Ultrasharp 1900 monitor and DVI

My mate received his new Dell 8300 computer today (nVidia card) along with
the above monitor. It runs fine with the analogue VGA cable but when we
tried the DVI cable we just got a black screen with a VGA "screensaver" and
an orange power button light indicator. It was then difficult to get VGA
working again.

I assume this is the Power Save Mode problem. How reliable is the Dell fix?

Brian
17 answers Last reply
More about ultrasharp 1900 monitor

    It's probably not the DVI Standby issue. When connected to the DVI cable,
    the monitor has to be switched to DVI mode by toggling the input switch. See
    here:

    http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/monitors/1901FP/en/controls.htm

    "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My mate received his new Dell 8300 computer today (nVidia card) along with
    > the above monitor. It runs fine with the analogue VGA cable but when we
    > tried the DVI cable we just got a black screen with a VGA "screensaver"
    and
    > an orange power button light indicator. It was then difficult to get VGA
    > working again.
    >
    > I assume this is the Power Save Mode problem. How reliable is the Dell
    fix?

    > Brian

    Did you switch the monitor to DVI mode (button on front of monitor)?

    "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My mate received his new Dell 8300 computer today (nVidia card) along with
    > the above monitor. It runs fine with the analogue VGA cable but when we
    > tried the DVI cable we just got a black screen with a VGA "screensaver"
    and
    > an orange power button light indicator. It was then difficult to get VGA
    > working again.
    >
    > I assume this is the Power Save Mode problem. How reliable is the Dell
    fix?

    > Brian

    Thanks guys. I didn't know about this switch and there were no instructions.
    I'll let you know in a day or two when I see the computer again.

    Brian

    "lynnr" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > It's probably not the DVI Standby issue. When connected to the DVI cable,
    > the monitor has to be switched to DVI mode by toggling the input switch.
    See
    > here:
    >
    > http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/monitors/1901FP/en/controls.htm
    >

    > "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > My mate received his new Dell 8300 computer today (nVidia card) along
    with
    > > the above monitor. It runs fine with the analogue VGA cable but when we
    > > tried the DVI cable we just got a black screen with a VGA "screensaver"
    > and
    > > an orange power button light indicator. It was then difficult to get VGA
    > > working again.
    > >
    > > I assume this is the Power Save Mode problem. How reliable is the Dell
    > fix?
    > >
    > > Brian

    Is DVI preferable to VGA?

    > Thanks guys. I didn't know about this switch and there were no
    instructions.
    > I'll let you know in a day or two when I see the computer again.
    >
    > Brian
    >

    > "lynnr" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > It's probably not the DVI Standby issue. When connected to the DVI
    cable,
    > > the monitor has to be switched to DVI mode by toggling the input switch.
    > See
    > > here:
    > >
    > > http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/monitors/1901FP/en/controls.htm
    > >

    > > "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > My mate received his new Dell 8300 computer today (nVidia card) along
    > with
    > > > the above monitor. It runs fine with the analogue VGA cable but when
    we
    > > > tried the DVI cable we just got a black screen with a VGA
    "screensaver"
    > > and
    > > > an orange power button light indicator. It was then difficult to get
    VGA
    > > > working again.
    > > >
    > > > I assume this is the Power Save Mode problem. How reliable is the Dell
    > > fix?
    > > >
    > > > Brian

    Yes - clearer, crisper, higher quality image.

    > Is DVI preferable to VGA?
    >

    > "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks guys. I didn't know about this switch and there were no
    > instructions.
    > > I'll let you know in a day or two when I see the computer again.
    > >
    > > Brian
    > >

    > > "lynnr" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > > It's probably not the DVI Standby issue. When connected to the DVI
    > cable,
    > > > the monitor has to be switched to DVI mode by toggling the input
    switch.
    > > See
    > > > here:
    > > >
    > > > http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/monitors/1901FP/en/controls.htm
    > > >

    > > > "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    along
    > > with
    > we
    > "screensaver"
    > > > and
    > VGA

    Dell
    > > > fix?

