I'm trying to install XP service pack 3 and get the message below

The feature you are trying to use is is on a network rescouce that is
unavailable

Click on ok to try again or enter an alternative path to a folder containing
the installation package PRO.MSI in the box below

Z:\msoft\officeXP.Professional\

When clicking on ok again it tells me:
The path cannot be found and to check I have access to the location

Can someone point me in the correct direction where I'm going wrong or what
to do

Many Thanks

"=?Utf-8?B?R2lsbHk=?=" <Gilly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

Office Xp requires acess to the original install media to update. In your
case, your computer was connected to a network and the install was done
from a network location mapped as Z:. you need to connect to the network
to install the update.

> I'm trying to install XP service pack 3 and get the message below
>
> The feature you are trying to use is is on a network rescouce that is
> unavailable
>
> Click on ok to try again or enter an alternative path to a folder
> containing the installation package PRO.MSI in the box below
>
> Z:\msoft\officeXP.Professional\
>
> When clicking on ok again it tells me:
> The path cannot be found and to check I have access to the location
>
> Can someone point me in the correct direction where I'm going wrong or
> what to do
>
> Many Thanks

Is there anyway around it except for connecting it to the network which I
have no longer access to.

Thanks again for your help

Gilly <Gilly@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I'm trying to install XP service pack 3 and get the message
> below

There is no Windows XP Service Pack 3. SP2 is the latest.

If you're thinking of Service Pack 3 for *Office* XP, and you
don't get an answer here, you might want to try an Office
newsgroup instead of this Windows XP one.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> The feature you are trying to use is is on a network rescouce
> that is
> unavailable
>
> Click on ok to try again or enter an alternative path to a
> folder
> containing the installation package PRO.MSI in the box below
>
> Z:\msoft\officeXP.Professional\
>
> When clicking on ok again it tells me:
> The path cannot be found and to check I have access to the
> location
>
> Can someone point me in the correct direction where I'm going
> wrong
> or what to do
>
> Many Thanks

Thanks Ken

I must of read it wrong I thought it was windows XP, Ill try the office
group unless you know a way around it.

Thanks again

In news:1DAD5E65-D9C0-4BB5-9D7C-3F526373C35B@microsoft.com,
Gilly <Gilly@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Thanks Ken
>
> I must of read it wrong I thought it was windows XP, Ill try
> the
> office group unless you know a way around it.
>
> Thanks again

You're welcome, Gilly.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>
>> In news:C2F63229-081F-4F17-9C21-1B689C060E18@microsoft.com,
>> Gilly <Gilly@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>>> I'm trying to install XP service pack 3 and get the message
>>> below
>>

>> There is no Windows XP Service Pack 3. SP2 is the latest.
>>
>> If you're thinking of Service Pack 3 for *Office* XP, and you
>> don't get an answer here, you might want to try an Office
>> newsgroup instead of this Windows XP one.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>>> The feature you are trying to use is is on a network rescouce
>>> that is
>>> unavailable
>>>
>>> Click on ok to try again or enter an alternative path to a
>>> folder
>>> containing the installation package PRO.MSI in the box below
>>>
>>> Z:\msoft\officeXP.Professional\
>>>
>>> When clicking on ok again it tells me:
>>> The path cannot be found and to check I have access to the
>>> location
>>>
>>> Can someone point me in the correct direction where I'm going
>>> wrong
>>> or what to do
>>>
>>> Many Thanks

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 12:11:41 -0700 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Gilly favored us with...
> I'm trying to install XP service pack 3

Either you have a time machine or someone is spoofing you. There is
no Service Pack 3 for XP.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."

Stan Brown wrote:
> Either you have a time machine or someone is spoofing you. There is
> no Service Pack 3 for XP.

Reading through the entirity of the thread, Gilly pointed out they made a
mistake and meant Office XP Service Pack 3.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

This site explains how to do it but it shows SP1. Just replace SP1 in the
instructions with SP3
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/raew/xp/offxp.htm
Before you begin anything, you'll need to have a few things:

1.. Office XP CD
2.. You will need the Administrative Update of Service Pack 3. It can be
downloaded from
http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/1/F/91FFC6B2-0745-470B-8DD3-1285b85db12b/OfficeXpSp3-kb832671-fullfile-enu.exe
(58.9mb)
If you do it right it does work, I have done it. There is also a very simple
way of doing it by command line but I can't find the command right now. If I
do I will let you know.

"Gilly" <Gilly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to install XP service pack 3 and get the message below
>
> The feature you are trying to use is is on a network rescouce that is
> unavailable
>
> Click on ok to try again or enter an alternative path to a folder
> containing
> the installation package PRO.MSI in the box below
>
> Z:\msoft\officeXP.Professional\
>
> When clicking on ok again it tells me:
> The path cannot be found and to check I have access to the location
>
> Can someone point me in the correct direction where I'm going wrong or
> what
> to do
>
> Many Thanks

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 22:23:08 -0500 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Shenan Stanley favored us with...
> Gillywrote:
> > I'm trying to install XP service pack 3
>
> Stan Brown wrote:
> > Either you have a time machine or someone is spoofing you. There is
> > no Service Pack 3 for XP.
>
> Reading through the entirity of the thread, Gilly pointed out they made a
> mistake and meant Office XP Service Pack 3.

