Hard Drive Lost Pins

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Hi.Sorry this is in totally the wrong category but i really need some feedback.My friend's hard drive (Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8 30Gb-not that it makes a difference)has lost a few pins from the ide connection gradually over the last six months or so.When it lost the first one or two it was still working perfectly but since it lost a third it has stopped booting.I have tried to reinstall windows (xp pro) on it for him and it will recognise and format the drive and do the early stages of the installation but after the first restart the drive won't boot.
Unfortunately, as an OEM drive, it is past its 1 year warranty with the vendor and, while i am going to try to get Maxtor to replace it, i very much doubt they will.My friend really cannot afford a new drive.
So...has anyone found any ingenious ways to make new pins for a hard drive or to fool it into thinking they are there(for example by filling the corresponding holes on the IDE cable)?Any bright ideas or wild suggestions would be great. :smile:

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
maybe solder a thin wire to the back of the connector on the HDD, stick the other end into the IDE cable connector - maybe drilling a small hole in the plastic surround of the socket on the HDD to allow the wire in while the plug is plugged in?

How exactly has he managed to 'lose pins' anyhow?

---
<font color=red>Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.</font color=red> :wink:

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Cheers.I'll give that a go.Nothing to lose really.The pins have been 'lost' by his repeated manhandling of the ide cable when he kept taking the drive out to take it home (we are at uni).Once he forced it in upside-down so the keyed bit bent all of the pins and i had to bend them back carefully!

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I've learned the ol' 'never force an IDE cable connector' lesson the hard way myself. nowadays If I start getting frustrated I leave it and have a cup of coffee or something. Killed an old 60Gb HDD of mine that way.

---
<font color=red>Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.</font color=red> :wink:

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Does the problem with the drive sound like it should be the result of the lost pins?I did manage to retrieve all of my friend's data using my computer but it wouldn't recognise the drive in windows so i had to copy it using a windows PE type thing.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
hmmm... can't he just stick to running DOS then? :lol: ...

sounds kinda like it works if it's running in ancient PIO4 mode or UDMA33 or something... <i>maybe</i> if you track down a really old 40-pin IDE cable (which will always only be UDMA33) then it'll be detected as 33 and work, albeit slower?

Shot in the dark, but might work?

---