    Very much so!

    "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is DVI preferable to VGA?
    >

    > "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks guys. I didn't know about this switch and there were no
    > instructions.
    > > I'll let you know in a day or two when I see the computer again.
    > >
    > > Brian
    > >

    > > "lynnr" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > > It's probably not the DVI Standby issue. When connected to the DVI
    > cable,
    > > > the monitor has to be switched to DVI mode by toggling the input
    switch.
    > > See
    > > > here:
    > > >
    > > > http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/monitors/1901FP/en/controls.htm
    > > >

    > > > "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    along
    > > with
    > we
    > "screensaver"
    > > > and
    > VGA

    Dell
    > > > fix?

    After connecting the white cable we pressed the relevant monitor button and
    received a message saying the monitor was in Digital Power Save mode. I
    shutdown the computer, pulled out the power cords, pressed both power
    buttons, connected up again and it works. Many thanks.

    There were no instructions apart from saying how to plug in the cables.
    There was a plastic sticker on the screen saying screen resolution is
    1280*1024 but the monitor was in 1024*768. Another friend whose computer
    arrived last week was in 1024*768 resolution as well. He hasn't tried DVI
    yet.

    At least it looks good.

    Brian

    "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is DVI preferable to VGA?
    >

    > "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks guys. I didn't know about this switch and there were no
    > instructions.
    > > I'll let you know in a day or two when I see the computer again.
    > >
    > > Brian
    > >

    > > "lynnr" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > > It's probably not the DVI Standby issue. When connected to the DVI
    > cable,
    > > > the monitor has to be switched to DVI mode by toggling the input
    switch.
    > > See
    > > > here:
    > > >
    > > > http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/monitors/1901FP/en/controls.htm
    > > >

    > > > "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    along
    > > with
    > we
    > "screensaver"
    > > > and
    > VGA

    Dell
    > > > fix?

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 06:43:02 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Brian K"
    <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >There were no instructions apart from saying how to plug in the cables.

    Did you check to see if the instructions were on one of the CD-ROMs that
    came with the computer? Either a separate CD-ROM just for the monitor, or
    on a disk with various drivers, documents, etc.

    >There was a plastic sticker on the screen saying screen resolution is
    >1280*1024 but the monitor was in 1024*768. Another friend whose computer
    >arrived last week was in 1024*768 resolution as well. He hasn't tried DVI
    >yet.

    Just a guess: that sticker probably shows the optimum resolution for the
    monitor; the actual resolution will be whatever is set up in Windows.

    You can change the resolution from the Display applet in Windows Control
    Panel.

    --
    Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

    Nick's First Law of Computer Virus Complaints:

    Just because your computer is acting strangely or one of your programs
    doesn't work right, this does NOT mean that your computer has a virus.

    Good point. I'll check the CD's.

    As far as resolution is concerned, I would have expected Dell to set it to
    the optimal monitor resolution. Obviously they don't.

    "Nick" <tanstaafl@pobox.com> wrote in message

    > On Thu, 27 May 2004 06:43:02 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Brian K"
    > <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >There were no instructions apart from saying how to plug in the cables.
    >
    > Did you check to see if the instructions were on one of the CD-ROMs that
    > came with the computer? Either a separate CD-ROM just for the monitor, or
    > on a disk with various drivers, documents, etc.
    >
    > >There was a plastic sticker on the screen saying screen resolution is
    > >1280*1024 but the monitor was in 1024*768. Another friend whose computer
    > >arrived last week was in 1024*768 resolution as well. He hasn't tried DVI
    > >yet.
    >
    > Just a guess: that sticker probably shows the optimum resolution for the
    > monitor; the actual resolution will be whatever is set up in Windows.
    >
    > You can change the resolution from the Display applet in Windows Control
    > Panel.
    >
    > --
    > Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>
    >
    > Nick's First Law of Computer Virus Complaints:
    >
    > Just because your computer is acting strangely or one of your programs
    > doesn't work right, this does NOT mean that your computer has a virus.

