Explorer Address Bar Overwrites Typing

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

For several months now the address bar in Windows Explorer will not let me
finish typing a directory, URL, or file name in the text box. It reverts
and selects whatever is the current directory or takes a few characters of
what I am typing. The only way I can put anything into the text box is to
cut-and-paste it. The other account on this computer does not have this
problem.

I have tried to turn off auto-complete and several other things, but nothing
works. The address bar in IE does not behave like this which surprises me.
I tweaked the registry with the tweak from line 157 on Kelly's site to no
avail. This problem is driving me nuts because there are many times that it
is quicker to type something in the address box than clicking.

Please help,
Mark
32 answers Last reply
More about explorer address overwrites typing
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I have also had this problem on many Windows XP machines, is this a
    Windows Bug or something?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I have no idea if it is a Windows bug. I could not find any mention of it
    in the MS KB and only a fleeting sighting of it when googled. I suspect
    that it was a Registry entry that I changed somehow because it does not
    appear on other profiles on this machine or any user profiles on the three
    other computers in my house. Just my profile on my machine. It drives me
    nuts because I cannot navigate effectively with Explorer. IE's address bar
    does not do it, but I don't care because I use Firefox.

    Mark

    "Gunther" <steevjohal@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have also had this problem on many Windows XP machines, is this a
    > Windows Bug or something?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    This is not autocomplete related. If I am in the C:\Windows directory
    in windows explorer and I am type C:\Documents and Settings, windows
    explorer will take what I type in the bar out and replace it with the
    directory I am in (C:\Windows).
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Inline AutoComplete

    [[Windows Explorer and the Run box both have AutoComplete capabilities, as
    in Microsoft Internet Explorer. There are actually two forms of
    AutoComplete. The first is an automatic suggestion, where you get a
    drop-down list of sites with the same letters you have typed. The second is
    where the line you are typing is automatically completed if you have typed
    the same letters before. This is the Inline AutoComplete feature. The
    first feature is turned on by default, but Inline AutoComplete is not. ]]

    Disabling or Enabling the AutoComplete or Inline AutoComplete Feature
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237553

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eAQBTPWtFHA.1028@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Mark Milliman <mark.milliman@comcast.net> hunted and pecked:
    > For several months now the address bar in Windows Explorer will not let me
    > finish typing a directory, URL, or file name in the text box. It reverts
    > and selects whatever is the current directory or takes a few characters of
    > what I am typing. The only way I can put anything into the text box is to
    > cut-and-paste it. The other account on this computer does not have this
    > problem.
    >
    > I have tried to turn off auto-complete and several other things, but
    > nothing works. The address bar in IE does not behave like this which
    > surprises me. I tweaked the registry with the tweak from line 157 on
    > Kelly's site to no avail. This problem is driving me nuts because there
    > are many times that it is quicker to type something in the address box
    > than clicking.
    >
    > Please help,
    > Mark
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Wesley:

    Thank you for your prompt response. I was aware of the two different but
    similar features and the first thing I tried was to turn off both. I
    assumed that the address bar would function the same in IE and Explorer, but
    it doesn't always do that. Auto complete and Inline Auto Complete work fine
    in IE and the Run dialog box. In the Explorer Address bar my drop down list
    gives me a list of directories starting at the Desktop going down to the
    drive level. The drop down list is the same no matter where in the
    directory structure I am situated. IE and Run do not work this way. Inline
    Auto Complete after about a second tries to complete the command with
    whatever I was able to type in that time.

    Logically I would assume that changing these settings in the Internet
    Options dialog would only affect IE, but knowing how MS links Explorer with
    IE it is anyone's guess. Maybe there is another setting hidden in the
    Registry that controls each user's inline auto complete function. I
    searched last weekend and didn't find anything. I'll try it again now. Any
    other suggestions?

