, it says "copying files. This may take a few munites to complete."
> heres where the trouble comes in.
>
> during the file copy process, i get multiple errors such as "cannot copy
> ks.sys press enter to try again and....press escape to skip the file.
>
> i press enter. happens again. i press escape, and it continues.
>
> this happens multiple times, and when i get into the real setup, i get an
> error somthing like this:
>
> "the setup log should contain more information. this is a fatal error"
>
> and windows xp never gets on there.
> help PLEASE! i dont want my copy of xp to go down the drain...

Can vouch for the memory causing this issue not copying files. Had exact
same problem, changed RAM and problem solved.

However interesting point by ghostrider and 95...

--
Thinking of upgrading .. COOL... http://www.sbsmigration.com

www.smallbizserver.net (2000 and 2003)

microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000 (2000 NG)

microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs (2003 NG)

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&group=microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&group=microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

http://www.sbslinks.com/

In news:OEnXBXbtFHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Pentium <pent@anycomp.info> typed:

>> "i put the windows xp upgrade cd in"
> You can't load a WHOLE XP on a clean drive from an UPGRADE ...

You certainly can.

The requirement to use an upgrade version is to *own* a previous
qualifying version's installation CD (with an OEM restore CD, see
below), not to have it installed. When setup doesn't find a
previous qualifying version installed, it will prompt you to
insert its CD as proof of ownership. Just insert the previous
version's CD, and follow the prompts. Everything proceeds quite
normally and quite legitimately.

You can also do a clean installation if you have an OEM restore
CD of a previous qualifying version. It's more complicated, but
it *can* be done. First restore from the Restore CD. Then run the
XP upgrade CD from within that restored system, and change from
Upgrade to New Install. When it asks where, press Esc to delete
the partition and start over.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> you
> need a whole OS (Not WIN95) to use the upgrade.
>
> "TheBestKeptOne" <TheBestKeptOne@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in
> message
>> hi everyone.
>>
>> i recently built myself a computer, and am trying to install
>> windows
>> xp on it.
>>
>> heres what happens:
>>
>> i start the computer.
>>
>> i put the windows xp upgrade cd in.
>>
>> it says "press any key to boot from cd"
>>
>> i press a key.
>>
>> it loads up, and i go through a few steps.
>>
>> then it says i have to put a recent version of windows cd in.
>>
>> so i get my "windows 95 companion" cd
>>
>> i put it in and press enter.it accepts it.
>>
>> i go through a few steps, and then i quick format the drive as
>> an
>> NTFS file
>> system.
>>
>> then, it says "copying files. This may take a few munites to
>> complete." heres where the trouble comes in.
>>
>> during the file copy process, i get multiple errors such as
>> "cannot
>> copy ks.sys press enter to try again and....press escape to
>> skip the
>> file. i press enter. happens again. i press escape, and it
>> continues.
>>
>> this happens multiple times, and when i get into the real
>> setup, i
>> get an error somthing like this:
>>
>> "the setup log should contain more information. this is a
>> fatal
>> error" and windows xp never gets on there.
>> help PLEASE! i dont want my copy of xp to go down the drain...

TRENDING THREADS