    The sticker on the LCD was indicating its native resolution (optimal
    resolution). But Windows is where the resolution is set. You should change
    it to what is indicated on the sticker for best viewing. Might also want to
    check out Clear Type as well.

    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/default.htm?gssnb=1

    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/cleartypeactivate.htm?gssnb=1

    > After connecting the white cable we pressed the relevant monitor button
    and
    > received a message saying the monitor was in Digital Power Save mode. I
    > shutdown the computer, pulled out the power cords, pressed both power
    > buttons, connected up again and it works. Many thanks.
    >
    > There were no instructions apart from saying how to plug in the cables.
    > There was a plastic sticker on the screen saying screen resolution is
    > 1280*1024 but the monitor was in 1024*768. Another friend whose computer
    > arrived last week was in 1024*768 resolution as well. He hasn't tried DVI
    > yet.
    >
    > At least it looks good.
    >
    > Brian

    IIRC - my Dimension 8300 with the 19" FP came factory defaulted with Windows
    generic plug and play monitor. I had to install the 19" FP driver. Can't
    remember which CD it was on, but perhaps there was a separate CD for the
    monitor, with instructions, etc. The driver would be there.

    I like Clear Type.

    "snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote in message
    > The sticker on the LCD was indicating its native resolution (optimal
    > resolution). But Windows is where the resolution is set. You should
    change
    > it to what is indicated on the sticker for best viewing. Might also want
    > check out Clear Type as well.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/default.htm?gssnb=1

    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/cleartypeactivate.htm?gssnb=1

    How did you know the driver wasn't installed? (was it Display Properties,
    Settings, Advanced, Monitor)
    What difference did the driver make?

    > IIRC - my Dimension 8300 with the 19" FP came factory defaulted with
    Windows
    > generic plug and play monitor. I had to install the 19" FP driver. Can't
    > remember which CD it was on, but perhaps there was a separate CD for the
    > monitor, with instructions, etc. The driver would be there.

    "snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote in message
    > The sticker on the LCD was indicating its native resolution (optimal
    > resolution). But Windows is where the resolution is set. You should
    > change
    > it to what is indicated on the sticker for best viewing. Might also want
    > check out Clear Type as well.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/default.htm?gssnb=1
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/cleartypeactivate.htm?gssnb=1

    Does Clear Type work with a analog connection or DVI (digital) only?

    Craig

    "Craig" <nospam@nospam.for-me> wrote in message

    > "snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote in message
    > > The sticker on the LCD was indicating its native resolution (optimal
    > > resolution). But Windows is where the resolution is set. You should
    > > change
    > > it to what is indicated on the sticker for best viewing. Might also
    want
    > > check out Clear Type as well.
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/default.htm?gssnb=1

    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/cleartypeactivate.htm?gssnb=1

    > Does Clear Type work with a analog connection or DVI (digital) only?
    >
    > Craig

    Sure, don't see why not. Says it also helps CRT displays a little too.

    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/WhatIsClearType.mspx

    I use it on my CRT monitors.

    Brian

    In article <HqItc.1339$Tw.1329@lakeread06>, nospam@nospam.for-me says...

    > "snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote in message
    > > The sticker on the LCD was indicating its native resolution (optimal
    > > resolution). But Windows is where the resolution is set. You should
    > > change
    > > it to what is indicated on the sticker for best viewing. Might also want
    > > check out Clear Type as well.
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/default.htm?gssnb=1
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/cleartypeactivate.htm?gssnb=1
    > >

    > Does Clear Type work with a analog connection or DVI (digital) only?
    >
    > Craig

    I use clear type on a 21" Sony CRT, where it is supposed to make
    "minimal" difference. I can definitely see a difference and I love it.

    Louise

Dell DVI Monitors Computers