    Regards,
    Mark

    > Inline AutoComplete
    >
    > [[Windows Explorer and the Run box both have AutoComplete capabilities, as
    > in Microsoft Internet Explorer. There are actually two forms of
    > AutoComplete. The first is an automatic suggestion, where you get a
    > drop-down list of sites with the same letters you have typed. The second
    > is
    > where the line you are typing is automatically completed if you have typed
    > the same letters before. This is the Inline AutoComplete feature. The
    > first feature is turned on by default, but Inline AutoComplete is not. ]]
    >
    > Disabling or Enabling the AutoComplete or Inline AutoComplete Feature
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237553
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:eAQBTPWtFHA.1028@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > Mark Milliman <mark.milliman@comcast.net> hunted and pecked:
    >> For several months now the address bar in Windows Explorer will not let
    >> me
    >> finish typing a directory, URL, or file name in the text box. It reverts
    >> and selects whatever is the current directory or takes a few characters
    >> of
    >> what I am typing. The only way I can put anything into the text box is
    >> cut-and-paste it. The other account on this computer does not have this
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> I have tried to turn off auto-complete and several other things, but
    >> nothing works. The address bar in IE does not behave like this which
    >> surprises me. I tweaked the registry with the tweak from line 157 on
    >> Kelly's site to no avail. This problem is driving me nuts because there
    >> are many times that it is quicker to type something in the address box
    >> than clicking.
    >>
    >> Please help,
    >> Mark

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Mark,

    I have Windows XP Pro SP1a.

    Append Completion, AutoComplete In File Dialog & AutoSuggest

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Explorer\AutoComplete
    Value Name: Append Completion
    Value Type: REG_SZ
    Value Data: yes or no
    yes = Finishes the typing for you, highlighted.
    no = Does not happen.

    Value Name: AutoComplete In File Dialog
    Value Type: REG_DWORD
    Value Data: 0
    0 = Off.
    1 = On.

    Value Name: AutoSuggest
    Value Type: REG_SZ
    Value Data: yes or no
    yes = Drop down box appears.
    no = Does not happen.

    I had AutoComplete In File Dialog set to 0 and tested these...

    Append Completion: yes and AutoSuggest: no. Run box, finishes the typing
    for you, highlighted. Internet Explorer, a drop down appears. Windows
    Explorer, finishes the typing for you, highlighted.

    AutoSuggest: yes and Append Completion: no. Run box, a drop down appears.
    Internet Explorer, a drop down appears. Windows Explorer, finishes the
    typing for you, highlighted.

    Append Completion: yes and AutoSuggest: yes. Run box, both finishes the
    typing for you, highlighted and a drop down appears. Internet Explorer,
    both finishes the typing for you, highlighted and a drop down appears.
    Windows Explorer, both finishes the typing for you, highlighted and a drop
    down appears.

    I never bothered to set AutoComplete In File Dialog set to 1.

    AutoComplete In File Dialog also affects Open/Save As dialog boxes.

    Append Completion normally would append with highlighted text.

    AutoSuggest offers a box with suggestions of what else has already been
    typed and saved in History or AutoComplete.

    You may need to experiment to get exactly what you want. As you can see,
    different combinations work differently.

    I normally have all of this irritating junk turned off; no, 0, no; even in
    MS Word. ;-)

    I gotta go change the settings back to normal.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uToCDnWtFHA.908@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> [...]
    >> Mark Milliman <mark.milliman@comcast.net> hunted and pecked:
    >>> For several months now the address bar in Windows Explorer will not let
    >>> me
    >>> finish typing a directory, URL, or file name in the text box. It
    >>> reverts and selects whatever is the current directory or takes a few
    >>> characters of
    >>> what I am typing. The only way I can put anything into the text box is
    >>> cut-and-paste it. The other account on this computer does not have this
    >>> problem.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried to turn off auto-complete and several other things, but
    >>> nothing works. The address bar in IE does not behave like this which
    >>> surprises me. I tweaked the registry with the tweak from line 157 on
    >>> Kelly's site to no avail. This problem is driving me nuts because there
    >>> are many times that it is quicker to type something in the address box

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Westley:

    Thanks for your diligence with this problem. I played around with those
    settings and did not find that they made any difference. I even turned them
    all off and rebooted. Nothing changed. It is though there is a timer for
    auto inline complete that is set to less than one second or a hook that is
    taking control. When I type "c:" file://c: is displayed quickly before
    reverting to the previous path.

    Any more suggestions? This one has had me stumped for months.

