Recycler

Hi Does anyone know what a folder on my WinXP OS drive called 'Recycler' is?
It only appears when I unhide the hidden OS system files. Also, it puts a 0 byte file with an icon on my desktop named 'Have a nice day', but it has no file extension so I can't delete it. The 'recycler' folder has a huge long number (36 digits) and that is all. I cannot delete the folder from the tree or even copy the #. No big deal, but I'm curious...........Thanks. deango
7 answers Last reply
More about recycler

    Why would you want to delete your Recycle Bin?

    %systemdrive%\RECYCLER\Your SID # is YOUR Recycle Bin.

    Similar to...
    C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-1708537768-1580436667-1202660629-1003

    The Recycler folder is used only on NTFS formatted drives. It's a Hidden
    folder.

    %systemdrive%\RECYCLER
    With at least one folder
    SID #
    for every user on the machine.

    If there is only one user, then there is only one
    SID # folder. That SID # folder is the Recycle Bin.

    Security identifiers (SIDs) are numeric values that identify a user or
    group.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uz5OZKXtFHA.2892@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    deango <Deango@nospamtoday.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi Does anyone know what a folder on my WinXP OS drive called
    > 'Recycler' is?
    > It only appears when I unhide the hidden OS system files. Also, it puts
    > a 0 byte file with an icon on my desktop named 'Have a nice day', but it
    > has no file extension so I can't delete it. The 'recycler' folder has a
    > huge long number (36 digits) and that is all. I cannot delete the
    > folder from the tree or even copy the #. No big deal, but I'm
    > curious...........Thanks. deango

    This folder is where items that are sent to the Recycle Bin go for temporary storage (until you empty the bin or restore files/folders). The sub folders (with the long numbers for names) are the individual folders for user's on the computer, where their Recycle Bin contents are stored. By default, these are protected folders and you don't have access to them, via the usual GUI. You can adjust the file/folder permissions, so that you can open these folders. See Help and Support for File and Folder Permissions.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "deango" <Deango@nospamtoday.com> wrote in message news:uz5OZKXtFHA.2892@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    Hi Does anyone know what a folder on my WinXP OS drive called 'Recycler' is?
    It only appears when I unhide the hidden OS system files. Also, it puts a 0 byte file with an icon on my desktop named 'Have a nice day', but it has no file extension so I can't delete it. The 'recycler' folder has a huge long number (36 digits) and that is all. I cannot delete the folder from the tree or even copy the #. No big deal, but I'm curious...........Thanks. deango

    I just wanted to get rid of the two 0 byte files on my desktop that don't have file extensions.
    One says Have a nice day.........and the other says Kiss my.............I thought they might be something I didn't want in my OS..............But neither of your responses (although appreciated) seem to address that particular problem............Thanks. deango
    Wesley Vogel wrote:
    > Why would you want to delete your Recycle Bin?

    I just reread your first post. Recycler does not put these zero byte files
    on your Desktop.

    What happens when you highlight each file one at a time and hit the Delete
    key?

    Any error message?

    Have you updated your antivirus software and run a full system scan?

    Have you updated your antispyware apps and run scans?

    MANUALLY DELETING STUBBORN FILES
    http://aumha.org/a/stubborn.php

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    Delete A File That Is Seemingly "Undeletable"
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm

    How To Delete "Undeletable" Files And Folders In XP
    http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#8

    "Access Denied" Error Message When You Try to Delete a File
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=298345

    You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320081

    You Cannot Delete a File or a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320081

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23dI$m9atFHA.3628@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    deango <Deango@nospamtoday.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I just wanted to get rid of the two 0 byte files on my desktop that don't
    > have file extensions.
    > One says Have a nice day.........and the other says Kiss
    > my.............I thought they might be something I didn't want in my
    > OS..............But neither of your responses (although appreciated) seem
    > to address that particular problem............Thanks. deango
    > Wesley Vogel wrote:
    >> Why would you want to delete your Recycle Bin?

    It should never be a hidden file nor have an icon with that name. Start by
    running this combo:

    Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

    Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    In memory of those lost during Katrina &
    Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.

    "deango" <Deango@nospamtoday.com> wrote in message
    Hi Does anyone know what a folder on my WinXP OS drive called 'Recycler'
    is?
    It only appears when I unhide the hidden OS system files. Also, it puts a 0
    byte file with an icon on my desktop named 'Have a nice day', but it has no
    file extension so I can't delete it. The 'recycler' folder has a huge long
    number (36 digits) and that is all. I cannot delete the folder from the
    tree or even copy the #. No big deal, but I'm curious...........Thanks.
    deango

    Hi Wes. In both cases the error box says: 'Cannot delete': Cannot read from the source file or disk".
    I have tried right clicking and renaming the file but I get the same message. Also tried to delete in 'safe mode'..............
    And I have done what Kelly suggests in the next message.........Many, many times.....I try to keep a very clean machine and run all the programs every few days. The most important ones update automatically.
    I use Avast Anti-Virus, also scan with EWIDO, cccleaner, SpywareBlaster and Spyware Guard...............I will look at all of your online suggestions
    ..Regards. deango
    Wesley Vogel wrote:
    > I just reread your first post. Recycler does not put these zero byte
    > files on your Desktop.
    >
    > What happens when you highlight each file one at a time and hit the
    > Delete key?
    >
    > Any error message?
    >
    > Have you updated your antivirus software and run a full system scan?
    >
    > Have you updated your antispyware apps and run scans?
    >
    > MANUALLY DELETING STUBBORN FILES
    > http://aumha.org/a/stubborn.php
    >
    > How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
    >
    > Delete A File That Is Seemingly "Undeletable"
    > http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm
    >
    > How To Delete "Undeletable" Files And Folders In XP
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#8
    >
    > "Access Denied" Error Message When You Try to Delete a File
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=298345
    >
    > You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320081
    >
    > You Cannot Delete a File or a Folder
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320081
    >

    > In news:%23dI$m9atFHA.3628@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > deango <Deango@nospamtoday.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > I just wanted to get rid of the two 0 byte files on my desktop that
    > > don't have file extensions.
    > > One says Have a nice day.........and the other says Kiss
    > > my.............I thought they might be something I didn't want in
    > > my OS..............But neither of your responses (although
    > > appreciated) seem to address that particular
    > > problem............Thanks. deango
    > > Wesley Vogel wrote:
    > > > Why would you want to delete your Recycle Bin?

    Look at some of the links in my previous post about deleting ....

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User