XP Pro v XP Home

Hi

I would normally always specify machines with XP Pro on them. However we
need to buy some new laptops for some staff who work away from our office,
and the only spec as supplied is with XP Home.

These machines only occasionnaly have to physically connect to our network
in the office, but will always have to PN into our servers via the Internet.

I am not really sure what the difference were between XP Pro and XP Home.

Can anyone tell me what XP Pro has that XP Home doesn't , or point me in the
right direction

Thanks

Alex

In your case, XP Home will not join a domain, so if that is a requirement, then you need to go with XP Pro.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Alex H" <AlexH@nospammer.mismet.co.uk> wrote in message news:eDPN1hWtFHA.2008@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi
>
> I would normally always specify machines with XP Pro on them. However we
> need to buy some new laptops for some staff who work away from our office,
> and the only spec as supplied is with XP Home.
>
> These machines only occasionnaly have to physically connect to our network
> in the office, but will always have to PN into our servers via the Internet.
>
> I am not really sure what the difference were between XP Pro and XP Home.
>
> Can anyone tell me what XP Pro has that XP Home doesn't , or point me in the
> right direction
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex

Windows XP Home Edition Comparison Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

Top 10 Reasons Windows XP Professional Is Right for Small Business
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyupgrade/sorgtop10.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Alex H" wrote:

| Hi
|
| I would normally always specify machines with XP Pro on them. However we
| need to buy some new laptops for some staff who work away from our office,
| and the only spec as supplied is with XP Home.
|
| These machines only occasionnaly have to physically connect to our network
| in the office, but will always have to PN into our servers via the Internet.
|
| I am not really sure what the difference were between XP Pro and XP Home.
|
| Can anyone tell me what XP Pro has that XP Home doesn't , or point me in the
| right direction
|
| Thanks
|
| Alex

Thanks Doug and Carey - they must connect to our domain so will have to
revert back to Pro.
One other question if I may - is MCE version Pro with some added Multimedia
functionality.
My new laptop can be upmarket so was thinking of one with MCE pre-installed,
but needs to give me all the functionality of XP Pro

Thanks

Alex

> Thanks Doug and Carey - they must connect to our domain so will have to
> revert back to Pro.
> One other question if I may - is MCE version Pro with some added
> Multimedia functionality.
> My new laptop can be upmarket so was thinking of one with MCE
> pre-installed, but needs to give me all the functionality of XP Pro
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex

MCE is a superset of XP Pro, but it cannot join a domain (strange!).

Bobby

"Alex H" <AlexH@nospammer.mismet.co.uk> wrote in message
| Thanks Doug and Carey - they must connect to our domain so will have to
| revert back to Pro.
| One other question if I may - is MCE version Pro with some added
Multimedia
| functionality.
| My new laptop can be upmarket so was thinking of one with MCE
pre-installed,
| but needs to give me all the functionality of XP Pro
|
| Thanks
|
| Alex

Windows Media Center (2005) can only be joined to a domain during
installation. If it's preinstalled you may be out of luck unless it comes
with a genuine XP Media Center disc and you start fresh and reinstall it.

For more detailed information you might post to
microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter . Regulars there are much more
knowledgeable than I on domain environments.

--
Doug

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Additionally, MCE 2005 won't cache logon credentials. There are work arounds and a "hack" is out there that will allow an MCE 2005 machine to join a domain. But, if these are work computers, I personally would skip the MCE edition and go with Pro. After all, they're being paid to work, not watch TV.

> "Alex H" <AlexH@nospammer.mismet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Thanks Doug and Carey - they must connect to our domain so will have to
>> revert back to Pro.
>> One other question if I may - is MCE version Pro with some added
>> Multimedia functionality.
>> My new laptop can be upmarket so was thinking of one with MCE
>> pre-installed, but needs to give me all the functionality of XP Pro
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Alex
>>

> MCE is a superset of XP Pro, but it cannot join a domain (strange!).
>
> Bobby

I think it has something to do with the connectivity to remote MCE devices.
Maybe a licensing thing. If you upgrade from MCE 2004 to 2005, you can
connect to a domain, though. That function was lost with 2005, but it stays
in place with an upgrade. Stranger still.

Note, it only stays in place with an upgrade. If you later do a clean install, you lose it again.