    Thanks,
    Mark

> [...]
    >> Any other suggestions?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Mark

    >>> Inline AutoComplete
    >>>
    >>> [[Windows Explorer and the Run box both have AutoComplete capabilities,
    >>> as in Microsoft Internet Explorer. There are actually two forms of
    >>> AutoComplete. The first is an automatic suggestion, where you get a
    >>> drop-down list of sites with the same letters you have typed. The
    >>> second
    >>> is
    >>> where the line you are typing is automatically completed if you have
    >>> typed the same letters before. This is the Inline AutoComplete feature.
    >>> The first feature is turned on by default, but Inline AutoComplete is
    >>> not. ]]
    >>>
    >>> Disabling or Enabling the AutoComplete or Inline AutoComplete Feature

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Mark,

    I'm looking at some things. In the mean time...

    Check and see if you have any settings here...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Explorer\AutoComplete
    Append Completion, AutoComplete In File Dialog and AutoSuggest

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OvSRNrXtFHA.460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> [...]
    >>> Explorer, but it doesn't always do that. Auto complete and Inline Auto
    >>> Complete work fine in IE and the Run dialog box. In the Explorer
    >>> Address bar my drop down list gives me a list of directories starting
    >>> at the Desktop going down to the drive level. The drop down list is
    >>> the same no matter where in the directory structure I am situated. IE
    >>> and Run do not work this way. Inline Auto Complete after about a
    >>> second tries to complete the command with whatever I was able to type
    >>> in that time.
    >>>
    >>> Logically I would assume that changing these settings in the Internet
    >>> Options dialog would only affect IE, but knowing how MS links Explorer
    >>> with IE it is anyone's guess. Maybe there is another setting hidden in
    >>> the Registry that controls each user's inline auto complete function. I
    >>> searched last weekend and didn't find anything. I'll try it again now.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Wesley:

    These are the settings you requested:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoComplete]
    "Append Completion"="no"
    "AutoSuggest"="no"
    "AutoComplete In File Dialog"=dword:00000000
    "Always Use Tab"=dword:00000001

    Keep looking. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Duh, when I finish
    what I am doing today, I will export a working leaf of the Explorer registry
    and do a diff with mine. Somewhere there has to be a difference unless the
    problem is elsewhere. It has to be under HKCU though.

    Mark

> [...]
    >>> typing for you, highlighted and a drop down appears. Internet Explorer,
    >>> both finishes the typing for you, highlighted and a drop down appears.
    >>> Windows Explorer, both finishes the typing for you, highlighted and a
    >>> drop down appears.
    >>>
    >>> I never bothered to set AutoComplete In File Dialog set to 1.
    >>>
    >>> AutoComplete In File Dialog also affects Open/Save As dialog boxes.
    >>>
    >>> Append Completion normally would append with highlighted text.
    >>>
    >>> AutoSuggest offers a box with suggestions of what else has already been
    >>> typed and saved in History or AutoComplete.
    >>>
    >>> You may need to experiment to get exactly what you want. As you can
    >>> see,
    >>> different combinations work differently.
    >>>
    >>> I normally have all of this irritating junk turned off; no, 0, no; even
    >>> in MS Word. ;-)
    >>>
    >>> I gotta go change the settings back to normal.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Mark,

    Nope. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE *NOT* HKEY_CURRENT_USER

    Check and see if you have any settings here...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Explorer\AutoComplete
    Append Completion, AutoComplete In File Dialog and AutoSuggest

    What I was looking for was whether you had Append Completion, AutoComplete
    In File Dialog or AutoSuggest in...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Explorer\AutoComplete

    We already knew about...
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Explorer\AutoComplete

    *I* do not have that key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. I was curious as to whether
    you did. If you did, it would explain some things.

    I have been searching through my registry and the web. I may have lost
    sight of the initial objective here. I can't see the forest for the trees.
    ;-)

    You want all AutoComplete, AutoSuggest stuff turned *OFF*, correct?

    IE | Tools | Internet Options | Content tab | AutoComplete button |
    Make sure that these are turned off also.
    Web addresses
    [[Specifies whether you want Internet Explorer to automatically list
    suggested Internet addresses as you type them in the Address bar. If you've
    visited the Web site before, the AutoComplete feature suggests a match as
    you type. You can go to the suggested address by clicking it and then
    clicking the Go button.]]

