can't change monitor resolution

Hi.

My windows XP was giving me fatal errors upon loading, (I could never get
past a frozen screen). So I decided to re-install it. I have a Dell PC,
and I used the disk that came with the machine. Everything looks fine,
except that when I start Windows, I can only get the lowest resolution. I
followed the directions in help, (go to control panel, display, et cetera)
but the directions mention that on monitor type I must clcik on the
"properties" tab. In my machine, the tab is not clickable. I went also
to the My System dialog, and tried to see what the drivers for the system
are. I noticed that there are some conflicts, including one for the video
card (or something of the sort. I am going from memory as I am typing
this at work). I tried to get a proper driver, but neither the Windows XP
cd nor the drivers and diagnostic cd that came with the computer seem to
have them. Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Xis

More about change monitor resolution

    Dell PCs come with a Drivers and Utilities disk. Check it for drivers for
    your video card. If not, you can go to Dell.com and download the drivers.
    --
    XP-WNP
    Today is the first day of the

    <ortigueira@juno.com> wrote in message
[...]

    ======================
    1) go to the Dell site with the service code from the computer case, and use
    their tools to identify the hardware and download the appropriate drivers.

    2) Get Everest personal from www.lavalys.com and use it to generate a
    report, which will list the actual video hardware. Use Google to find the
    appropriate drivers.

    3) there may be a 3rd CD that has the drivers.

    HTH
    -pk

    Hi, I just had the same problem, namely, the Properties button was grayed out
    and thus inoperative. In my case, I had an intel MB and had to load the intel
    CD that came with the MB. Once I ran this CD, everything worked fine.
    --
    Jim H.

    "Patrick Keenan" wrote:

    > <ortigueira@juno.com> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > My windows XP was giving me fatal errors upon loading, (I could never get
    > past a frozen screen). So I decided to re-install it. I have a Dell PC,
    > and I used the disk that came with the machine. Everything looks fine,
    > except that when I start Windows, I can only get the lowest resolution. I
    > followed the directions in help, (go to control panel, display, et cetera)
    > but the directions mention that on monitor type I must clcik on the
    > "properties" tab. In my machine, the tab is not clickable. I went also
    > to the My System dialog, and tried to see what the drivers for the system
    > are. I noticed that there are some conflicts, including one for the video
    > card (or something of the sort. I am going from memory as I am typing
    > this at work). I tried to get a proper driver, but neither the Windows XP
    > cd nor the drivers and diagnostic cd that came with the computer seem to
    > have them. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Xis
    > ======================
    > 1) go to the Dell site with the service code from the computer case, and use
    > their tools to identify the hardware and download the appropriate drivers.
    >
    > 2) Get Everest personal from www.lavalys.com and use it to generate a
    > report, which will list the actual video hardware. Use Google to find the
    > appropriate drivers.
    >
    > 3) there may be a 3rd CD that has the drivers.
    >
    > HTH
    > -pk

    Thanks. As I mentioned before, it doesn't appear that the Drivers and
    Utilities disk has the proper driver. Or perhaps I was not able to locate
    it properly. I'll give it another try.

    One more question, though. My experience with drivers in windows XP is
    that you plug something new and the machine recognizes it and locates (or
    asks you for) the driver. What is the easiest way to install a driver for
    a device that is already attached to the system?

    Thanks again

    Xis

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:15:03 -0400, Byte <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    > Dell PCs come with a Drivers and Utilities disk. Check it for drivers
    > for
    > your video card. If not, you can go to Dell.com and download the
    > drivers.

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:55:29 -0400, Jim H.
    <JimH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Hi, I just had the same problem, namely, the Properties button was
    > grayed out
    > and thus inoperative. In my case, I had an intel MB and had to load the
    > intel
    > CD that came with the MB. Once I ran this CD, everything worked fine.

    Thanks, Jim (and all others). It appears that all of you are pointing me
    in the same direction. Let's see if I can get this fixed. I did try to
    run my Drivers CD and it said it loaded things, but that didn't do the
    trick. Perhaps I should unplug all the current peripherals (printer,
    CD/RW, et cetera) and that might help when I try again.

    Xis

    If it was something besides the video card, you could remove it and reboot.

    Problem with the Dell disks is that sometimes they have a fairly wide range
    of devices so they can ship the same disk with a greater number of systems.
    You're going to need to find out exactly which drivers you need for your
    computer. You can also go online (if you can get there) and get updated
    drivers from the Dell site. You may need to take the video card out and look
    at it to see what card it is so you get the right drivers.

    After the reinstall, the first thing you should have loaded was the chipset
    drivers. These are the drivers for the motherboard devices like the AGP
    controller, IDE, etc, and sometimes other things won't load properly until
    the chipset drivers are loaded. Sometimes it works fine to do the chipset
    drivers later, but it's recommended to do them first. Sometimes once you
    load the chipset drivers, everything else re-detects, so this could solve
    your problem.

    wrote:

    > Dell PCs come with a Drivers and Utilities disk. Check it for drivers
    > for
    > your video card. If not, you can go to Dell.com and download the
    > drivers.

    <ortigueira@juno.com> wrote in message
    Hi.

    My windows XP was giving me fatal errors upon loading, (I could never get
    past a frozen screen). So I decided to re-install it. I have a Dell PC,
    and I used the disk that came with the machine. Everything looks fine,
    except that when I start Windows, I can only get the lowest resolution. I
    followed the directions in help, (go to control panel, display, et cetera)
    but the directions mention that on monitor type I must clcik on the
    "properties" tab. In my machine, the tab is not clickable. I went also
    to the My System dialog, and tried to see what the drivers for the system
    are. I noticed that there are some conflicts, including one for the video
    card (or something of the sort. I am going from memory as I am typing
    this at work). I tried to get a proper driver, but neither the Windows XP
    cd nor the drivers and diagnostic cd that came with the computer seem to
    have them. Any suggestions?

    Many thanks

    Xis

    You need to load the CD which contains Dell's drivers.
    The ones on the Windows CD loads generic drivers which act just like that.
    Jim

    Many thanks to all who replied and pointed me in the correct direction.

    From this I learned that it is not a good idea to work on a computer
    problem late at night, especially after I was already frustrated trying to
    solve the problem that made me reinstall. When I thought I was already
    installing the drivers, all I was doing was installing the program that
    installs the drivers. Yesterday, after I came from work, it took me five
    minutes to do the job. Nevertheless, I doubt I would have tried to do it
    again if you guys hadn't insisted that that's what needed to be done.

    Thanks again

    Xis

Resolution Windows XP