Folder list in left pane when using open or save dialogue

On XP Pro I used to have it set up so that when I opened or saved a file
(regardless of the program being used) it would show the folder list on
the left side of the open/save file window (like in Windows Explorer when
you do a folder list in the left pane). Now, it only shows certain
groupings like My Documents, My Computer, My Network, etc. in the left
pane. How do I get folders back?
2 answers Last reply
More about folder list left pane open save dialogue

    It's called the Places bar.

    Places bar
    [[Provides shortcuts to places on your computer or the network from which
    you can open a file, such as the History folder, the desktop, or My Network
    Places. When you click a location, it will appear in Look in, and the files
    and folders in the selected location will be listed at the right.]]

    Use TweakUI, Edit the registry or use System Policy Editor. Or if Office
    XP, scroll down.

    Edit the Places bar locations in Open Save As common dialog boxes
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/PlacesBar.htm

    This works for 2002 also.
    How to Customize the Places Bar Word 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;205041

    Microsoft Office XP
    HOW TO Customize the My Places Bar in the Open and Save As Dialog Boxes
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282087

    Customize the Places Bar in Office XP
    http://www.petri.co.il/customize_the_places_bar_in_office_xp.htm

    +++

    TweakUI
    [+] Common Dialogs
    Places bar

    Places bar
     Custom places bar

    Places bar
    [[This enables changing the location when a common dialog is opened. You can
    use the default values or you can choose a custom location to open when a
    common dialog box is opened.]]

    Common Dialog Boxes
    [[The common dialog boxes, such as the Save As dialog box, display the
    places bar on the left side. These are shortcuts to common folders, which
    make getting around much easier. By default, you see the History, Documents,
    Desktop, Favorites, and My Network Places folders there. You can customize
    the folders that appear in the places bar by using the Common Dialogs
    category in Tweak UI.]]

    Download TweakUI here >>>

    Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

    Tweak UI
    TweakUI.exe
    ===

    Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
    http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

    +++

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\comdlg3
    2\PlacesBar
    Place0
    Place1
    Place2
    Place3
    Place4

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:pan.2005.09.09.18.25.12.759969@gmail.com,
    Curtis Vaughan <cavaughan@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > On XP Pro I used to have it set up so that when I opened or saved a file
    > (regardless of the program being used) it would show the folder list on
    > the left side of the open/save file window (like in Windows Explorer when
    > you do a folder list in the left pane). Now, it only shows certain
    > groupings like My Documents, My Computer, My Network, etc. in the left
    > pane. How do I get folders back?

    You are confusing things. Save As has always defaulted to My Recent Docs,
    Desktop, My Docs, My Computer, My Network.

    What you see in the right pane depends on where you have saved last.
    Example if you have Local Disk listed you we see what you are speaking of
    and etc.

    Save is a totally different story.

    Info on customizing the Places Bar:

    For Pro:

    1. Run the Local Group Policy Editor (Start, then Run, then gpedit.msc)
    2. Open the following policy:

    For Pro:

    Go to Start/Run and type in: gpedit.msc then navigate to:

    User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/ Windows
    Explorer/Common Open File Dialog/Items Displayed in Places Bar.

    Choose Enabled then paste or type the link to the folders that you want
    listed.

    Or...

    Add Folders to the "Save As" Dialog (Places Bar) Line 118

    Or use TweakUI/Common Dialogs

    To hide the Common Places Bar: For Pro go to Start/Run and type in:
    gpedit.msc. User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows
    Components/Windows Explorer/Common Open Places/Hide the common dialog places
    bar.

    Note: To see the difference between the views, open Notepad and choose
    File/Open before and after applying Enabled.

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    In memory of those lost during Katrina &
    Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.

    "Curtis Vaughan" <cavaughan@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > On XP Pro I used to have it set up so that when I opened or saved a file
    > (regardless of the program being used) it would show the folder list on
    > the left side of the open/save file window (like in Windows Explorer when
    > you do a folder list in the left pane). Now, it only shows certain
    > groupings like My Documents, My Computer, My Network, etc. in the left
    > pane. How do I get folders back?

Windows XP