    Forms
    [[Specifies whether you want Internet Explorer to automatically list
    suggested entries when you enter text on Web pages. For example, when you
    are prompted to fill in your name, Internet Explorer can list other name
    entries you've used before. Then, you can select a suggestion and enter it
    by clicking it in the list. The AutoComplete feature can also provide
    possible matches when entering searches, stock quotes, or just about any
    field on a Web page. ]]

    User names and passwords on forms
    [[Specifies whether you want Internet Explorer to suggest entries for
    usernames when you enter them in Web pages, and to automatically fill in the
    name's corresponding password if you have previously saved it in Internet
    Explorer.
    Note: For security reasons, Internet Explorer does not actually display or
    list password entries;
    each character in a password box is represented by an asterisk ( * ).]]

    IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced tab

    Use inline AutoComplete
    [[Specifies whether you want Internet Explorer to complete entries when you
    type Web addresses in the Address bar, based on entries you've used before.
    For example, if you start typing http://www.home.micr and you've visited
    http://www.home.microsoft.com before, AutoComplete will suggest
    "http://www.home.microsoft.com." To view other matches, press the DOWN ARROW
    key. After you finish typing a Web address, or when AutoComplete finds a
    match, click the Go button.]]

    How to Use the AutoComplete Feature in Internet Explorer 5 and 6
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;217148

    I have a boatload of reg entries for AutoComplete.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OFpvc7YtFHA.3908@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Mark Milliman <mark.milliman@comcast.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Wesley:
    >
    > These are the settings you requested:

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoCo
    mplete]
    > "Append Completion"="no"
    > "AutoSuggest"="no"
    > "AutoComplete In File Dialog"=dword:00000000
    > "Always Use Tab"=dword:00000001
    >
    > Keep looking. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Duh, when I
    > finish what I am doing today, I will export a working leaf of the
    > Explorer registry and do a diff with mine. Somewhere there has to be a
    > difference unless the problem is elsewhere. It has to be under HKCU
    > though.
    >
    > Mark

    >> Mark,
    >>
    >> I'm looking at some things. In the mean time...
    >>
    >> Check and see if you have any settings here...
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    >> Explorer\AutoComplete
    >> Append Completion, AutoComplete In File Dialog and AutoSuggest
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:OvSRNrXtFHA.460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    >> Mark Milliman <mark.milliman@comcast.net> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Westley:
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your diligence with this problem. I played around with those
    >>> settings and did not find that they made any difference. I even turned
    >>> them all off and rebooted. Nothing changed. It is though there is a
    >>> timer for auto inline complete that is set to less than one second or a
    >>> hook that is taking control. When I type "c:" file://c: is displayed
    >>> quickly before reverting to the previous path.
    >>>
    >>> Any more suggestions? This one has had me stumped for months.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Mark

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Thats what we are trying to tell you guys it is not
    autocomplete/suggest related because it is never beneficial because it
    does not auto anything. It just reverts whatever you type with the
    existing directory.
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Wesley:

    No that key is not in HKLM. Sorry about my previous response. I guess I
    did not read it properly. What I want to do is to be able to type anything
    into the Explorer address bar. Right now anything I type is overwritten by
    the previous entry in less than 1 second. For instance if I have an
    explorer window open in My Documents. "My Documents" is selected in the
    address bar. If I start typing "My Music," I can type the M and y before
    it reverts to "My Documents." This behavior does not happen when I type in
    a command or file name in the Run dialog box or IE. Something different is
    happening in the Explorer address bar that prevents me from typing and
    completing a directory name, URL, or command.

    Mark

> [...]
    > mplete]
    >> "Append Completion"="no"
    >> "AutoSuggest"="no"
    >> "AutoComplete In File Dialog"=dword:00000000
    >> "Always Use Tab"=dword:00000001
    >>
    >> Keep looking. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Duh, when I
    >> finish what I am doing today, I will export a working leaf of the
    >> Explorer registry and do a diff with mine. Somewhere there has to be a
    >> difference unless the problem is elsewhere. It has to be under HKCU
    >> though.
    >>
    >> Mark

    >>> Mark,
    >>>
    >>> I'm looking at some things. In the mean time...
    >>>
    >>> Check and see if you have any settings here...
    >>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    >>> Explorer\AutoComplete
    >>> Append Completion, AutoComplete In File Dialog and AutoSuggest

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Who is we?

