Verizon DSL (hi-speed vs low-speed)

Can some DSL-knowledgeable person please explain
the difference between Verizon's 'high-speed DSL' and
'low-speed DSL' packages?

Here's the details: Go to http://getconnected.com/
and choose 'High-speed Internet' on the left. You'll
then get a dialog box, where you must enter a phone-number
street-address and zip-code.

(Use mine if you want:)
(941)355-2788
5828 Lakeside Woods Cir
34243
(That zip-code happens to be in Sarasota Florida)

You might have to do this TWICE before you get a full LIST of
ISP providers.

The salient point is that, in my area at least, Verizon seems NOW
to offer both a slower-speed DSL option (which only promises 768K-bits out
and
128K-bits in), for $14.95 per month (after introductory free days
etc expire). They also offer a higher-speed DSL (which promises 3M-bits out
and
768K-bits in) for a steady $29.95 a month (after intro free days/months
expire).

This first first (lower-speed) option has a one-year price guarantee on it.

What I'm really wanting to know/understand is whether this is just a
marketing
difference (short term pricing offer) or whether there are underlying
cabling
differences (e.g. need new fiber vs older copper-pairs either in my
residential
neighborhood and/or into my residence to qualify for the faster high-speed
DSL
service?

I suspect his might be a marketing game, because I know of a few friends in
this local area, all of whom have only copper-pairs coming into their
houses.
Yet, they are all paying for the 'high-speed DSL' plan. (Because none of
them
had ever heard of this apparently-newer low-speed DSL plan.)

What's up with this low-speed plan? (e.g. When did Verizon start offering
it, etc.)

[Right now I'm a Comcast-broadband customer who is considering downgrading
to DSL and I'm tempted to downgrade all the way to 'low-speed' depending on
what this research reveals.]

Cheers...

Dave

Andre

Old timer alert: I first got DSL from Bell Atlantic at which time the max
was 640/90. Now at 3000/768.

The low-speed is a new plan just made available is the last couple of weeks.
Shouldn't be a problem with the low-speed; but, the are no guaranteed speeds
for residential DSL. And it is subject to distance limitations. The
differences are marketing based - there are no differences in the user
setup/equipment.

Suggest you visit: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/ilec,vz for discussions
of the new plan and ... (just remember that many of the posters are there
because they are having 'some' problem; but, my service has been always VERY
reliable).

HTH

From: "David Cook" <someone@nowhere.net>

| Can some DSL-knowledgeable person please explain
| the difference between Verizon's 'high-speed DSL' and
| 'low-speed DSL' packages?
|
| Here's the details: Go to http://getconnected.com/
| and choose 'High-speed Internet' on the left. You'll
| then get a dialog box, where you must enter a phone-number
| street-address and zip-code.
|
| (Use mine if you want:)
| (941)355-2788
| 5828 Lakeside Woods Cir
| 34243
| (That zip-code happens to be in Sarasota Florida)
|
| You might have to do this TWICE before you get a full LIST of
| ISP providers.
|
| The salient point is that, in my area at least, Verizon seems NOW
| to offer both a slower-speed DSL option (which only promises 768K-bits out
| and
| 128K-bits in), for $14.95 per month (after introductory free days
| etc expire). They also offer a higher-speed DSL (which promises 3M-bits out
| and
| 768K-bits in) for a steady $29.95 a month (after intro free days/months
| expire).
|
| This first first (lower-speed) option has a one-year price guarantee on it.
|
| What I'm really wanting to know/understand is whether this is just a
| marketing
| difference (short term pricing offer) or whether there are underlying
| cabling
| differences (e.g. need new fiber vs older copper-pairs either in my
| residential
| neighborhood and/or into my residence to qualify for the faster high-speed
| DSL
| service?
|
| I suspect his might be a marketing game, because I know of a few friends in
| this local area, all of whom have only copper-pairs coming into their
| houses.
| Yet, they are all paying for the 'high-speed DSL' plan. (Because none of
| them
| had ever heard of this apparently-newer low-speed DSL plan.)
|
| What's up with this low-speed plan? (e.g. When did Verizon start offering
| it, etc.)
|
| [Right now I'm a Comcast-broadband customer who is considering downgrading
| to DSL and I'm tempted to downgrade all the way to 'low-speed' depending on
| what this research reveals.]
|
| Cheers...
|
| Dave

Sure...

For $15.00 per month you can get ADSL from Verizon for 768 Kb/s download and 128 Kb/s upload

For $30.00 ~ 38.00 per month you can get ADSL from Verizon for 1500 Kb/s download and 768
Kb/s upload
{ actual download speed is dependent upon distance from CO }

http://www22.verizon.com/ForHomeDSL/channels/dsl/packages/default.asp

And to combat Comcast's constant bashing of ADSL, you can also get FIOS (aka; FTTP - Fiber
to the Premises)

5 Mb/s download 2 Mb/s upload $34.95 ~ $39.95

15 Mb/s download 2 Mb/s upload $44.95 ~ $49.95

30 Mb/s download 5 Mb/s upload $44.95 ~ $49.95

http://www22.verizon.com/fiosforhome/channels/fios/root/package.asp

{ The above price ranges reflect just the service or the service as being part of a
package.}

PS: A very satisfied DSL customer for 5 1/2 years. Started @ $40.00/month for 640Kb/s
download and 90Kb/s upload and now I get 1500 Kb/s download and 384Kb/s upload for
$30.00/month.