Sorry, my crystal ball was in the shop.

Stan Brown wrote:
> Sorry, my crystal ball was in the shop.

It was entirely possible to miss it as large as the thread with this title
has grown.
Could also be that if you do not post directly to the MSNews groups but to a
replicated partner, the post may not have reached you yet or something.

At 5:13PM on 9/9/2005 "gilly" stated, "I must of read it wrong I thought it
was windows XP, Ill try the office
group unless you know a way around it."

At 10:13PM on 9/9/2005 you responded above with the "No SP3 for Windows XP".

No harm, no foul. It was just that I almost did the same thing before I saw
the small top-posted response above as I was reading through. Easy to miss!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:19:25 -0500 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Shenan Stanley favored us with...
> Could also be that if you do not post directly to the MSNews groups but to a
> replicated partner, the post may not have reached you yet or something.

Headers will show that I read and post from news.individual.net.
I did see the correction to Office SP3 from XP SP3 after I posted.

What I'm not clear on is why I'm being rebuked for answering the
question the person asked. Seems to me the fault (if you want to
assign fault) lies with the person who didn't post the question s/he
actually wanted answered.

Stan Brown wrote:
> Headers will show that I read and post from news.individual.net.
> I did see the correction to Office SP3 from XP SP3 after I posted.
>
> What I'm not clear on is why I'm being rebuked for answering the
> question the person asked. Seems to me the fault (if you want to
> assign fault) lies with the person who didn't post the question s/he
> actually wanted answered.

Rebuked...
Hmm - I do not see that. I am not reprimanding you in any way - nor can
anyone actually do that on a newsgroup such as this.

I am just pointing out something you missed. No "fault" assigned anywhere.
Sure - the OP made a newbie mistake of not knowing exactly what they were
speaking of - but if they did - they may not have asked in the first place.
All I pointed out to you was that they had already realized their mistake
and if you could provide more assistance for them you could now since they
had previously corrected their mistake by changing it to Office XP SP3
instead of Windows XP SP3.

As you say, you saw after you posted they had meant something else. Both of
us are guilty of not providing further help - so I will try to correct that
here.

Gilly,

You should attempt to download the full Office XP Service Pack 3 file from
this site:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdate/
(Specifically : http://snipurl.com/hlij )

Once obtained, try running this and installing from the local file. It will
likely ask you for your original installation medai - so go ahead and have
that in place.

Hope that helps!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 14:33:54 -0400, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:19:25 -0500 in
>microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Shenan Stanley favored us with...
>> Could also be that if you do not post directly to the MSNews groups but to a
>> replicated partner, the post may not have reached you yet or something.
>
>Headers will show that I read and post from news.individual.net.
>I did see the correction to Office SP3 from XP SP3 after I posted.
>
>What I'm not clear on is why I'm being rebuked for answering the
>question the person asked. Seems to me the fault (if you want to
>assign fault) lies with the person who didn't post the question s/he
>actually wanted answered.

Gawd, I love the word "rebuked." So seldom do I have the chance to
use it. My congratulations on your good fortune!

"=?Utf-8?B?R2lsbHk=?=" <Gilly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

Assuming you have an install CD, search the registry for the path it's
looking for, and change it to the path to your CD. If you don't have a
copy of the install media, you're SOL.

> Is there anyway around it except for connecting it to the network
> which I have no longer access to.
>
> Thanks again for your help
>
> "Asher_N" wrote:
>
>> "=?Utf-8?B?R2lsbHk=?=" <Gilly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>
>> Office Xp requires acess to the original install media to update. In
>> your case, your computer was connected to a network and the install
>> was done from a network location mapped as Z:. you need to connect to
>> the network to install the update.
>>

>> > I'm trying to install XP service pack 3 and get the message below
>> >
>> > The feature you are trying to use is is on a network rescouce that
>> > is unavailable
>> >
>> > Click on ok to try again or enter an alternative path to a folder
>> > containing the installation package PRO.MSI in the box below
>> >
>> > Z:\msoft\officeXP.Professional\
>> >
>> > When clicking on ok again it tells me:
>> > The path cannot be found and to check I have access to the location
>> >
>> > Can someone point me in the correct direction where I'm going wrong
>> > or what to do
>> >
>> > Many Thanks

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 13:55:27 -0500 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Shenan Stanley favored us with...
> Hmm - I do not see that. I am not reprimanding you in any way - nor can
> anyone actually do that on a newsgroup such as this.
>
> I am just pointing out something you missed. No "fault" assigned anywhere.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I do want to acknowledge what you said.
:)