    I have no AutoComplete or AutoSuggest features turned on. Just the way that
    I like it. I even have Automatic Completion turned of for Command Prompt.

    When I type something in Run, Windows Explorer Address bar or Internet
    Explorer Address bar, nothing appears except for what I type. Nothing else.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:1126314125.909131.136560@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,
    Gunther <steevjohal@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thats what we are trying to tell you guys it is not
    > autocomplete/suggest related because it is never beneficial because it
    > does not auto anything. It just reverts whatever you type with the
    > existing directory.
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Mark,

    Line 157 does not address this issue. Nor does Auto Complete.

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    In memory of those lost during Katrina &
    Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.

    "Mark Milliman" <mark.milliman@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > For several months now the address bar in Windows Explorer will not let me
    > finish typing a directory, URL, or file name in the text box. It reverts
    > and selects whatever is the current directory or takes a few characters of
    > what I am typing. The only way I can put anything into the text box is to
    > cut-and-paste it. The other account on this computer does not have this
    > problem.
    >
    > I have tried to turn off auto-complete and several other things, but
    > nothing
    > works. The address bar in IE does not behave like this which surprises
    > me.
    > I tweaked the registry with the tweak from line 157 on Kelly's site to no
    > avail. This problem is driving me nuts because there are many times that
    > it
    > is quicker to type something in the address box than clicking.
    >
    > Please help,
    > Mark

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Kelly,

    Good to see you back!

    This is interesting.

    The following is not true on my machine. Open Recycle Bin from Desktop,
    type in an address, nothing interferes, click go and there it goes. Whether
    it be a url or path.

    [[SYMPTOMS
    If you open the Recycle Bin and try to type in the Address bar, the address
    reverts back to Recycle Bin, and this prevents you from opening or viewing
    other folders from the Recycle Bin. For example, whatever you type in the
    Address bar is rapidly and automatically changed to "recycle bin."
    RESOLUTION
    To view or open folders, use Microsoft Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer
    instead of the Recycle Bin.
    STATUS
    This behavior is by design. ]]
    from..
    Unable to Type in Address Bar in Recycle Bin
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300923

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eduiP3ctFHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi Mark,
    >
    > Line 157 does not address this issue. Nor does Auto Complete.
    >
    > --
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >
    > In memory of those lost during Katrina &
    > Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.
    >

    > "Mark Milliman" <mark.milliman@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> For several months now the address bar in Windows Explorer will not let
    >> me finish typing a directory, URL, or file name in the text box. It
    >> reverts and selects whatever is the current directory or takes a few
    >> characters of what I am typing. The only way I can put anything into
    >> the text box is to cut-and-paste it. The other account on this computer
    >> does not have this problem.
    >>
    >> I have tried to turn off auto-complete and several other things, but
    >> nothing
    >> works. The address bar in IE does not behave like this which surprises
    >> me.
    >> I tweaked the registry with the tweak from line 157 on Kelly's site to no
    >> avail. This problem is driving me nuts because there are many times that
    >> it
    >> is quicker to type something in the address box than clicking.
    >>
    >> Please help,
    >> Mark
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Okay Kelly so what does address this issue? We are stumped. I thought that
    I could pretty much solve any Windows problem by myself, but this one has me
    stumped.

    Mark

    > Hi Mark,
    >
    > Line 157 does not address this issue. Nor does Auto Complete.
    >
    > --
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >
    > In memory of those lost during Katrina &
    > Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.
    >

    > "Mark Milliman" <mark.milliman@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> For several months now the address bar in Windows Explorer will not let
    >> me
    >> finish typing a directory, URL, or file name in the text box. It reverts
    >> and selects whatever is the current directory or takes a few characters
    >> of
    >> what I am typing. The only way I can put anything into the text box is
    >> cut-and-paste it. The other account on this computer does not have this
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> I have tried to turn off auto-complete and several other things, but
    >> nothing
    >> works. The address bar in IE does not behave like this which surprises
    >> me.
    >> I tweaked the registry with the tweak from line 157 on Kelly's site to no
    >> avail. This problem is driving me nuts because there are many times that
    >> it
    >> is quicker to type something in the address box than clicking.
    >>
    >> Please help,
    >> Mark

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Well, I give up. It's obvious that I have no clue. ;-( Just ask Kelly or
    Gunther.

