Administrator Rights

September 9, 2005 4:31:28 PM

I'd like to know how others deal with programs that require Administrator
rights or they refuse to run. I'm currently running Windows 2000 Pro, but
I'll be moving to XP and the issue is the same with either OS.

I don't want my domain users to have Administrator rights because they
install things like webshots and ITunes and other junk that could lead to
spyware.

How do others balance this?

Thanks!

More about : administrator rights

Anonymous
September 9, 2005 7:46:14 PM

You need to look into what the program is trying to do (read/write files, read-write to the Registry and etc) and adjust permissions accordingly to allow lower privileged users to run these types of programs. Also consider programs that carry the Designed for Windows XP logo. These programs should not try to access portions of the file system/registry where non-admin users don't have the necessary permissions.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A475FC49-88D8-4B43-A735-6831D0D3B621@microsoft.com...

> I'd like to know how others deal with programs that require Administrator
> rights or they refuse to run. I'm currently running Windows 2000 Pro, but
> I'll be moving to XP and the issue is the same with either OS.
>
> I don't want my domain users to have Administrator rights because they
> install things like webshots and ITunes and other junk that could lead to
> spyware.
>
> How do others balance this?
>
> Thanks!
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 1:52:13 AM

Frank wrote:
> I'd like to know how others deal with programs that require Administrator
> rights or they refuse to run. I'm currently running Windows 2000 Pro, but
> I'll be moving to XP and the issue is the same with either OS.
>
> I don't want my domain users to have Administrator rights because they
> install things like webshots and ITunes and other junk that could lead to
> spyware.
>
> How do others balance this?
>
> Thanks!

Nothing to balance, really; or rather, it's no contest. We don't
sacrifice security for the sake of using obsolete or poorly designed
applications. If an application cannot be configured to work on a
secured OS, we simply take our business elsewhere, and buy an equivalent
application (preferably from a competitor of the failed application's
manufacturer) that will work. (Unfortunately, not everyone has the
option of replacing obsolete - from a security point of view - software
when needed.)

For those rare occasions when a legacy application must remain in use,
for business reasons, the following may help:

You may experience some problems if the software was designed for
Win9x/Me, or if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly
designed. Quite simply, the application doesn't "know" how to handle
individual user profiles with differing security permissions levels, or
the application is designed to make to make changes to "off-limits"
sections of the Windows registry or protected Windows system folders.

For example, saved data may be stored in a sub-folder under the
application's folder within C:\Program Files - a place where no
inexperienced or limited user should ever have write permissions.

It may even be that the software requires "write" access to parts
of the registry or protected systems folders/files that are not normally
accessible to regular users. (This *won't* occur if the application is
properly written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're
often left with three options: Either grant the necessary users
appropriate higher access privileges (either as Power Users or local
administrators), explicitly grant normal users elevated privileges to
the affected folders and/or part(s) or the registry, or replace the
application with one that was properly designed specifically for
WinNT/2K/XP.

Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

"If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
is the default.

C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

If you wish to undo these changes, then run

C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
full control."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 10:33:46 AM

This will help you further to understand:-
'How to configure file sharing in Windows XP'

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

!