Tech: Doodle Bug won't go to "game over"

Last response: in Video Games
August 7, 2005 1:16:41 AM

Hi.

I recently picked up a Williams Doodle Bug.

After replacing the fried 10's score reel coil that was blowing one of
the fuses, I next found that the game was in an odd state. Once you
turn the machine on and hit the left flipper button to turn on the GI
lights -- the flippers work, the targets score, but the game is stuck
on ball "zero" and the start button won't reset the game even though
there are credits available.

I then found that if you hit the coin relay manually, the game then
starts up and resets fine, and appears to play fine, but when you drain
the last ball, it won't go to "game over" and ends up back in that
weird state.

The game over relay appears to trip properly when the last ball is
drained, and it seems like at least some of the playfield lights go
out, but the flippers still flip and the start button won't work to
start a new game.

Any guesses? Misadjusted switch(es) on the game over relay? Something
else?

Thanks in advance.
-- KEENE

More about : tech doodle bug game

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 11:11:10 AM

check the contacts on the ball count stepper, my hot line did that and
it was a bad finger on the stepper

Ctsteps5

owner of
71 Bally Expressway, 72 Williams Superstar,
74 Williams Star Pool, 75 Gottlieb Fast Draw.

Moderator of EM Pinball Group
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/empinbalmachines/
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 1:04:02 PM

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, that was part of the problem. It turns out it was two unrelated
issues masquerading as one.

The first was that the wiper on the ball count stepper that sends power
to the tilt, game over, and match lights was bent up and wasn't making
contact properly.

The second was that the switch on the game over relay that sends power
to the playfield was bent improperly so that it was always on.

I also found that I had another burnt coil -- the match unit stepper.

Sigh. Getting closer... :)

Game still won't start up a game from the start button, but will if I
manually activate the coin relay. Any guesses on that?

Thanks for the help!
-- KEENE
August 9, 2005 1:20:42 PM

credits on the credit wheel? jumper set for free play? start there

Ctsteps5

owner of
71 Bally Expressway, 72 Williams Superstar,
74 Williams Star Pool, 75 Gottlieb Fast Draw.

Moderator of EM Pinball Group
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/empinbalmachines/
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 10:52:03 PM

Yup, thanks.

Even though it was showing credits, someone had borked the credit
wheel. I had to remove and reset the "credit limit" bar.

Now I just have to wait for my new coil to arrive... :(
-- KEENE
!