    My machine works fine.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eWaUZWitFHA.268@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Mark Milliman <mark.milliman@comcast.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Okay Kelly so what does address this issue? We are stumped. I thought
    > that I could pretty much solve any Windows problem by myself, but this
    > one has me stumped.
    >
    > Mark

    >> Hi Mark,
    >>
    >> Line 157 does not address this issue. Nor does Auto Complete.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>
    >> In memory of those lost during Katrina &
    >> Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.
    >>

    >> "Mark Milliman" <mark.milliman@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> For several months now the address bar in Windows Explorer will not let
    >>> me
    >>> finish typing a directory, URL, or file name in the text box. It
    >>> reverts and selects whatever is the current directory or takes a few
    >>> characters of
    >>> what I am typing. The only way I can put anything into the text box is
    >>> cut-and-paste it. The other account on this computer does not have this
    >>> problem.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried to turn off auto-complete and several other things, but
    >>> nothing
    >>> works. The address bar in IE does not behave like this which surprises
    >>> me.
    >>> I tweaked the registry with the tweak from line 157 on Kelly's site to
    >>> no avail. This problem is driving me nuts because there are many times
    >>> that it
    >>> is quicker to type something in the address box than clicking.
    >>>
    >>> Please help,
    >>> Mark
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Mark Milliman" <mark.milliman@comcast.net> wrote in

    > For several months now the address bar in Windows Explorer will not
    > let me finish typing a directory, URL, or file name in the text box.
    > It reverts and selects whatever is the current directory or takes a
    > few characters of what I am typing. The only way I can put anything
    > into the text box is to cut-and-paste it. The other account on this
    > computer does not have this problem.

    Mark,

    You're not alone. I'm in the same boat, and NO ONE has been able to figure
    it out. I thought I was in good shape after I reghosted my machine (I keep
    the profile on a separate drive) but alas, it returned after my latest
    ghosting, so all I can do is narrow it down to a profile issue... but I'd
    hate to have to make a new profile...

    Did you have any luck with the DIFF on the registry hives?

    Jeff
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    If there is no solution then it has to be a bug right?
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Thank you! :o)

    --

    > Hi Kelly,
    >
    > Good to see you back!
    >
    > This is interesting.
    >
    > The following is not true on my machine. Open Recycle Bin from Desktop,
    > type in an address, nothing interferes, click go and there it goes.
    > Whether
    > it be a url or path.
    >
    > [[SYMPTOMS
    > If you open the Recycle Bin and try to type in the Address bar, the
    > address
    > reverts back to Recycle Bin, and this prevents you from opening or viewing
    > other folders from the Recycle Bin. For example, whatever you type in the
    > Address bar is rapidly and automatically changed to "recycle bin."
    > RESOLUTION
    > To view or open folders, use Microsoft Internet Explorer or Windows
    > Explorer
    > instead of the Recycle Bin.
    > STATUS
    > This behavior is by design. ]]
    > from..
    > Unable to Type in Address Bar in Recycle Bin
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300923
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:eduiP3ctFHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    >> Hi Mark,
    >>
    >> Line 157 does not address this issue. Nor does Auto Complete.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>
    >> In memory of those lost during Katrina &
    >> Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.
    >>

    >> "Mark Milliman" <mark.milliman@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> For several months now the address bar in Windows Explorer will not let
    >>> me finish typing a directory, URL, or file name in the text box. It
    >>> reverts and selects whatever is the current directory or takes a few
    >>> characters of what I am typing. The only way I can put anything into
    >>> the text box is to cut-and-paste it. The other account on this computer
    >>> does not have this problem.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried to turn off auto-complete and several other things, but
    >>> nothing
    >>> works. The address bar in IE does not behave like this which surprises
    >>> me.
    >>> I tweaked the registry with the tweak from line 157 on Kelly's site to
    >>> no
    >>> avail. This problem is driving me nuts because there are many times
    >>> that
    >>> it
    >>> is quicker to type something in the address box than clicking.
    >>>
    >>> Please help,
    >>> Mark