Note: All prices exclude tax and FCC FUSF fees.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

In news:%23$JutnXtFHA.2392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
David H. Lipman <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> typed:

> Sure...
>
> For $15.00 per month you can get ADSL from Verizon for 768 Kb/s
> download and 128 Kb/s upload
>
> For $30.00 ~ 38.00 per month you can get ADSL from Verizon for
> 1500
> Kb/s download and 768 Kb/s upload
> { actual download speed is dependent upon distance from CO }
>
> http://www22.verizon.com/ForHomeDSL/channels/dsl/packages/default.asp
>

> And to combat Comcast's constant bashing of ADSL, you can also
> get
> FIOS (aka; FTTP - Fiber to the Premises)
>
> 5 Mb/s download 2 Mb/s upload $34.95 ~ $39.95
>
> 15 Mb/s download 2 Mb/s upload $44.95 ~ $49.95
>
> 30 Mb/s download 5 Mb/s upload $44.95 ~ $49.95

My son has their new FiOS service, the 5Mb one, and is very happy
with it. I've used it at his house, and I can testify that it's
very fast and reliable.

Please reply to the newsgroup

From: "andre" <andre@not-here.com>

| Old timer alert: I first got DSL from Bell Atlantic at which time the max
| was 640/90. Now at 3000/768.
|
| The low-speed is a new plan just made available is the last couple of weeks.
| Shouldn't be a problem with the low-speed; but, the are no guaranteed speeds
| for residential DSL. And it is subject to distance limitations. The
| differences are marketing based - there are no differences in the user
| setup/equipment.
|
| Suggest you visit: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/ilec,vz for discussions
| of the new plan and ... (just remember that many of the posters are there
| because they are having 'some' problem; but, my service has been always VERY
| reliable).
|
| HTH

I gues you were not at home but in your office on Market Street in Philadelphia when you
posted this ;-)

From: "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain>

| My son has their new FiOS service, the 5Mb one, and is very happy
| with it. I've used it at his house, and I can testify that it's
| very fast and reliable.
|
| --
| Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
| Please reply to the newsgroup

They offer FIOS in towns surrounding me but... not mine. Yet !

It is interesting to see the Cable companies battle it out with the telcos.

The Cable companies now provide VoIP so they compete with telcos in telephony.

Verizon is now providing FIOS to the home and hopes to soon offer cable-like video over FIOS
so it can compete with cable companies.

Here in NJ the Cable comapnies are pulling out all measures to stop Verizon from being able
to offer cable-like video services.

I think the consumer is to be the winner in this one ! Competition is the name of the game.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

I've their $30 plan and pay $35 after tax over the skyway

"David Cook" <someone@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Can some DSL-knowledgeable person please explain
> the difference between Verizon's 'high-speed DSL' and
> 'low-speed DSL' packages?
>
> Here's the details: Go to http://getconnected.com/
> and choose 'High-speed Internet' on the left. You'll
> then get a dialog box, where you must enter a phone-number
> street-address and zip-code.
>
> (Use mine if you want:)
> (941)355-2788
> 5828 Lakeside Woods Cir
> 34243
> (That zip-code happens to be in Sarasota Florida)
>
> You might have to do this TWICE before you get a full LIST of
> ISP providers.
>
> The salient point is that, in my area at least, Verizon seems NOW
> to offer both a slower-speed DSL option (which only promises 768K-bits out
> and
> 128K-bits in), for $14.95 per month (after introductory free days
> etc expire). They also offer a higher-speed DSL (which promises 3M-bits
> out and
> 768K-bits in) for a steady $29.95 a month (after intro free days/months
> expire).
>
> This first first (lower-speed) option has a one-year price guarantee on
> it.
>
> What I'm really wanting to know/understand is whether this is just a
> marketing
> difference (short term pricing offer) or whether there are underlying
> cabling
> differences (e.g. need new fiber vs older copper-pairs either in my
> residential
> neighborhood and/or into my residence to qualify for the faster high-speed
> DSL
> service?
>
> I suspect his might be a marketing game, because I know of a few friends
> in
> this local area, all of whom have only copper-pairs coming into their
> houses.
> Yet, they are all paying for the 'high-speed DSL' plan. (Because none of
> them
> had ever heard of this apparently-newer low-speed DSL plan.)
>
> What's up with this low-speed plan? (e.g. When did Verizon start offering
> it, etc.)
>
> [Right now I'm a Comcast-broadband customer who is considering downgrading
> to DSL and I'm tempted to downgrade all the way to 'low-speed' depending
> on
> what this research reveals.]
>
> Cheers...
>
> Dave

Will be interesting to see which goes bankrupt first and how much
service you lose in the long run.