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Mark,

    This has to do with the Security of Browsers:
    http://www.cs.nmt.edu/~liebrock/papers/TRBrowserSecurity.pdf

    Old but good info:
    http://dev.remotenetworktechnology.com/ts/fixmsrdp.htm

    And/or third party:

    Opera users claim: Search field in address bar always overwrites the
    exisiting page ....
    PCWash: Securely deletes and overwrites any file you choose.

    Privacy Guard: which overwrites the erased files up to 21 times with
    special chosen patterns of data to ensure that it will never be possible to
    recover it. It was designed to securely erase all your Internet History,
    browsing traces, temporary files, cookies and all the other files that you
    don't want to be found by anyone else!
    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    In memory of those lost during Katrina &
    Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.

    "Mark Milliman" <mark.milliman@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Okay Kelly so what does address this issue? We are stumped. I thought
    > that I could pretty much solve any Windows problem by myself, but this one
    > has me stumped.
    >
    > Mark

    >> Hi Mark,
    >>
    >> Line 157 does not address this issue. Nor does Auto Complete.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>
    >> In memory of those lost during Katrina &
    >> Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.
    >>

    >> "Mark Milliman" <mark.milliman@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> For several months now the address bar in Windows Explorer will not let
    >>> me
    >>> finish typing a directory, URL, or file name in the text box. It
    >>> reverts
    >>> and selects whatever is the current directory or takes a few characters
    >>> of
    >>> what I am typing. The only way I can put anything into the text box is
    >>> cut-and-paste it. The other account on this computer does not have this
    >>> problem.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried to turn off auto-complete and several other things, but
    >>> nothing
    >>> works. The address bar in IE does not behave like this which surprises
    >>> me.
    >>> I tweaked the registry with the tweak from line 157 on Kelly's site to
    >>> no
    >>> avail. This problem is driving me nuts because there are many times
    >>> that it
    >>> is quicker to type something in the address box than clicking.
    >>>
    >>> Please help,
    >>> Mark

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    <whew>
    --
    ~PA Bear
    www.{{{[[[kelly&family]]]}}}.mvp

    Kelly wrote:
    > Thank you! :o)

    >> Hi Kelly,
    >>
    >> Good to see you back!
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > If there is no solution then it has to be a bug right?

    I don't know if its a bug -- but it's bleedin' annoying! :-\

    As far as the recycle bin thing goes, mine behaves the same way the rest of
    the folders do -- overwrites on the first or second keystroke...
  24. I have found that the following key fixes the problem:

    IE->Tools->internet options->advanced->settings->browsing

    un check: "Use inline AutoComplete (outside of Internet Explorer)"
  25. I JUST got this problem and it makes my windows explorer almost unusable. The option you mention is NOT checked in IE advanced settings. One clue is the word "Search" pops up just before it clears out what you are typeing. Could it be a third party IE add on that is also affecting windows explorer?
  26. I found the problem.

    In Windows explorer click on Tools->Folder Options->View
    Under the Files and Folders section is "automatically search for netword folders and printers. UN-check this and it is fixed.
  27. Had this issue, it was caused by PANDORA

    Close Pandora for a second, it might just fix itself.
  28. I was wrong, the answer I gave didnt work the next day.
  29. Holy cow. Closing Pandora worked..... Thank you....

    But I like Pandora....!
  30. What is Pandora? I just discovered that I have the same problem, and none of the suggestions in this thread worked as a fix. As far as I know, I don't have anything named Pandora installed on my system
  31. Update: After recapitulating what changes that had been made since before this problem existed, I found out that after disabling some explorer integration features in Tortoise SVN, the problem disappeared for me.
  32. tsully's tip got me 90% there.

    I found the problem.

    In Windows explorer click on Tools->Folder Options->View
    Under the Files and Folders section is "automatically search for netword folders and printers. UN-check this and it is fixed.

    I found that it was already uncheck.

    So I checked it and it apply.

    It fixed it!

    Then I went back in and unchecked it.